Common searches

Windows Game - Gex Enter The Gecko

Topic actions

First post, by a4orce84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,

I've recently been experiencing issues with some old computer games (DOS and Windows) and trying to get them to work. I've been trying to get the following game to work for a bit now:
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/gex-pc/

I've mainly got all my old school DOS games working via the DosBox emulator. And now trying to get some old school Windows games working via Wine. I did some Google-ing and found that it looks like Gex should work:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … rsion&iId=25810

Everytime I try to download it, and run it, I get the following error message:
Screenshot_7_15_14__10_14_AM_zps73b27849.png

If anyone could offer any assistance, or help me get this working (or confirm that the game does NOT work in Wine), I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Asif

Last edited by a4orce84 on 2014-07-15, 15:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
a4orce84 wrote:

Obviously, I don't have the CD, and am just downloading the file.

Illegally downloaded games are not supported here. Legal issues aside, the version you downloaded could very well be corrupted or otherwise incomplete, such that attempting to diagnose the problem would be futile.

Perhaps you should consider emulating the Playstation or N64 version instead.

Reply 2 of 24, by a4orce84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I was trying to locate the free shareware version, and found that first. Either way, I tried 2 downloads I found on google for Gex, and both gave me the same error message unfortunately.

Just trying to see if anyone might have any incite or tips on what I can try to get this working in Wine correctly.

Reply 3 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like it wants to launch a video.

On Windows you'd have to to install the Indeo codec or ffmpeg.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like I said, it's possible this copy of the game is missing a file that it is trying to play. It is also possible that it expects to find the movie on the root of a CD drive instead of C:\Games\Gex. (I suspect a different error would occur if it was an Indeo codec problem.)

Reply 6 of 24, by a4orce84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Jorpho,

So I took your advice, and sought out the official Gex Demo here:
http://download.cnet.com/Gex-demo/3000-2095_4 … 351.html?tag=bc

I downloaded it, and I got a blank screen with the following error message:
2014-07-15143036_zps6678ec4e.jpg

After I clicked okay, I started hearing some of the game music but everything remains blank. When I click around, it locks up and that's about as far as I get unfortunately. It appears that the game is running, I can click on some of the outside buttons (Help) like you can see in the following screenshot:
About_GEX____and_GEX_and_Wine_File_Manager_-__C__GEX_Trial_Version__and_Craig_Langerman_zpsaaf97583.png

I just can't see anything. Any ideas?

Reply 7 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh. Maybe it is a codec problem after all. (See for instance Win 3.1 game, can't get VfW or redbook audio working .)

I doubt it's impossible to install the Indeo codec in Wine, however. A quick Google reveals https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/issues/detail?id=302 .

Reply 10 of 24, by a4orce84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the codec downloaded, but instead of being ir32_32.dll, mine is called ir50_32.dll. Also, can someone help me with the batch file step:

The error can be worked around without manual install of the codec by doing this in a batch file:
#indeo codecs for the intro movie (the ir32_32.dll was added to the game exe dir)
wine reg add "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\drivers.desc" /v "ir32_32.dll" /t REG_SZ /d "Indeo® Video R3.2"
wine reg add "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Drivers32" /v "vidc.iv32" /t REG_SZ /d "ir32_32.dll"

Not sure how to actually do this, if anyone could give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Reply 11 of 24, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ir32_32.dll (Indeo3 codec) is included in the full Indeo 5.11 package. Ir50_32.dll is the different codec (Indeo5).

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 13 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have examined iv5setup.exe and there is indeed a ir32_32.dll inside it (among other things).

a4orce84 wrote:

The error can be worked around without manual install of the codec by doing this in a batch file:

If you want, you can just manually type those two lines on the Linux command line.

Reply 14 of 24, by a4orce84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using OSX Mavericks (Macbook Pro) not Linux, does that matter?

Jorpho wrote:

I have examined iv5setup.exe and there is indeed a ir32_32.dll inside it (among other things).

Can you tell em exactly where? I checked:
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\System

and I could not find the ir32_32.dll file. Is it possible you can attach it to dropbox or something for me to access please?

Reply 15 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
a4orce84 wrote:

I'm using OSX Mavericks (Macbook Pro) not Linux, does that matter?

Oh, right. Wine is pretty much the same either way, as far as I know, and I can't imagine the command line working any differently.

Jorpho wrote:

and I could not find the ir32)32.dll file. Is it possible you can attach it to dropbox or something for me to access please?

If you really can't find it anywhere, you should be able to extract it yourself using Universal Extractor or Unshield or a similar program. Or you can probably find ir32_32.dll somewhere out there with a standard Google search.

Reply 16 of 24, by a4orce84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

K got the ir32_32.dll file in the same directory as the gex.exe file. When trying to paste the commands in terminal I get this:

aahmad-mac:~ aahmad$ wine reg add "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\drivers.desc" /v "ir32_32.dll" /t REG_SZ /d "Indeo® Video R3.2"
-bash: wine: command not found

Reply 17 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you have problems with a game in Wine, visit the application compatibility database on WineHQ (or search Wine gamename on google):
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … rsion&iId=11279
If you click through the reports it is only mentioned that you might need to enable the virtual desktop of Wine (control panel).
So I guess you just need to install the originsl full game and all works fine.
For further Wine help I'd also advise visiting the Winehq forums.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 18 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As for the above error, it all depends where you got Wine from. Everything but the MacPorts version or a self compiled one is bound to fail...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper