VOGONS

Common searches

Safely restoring DirectMusic functionality to Win7?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Though this is only to fix like, one game. Is there a safe, full-proof and fail-proof method to restoring the DirectMusic binaries to their non stubbed state so games like Unreal 2, et all work properly?

I refuse to turn to google for this one because I'm paranoid about modifying system files. Especially on a OS that get's mad at you when you attempt to do so.

I've been wanting to play Unreal 2 (for some stupid reason) but can't because of Microsoft's stupidity in stubbing the DirectMusic libraries. The game quickly crashes and all sorts of breaks because of the broken functionality... Hasn't Microsoft ever heard the term "If it ain't broke don't fix it"? Seriously...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 17, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I've beaten Unreal 2 on Win7......

How? I can't even get past the menu before it crashes on me because of DirectMusic being stubbed...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 17, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No because I'm having the same problem other's report with the intro crashing on them and various other parts in the game causing crashing and stuck behavior because of the DirectMusic issues.

I've been able to run this perfectly fine under Windows XP.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 17, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I refuse to turn to google for this one because I'm paranoid about modifying system files. Especially on a OS that get's mad at you when you attempt to do so.

Well you can keep that refusal up and never get the game running or you can try the saner approach of letting us go through the worries of replacing said system files:

• They're not critical files. The OS will function without them. If they cause problems you can recover them from the backup you will be making
  • If you fail to make a backup, Windows has a function (sfc /scannow) specifically to restore system files
  • If your system somehow becomes unbootable (unlikely) you usually have a recovery partition or a Windows 7 DVD that you can easily recover from using the above command
  • There's a batch file in the comments that will do everything automatically eliminating the risk of you screwing up

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I'm not digging around for an alternate fix that only you need and that will benefit no one else.

Reply 11 of 17, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

They're not critical files. The OS will function without them. If they cause problems you can recover them from the backup you will be making

They're "critical" in the sense that you have to practically change them from another OS and somehow make sure that the filesystem remains consistent and Windows doesn't realize the files don't match up with what it had previously.

ZellSF wrote:

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I'm not digging around for an alternate fix that only you need and that will benefit no one else.

I'm not the only person that had this problem you know. Why others are saying they're able to get the game working I'll never understand. This is a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate and my previous machine used a OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and I never gotten the game working on either.

I would try getting it off Steam or GOG but I have zero money at hand for that and I have the CD's right here with me anyways. Unless I'm mistaken I even seen someone on GOG forums complain about the game crashing on the menu and various parts of the single player not executing properly because of the DirectMusic stubs.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I installed the Steam version and found that the intro doesn't work right as mentioned online. But the gameplay works alright. I honestly have beaten this game on Win7 x64. Maybe the music doesn't work quite perfectly and I didn't notice.

I am using OpenAL hardware. I would have played with an Audigy, X-Fi or X-Fi MB software.

I will experiment with the CD version sometime.

Reply 15 of 17, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I'm not the only person that had this problem you know. Why others are saying they're able to get the game working I'll never understand.

You're probably the only person with the problem who knows about a fix and refuses to do it despite me trying to go through all your worries about it.

You need to provide proper reasons why you can't run the fix, or it will never be improved.

Have you even tried steps 1-4 on the page you've surely found via Google? The steps that do not involve editing system files at all?

Reply 16 of 17, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

That's true for Daikatana too 😀 only incompetent programming can make loading screens that fake loading.

Yes, but not for fanmade version 1.3. 😀

Worst slow loading offender: Deus Ex: Invisible War. Sadly, it's still slow with VSync turned off. 😢

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 17 of 17, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

That's true for Daikatana too 😀 only incompetent programming can make loading screens that fake loading.

Not "incompetent"
Too much Windows pre-NT compliant.

You can see this really well in Unreal 2, using Win98Se and than switch to WinXP (back in the days).