VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pentium200mmx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have problem with my voodoo 2. I installed latest drivers for my voodoo 2 and i restarted my computer. After restart windows freezes when desktop appears.
Here's my specs:
Asus P/I P55TP4N Socket 7
Intel Pentium 200MMX
80gb WD IDE HDD
OPTi Sound Card
Diamond Multimedia Stealth 64
Voodoo 2 CT6670
128mb RAM
Sry for my english.

Last edited by pentium200mmx on 2014-07-21, 17:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, "freezes to desktop" doesn't make sense. Sometimes people say a program "crashes to desktop" when a program crashes without any error message, but no one says "freezes to desktop".

Do you mean that Windows freezes when the desktop appears? Does it still work in safe mode?

Reply 2 of 24, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you've got the same problem as Totempole did -- Win 98se Can't restart in MS-DOS mode anymore
It's not the same video card, but it's a similar vintage, on Windows 98.

Totempole wrote:

In the Bios I enabled "Assign IRQ to VGA" and it worked like magic.

If Totempole's solution doesn't help, boot to Safe Mode and uninstall those Voodoo drivers that didn't work.

Reply 3 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Voodoo2 normally serves as nothing more than a passthrough (except when actually running 3D games), so this problem is likely to be entirely unrelated to Mr. Totempole's problems with restarting in MS-DOS mode.

Reply 6 of 24, by eFatal2ty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1.Reset your motherboard to defaults BIOS settings by Clear CMOS. Voodoo cards does not need an IRQ. Set it to Auto or N/A in BIOS. Properly uninstall old drivers and use olny refference drivers, for example: 3dfx Voodoo2 V3.02.02 http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm

*ASUS P3B-F *Intel Pentium!!! 450MHz Katmai@133fsb *Hynix 4x128MB SDR PC133 CL2 *Matrox G400MAX 32MB + Procomp Voodoo2 12MB SLi *Creative SB Live! CT4760 *3Com 3C905C-TX-M *2xSeagate 40GB 7200rpmn *EIZO T68 19"CRT * Creative FPS1000 *OS: MS Win 98SE

Reply 7 of 24, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo 2 have an issue with your primary VGA. There is a TSR included in the Voodoo 2 installation CD that fixes it. It's an addressing conflict. Keep the BIOS option to assign IRQ for VGA enabled or you'll have problems with your primary card.

Reply 8 of 24, by pentium200mmx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is no option called "IRQ for VGA", but there is manual IRQ-configuration in bios. I downloaded Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 drivers cd and try to install drivers from it. Can somebody tell me what is right IRQ for primary vga card?

Reply 9 of 24, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentium200mmx wrote:

There is no option called "IRQ for VGA", but there is manual IRQ-configuration in bios. I downloaded Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 drivers cd and try to install drivers from it. Can somebody tell me what is right IRQ for primary vga card?

Any IRQ should do it. Just leave the BIOS setting on default. The conflict doesn't happen with IRQ since the voodoo graphics and voodoo 2 cards don't use any, but with memory intervals. The TSR just changes it so they won't conflict. If you don't find this TSR on your downloaded CD, try downloading the Diamond Monster 3D or the Monster 3D II CD. These will have the program you need.

Reply 10 of 24, by pentium200mmx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:
pentium200mmx wrote:

Any IRQ should do it. Just leave the BIOS setting on default. The conflict doesn't happen with IRQ since the voodoo graphics and voodoo 2 cards don't use any, but with memory intervals. The TSR just changes it so they won't conflict. If you don't find this TSR on your downloaded CD, try downloading the Diamond Monster 3D or the Monster 3D II CD. These will have the program you need.

I installed Diamond Monster 3D II drivers from cd and my computer still crashes on startup.

Reply 12 of 24, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentium200mmx wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:
pentium200mmx wrote:

I installed Diamond Monster 3D II drivers from cd and my computer still crashes on startup.

The TSR will not install along with the drivers. You'll have to find it manually on the CD, copy it to your hard drive and add a line for it in autoexec.bat

Reply 14 of 24, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentium200mmx wrote:

Where is the TSR-file in cd?

It seems that it's only present in Monster 3D 1 CD. I took a look at Monster 3DII CD and it's not there, but there are instructions in the manual. It says: "If your Stealth64 is mapped at EE000000, then change Monster 3D to E0000000. If Stealth64 is mapped at FA000000, then change Monster 3D to FC000000". You may have to boot into safe mode to do this.

Reply 16 of 24, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentium200mmx wrote:

Ok, i checked is there memory conflict and i found one conflict. Only problem is the conflict is mapped 0000FFFF and i don't know what value i should change.

I think any value should do it as long as it's free.

Reply 18 of 24, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentium200mmx wrote:

I fixed crashing problem and now is new problem. The problem is when i start 3d game game graphics color changes all over the time. Is my voodoo or Stealth 64 broken?

Does it happen with every 3D API?