VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I've looked everywhere, but can't seem to find a solution to my problem. It seems to be directly related to NVidia drivers.

Yesterday I was testing various Nvidia Detonator drivers for the best compatibility on my Riva TNT2, because Forceware drivers are horrible for old games. I was originally using V4.12.01.619, but updated to 4.12.01.0630. Everything seemed pretty good until I realized I was no longer able to restart in MS-DOS mode, which is quite important for me. I promptly backdated to the old drivers, but nothing changed. I was still unable to restart in MS-DOS mode. If I try to restart in MS-DOS MODE, it just hangs at an unresponsive black screen.

I then removed the display drivers completely and was able to restart in MS-DOS mode again, but obviously I'd be stuck on 16 color mode in Windows. Since then, I've tried numerous drivers from Detonator to Forceware, but nothing helps. I've also tried removing everything from autoexec.bat and dosstart.bat. I'm almost 100% certain that the installation of the 4.12.01.0630 drivers caused this issue, but I don't know how to recover from it without reinstalling Win 98 (not an option in this case).

I do have a back up image as a worst case scenario, but it's very out of date.

Any advice here would be much appreciated. Fixing the problem would be an excellent outcome, but knowing the exact cause would be 1st prize.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice. 😀

If you need me to upload any additional info, please ask.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 1 of 5, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just thought I'd reply to my own thread with a resolution, since I fixed the issue just now.

In the Bios I enabled "Assign IRQ to VGA" and it worked like magic. 😀

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sammy wrote:

Here my PC hangs when i Leave MS-DOS to restart Win98.

Perhaps you should start a new thread (and describe your problem in more detail), as that appears to be completely unrelated.

Reply 5 of 5, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:

was the Problem when you go from Windows to MS-Dos or when you leave MS-Dos to Start Windows again?

Here my PC hangs when i Leave MS-DOS to restart Win98.
It just Shows a blank Screen

It was when I went from Windows into MS-DOS Mode. However, there's a good chance that your problem is also video card related. Usually when you can't get from DOS mode back into Windows it's because of your Windows display card drivers, so you could try an alternative driver. This is especially true if when you reboot your PC after it hangs, it reverts to 640x480, 16 color mode in Windows.

It would also help to know which display card you have and what your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files look like. Like Jorpho said, perhaps it's better to start a new thread about your problem.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA