VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get the South park 1998 game working on my Windows 7 PC, but it isn't starting up. The game installed just fine, but when I go to start the game, nothing happens, I've tried every compatibility settings and running as administrator, and even tried using a no-CD crack, but nothing helped.

So I tried looking the problem up, and saw some people with the same problem, including several on here, but found no solution. So I decided to post the problem myself, and thought here would be a good place to do it, so... here I am...

So how can I get it working on my PC? Preferably without using virtual machines, because I don't like using those, the screens are always tiny...

Reply 1 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cobra! wrote:

So I tried looking the problem up, and saw some people with the same problem, including several on here, but found no solution.

Perhaps you could post links to what you found, so that we do not re-tread over the same territory?

You might also consider just running one of the console versions.

Reply 2 of 31, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

16-bit software dont run on 64-bits operating systems.. It only works on 32-bits operating systems, sadly.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What on Earth gave you the idea that this was a 16-bit game from 1998?

A bit more digging suggests that the game works with nGlide, if you install the associated patch.
http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

Reply 4 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because south park's graphics are crappy untextured stuff = automatically assuming 16-bit "ATARI SHIT'!!!1!11

also

Jorpho wrote:

You might also consider just running the one N64 console version

fixed. Disregard the PSX version at all costs

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 31, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Cobra! wrote:

So I tried looking the problem up, and saw some people with the same problem, including several on here, but found no solution.

Perhaps you could post links to what you found, so that we do not re-tread over the same territory?

Oh, okay, well I found this thread: Outlaws & South Park

I also found this thread, although it's for running the game on Windows XP: South Park in windows XP

leilleilol wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

You might also consider just running the one N64 console version

fixed. Disregard the PSX version at all costs

Well if I emulate the N64 version, I won't get mouse control, and I've seen the PC version in action on Youtube, and the draw distance is far better than the console versions.

Besides, I don't like emulating games unless I own them, which I don't, and even if I did, I have a working N64, so it'd be pointless emulating it.

EDIT:

Jorpho wrote:

A bit more digging suggests that the game works with nGlide, if you install the associated patch.

Okay, I already had Nglide installed, so I installed the patch, and it installed okay (or so it said), but the game still doesn't run...

Reply 6 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cobra! wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Okay, I already had Nglide installed, so I installed the patch, and it installed okay (or so it said), but the game still doesn't run...

Well, let's break this down a bit. Have you successfully used nGlide with anything else? When you installed the patch, did you rename 'southpark.exe' to 'southpark3.exe', like it says? And most importantly, what do you mean when you say "it doesn't run"? What exactly happens? A blank screen? A whirling mouse cursor? Anything?

Reply 7 of 31, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Cobra! wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Well, let's break this down a bit. Have you successfully used nGlide with anything else?

I have, I got Rayman 2, Driver and Rollcage working with Nglide, and the only issues I've been having is that Rayman 2 only runs 30fps, but it runs it smoother than other glide wrappers I've tried...

Jorpho wrote:

When you installed the patch, did you rename 'southpark.exe' to 'southpark3.exe', like it says?

Yep, I did.

Jorpho wrote:

And most importantly, what do you mean when you say "it doesn't run"? What exactly happens? A blank screen? A whirling mouse cursor? Anything?

That's the thing, nothing happens, the cursor goes into the loading icon, but then nothing after that. I tried checking task manager to see what happens, it seems to run it for a few seconds, then it closes itself, I've tried running as admin and using compatibility modes, still nothing...

Reply 8 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The most thorough debugging technique I resort to is getting Process Monitor from sysinternals.com and looking for any unusual file accesses after starting the program, but that can get tedious and isn't always particularly helpful.

It remains that the nGlide forums seem to think it's possible to get this game to run. Maybe you can try using the Application Compatibility Toolkit to patch it manually?

http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic. … ilit=park#p3111 says:

System ACT database include IgnoreLoadLibrary fix for this game. So - disable this entry and add .exe in a custom database with AddWritePermissionsToDeviceFiles and IgnoreSheduler ACT fixes.

Presumably the patch has the other ACT fixes discussed at http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide .

Reply 10 of 31, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Now that's something I never knew, thanks! I'll try it.

Could you please get back to us if you find anything? I really want to get this program running, but I can't get it working even after trying a bunch of stuff on ACT!

Reply 11 of 31, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cobra! wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Now that's something I never knew, thanks! I'll try it.

Could you please get back to us if you find anything? I really want to get this program running, but I can't get it working even after trying a bunch of stuff on ACT!

Just tried, still no luck. I'm currently on Win7 32 bits. Even the fix supplied by Zeus Software doesn't work for me either.

Reply 12 of 31, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay... What now? There HAS to be a way to get the game working on Windows 7! Every game I've ever got for the PC, regardless of year of release or intended windows version or anything, I have had working on my PC in some way, shape or form! I believe it's possible to get any Windows game working on another Windows PC!

Reply 13 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cobra! wrote:

I really want to get this program running, but I can't get it working even after trying a bunch of stuff on ACT!

Sir, the more precise you are, the more feasible it may be to suggest a course of action. Don't just say you "tried a bunch of stuff".

I might suggest downgrading your video card drivers – except you haven't even told us what your video card hardware is.

Reply 14 of 31, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Cobra! wrote:

I really want to get this program running, but I can't get it working even after trying a bunch of stuff on ACT!

Sir, the more precise you are, the more feasible it may be to suggest a course of action. Don't just say you "tried a bunch of stuff".

That makes sense, but to be honest, I didn't understand many of the options at all, so I tried enabling and disabling a bunch of them, one at a time of course, hoping in vain that it would do something, but nothing made a difference. Sorry that I'm not being very helpful...

Jorpho wrote:

I might suggest downgrading your video card drivers – except you haven't even told us what your video card hardware is.

The laptop I'm currently using uses an AMD E-300, and it uses Win 7 64-bit

Wouldn't downgrading the driver put a dent into performance of more modern games? Assuming that downgrading does the trick, I'd have to be constantly installing and uninstalling drivers to switch between games, which doesn't seem very convenient to me.

I doubt this will be very helpful, but I figured out that the crack I was using wasn't really a crack at all, but the real exe, but it had a program that cracks it for you, but it's a DOS app (with a ".com" extension, I thought it as some virus file advertising a site, so I avoided it), so I ran it under DOSBox + D-Fend, and got the game cracked, and then applied the patch, and it still didn't work, but when I used task manager to see what happened to the file, I noticed it lasted a little longer this time before closing itself. Also, Razor Game Booster recognised it as a game, and went into boost mode. Could they mean anything?

Last edited by Cobra! on 2014-08-10, 16:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 31, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic. … ilit=park#p3111 says:

System ACT database include IgnoreLoadLibrary fix for this game. So - disable this entry and add .exe in a custom database with AddWritePermissionsToDeviceFiles and IgnoreSheduler ACT fixes.

Presumably the patch has the other ACT fixes discussed at http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide .

When you rename the .exe - this DISABLES the system ACT database entry for the game.
When you install Zeus' patch - you add AddWritePermissionToDeviceFiles for southpark3.exe.
So - no, if the game not works with above method - you can't run the game with the "disable entry" method.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 16 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cobra! wrote:

The PC I usually use is broken, and that uses a GeForce GT 545, if that helps

Why would we care about the hardware of a computer you're not trying to use..?

Cobra! wrote:

That makes sense, but to be honest, I didn't understand many of the options at all, so I tried enabling and disabling a bunch of them, one at a time of course, hoping in vain that it would do something, but nothing made a difference.

...And why would you do that when the names of the applicable fixes are apparently already established?

Wouldn't downgrading the driver put a dent into performance of more modern games?

Oh, probably, but it's worth a try for debugging purposes.

Also, Razor Game Booster recognised it as a game, and went into boost mode.

Maybe you should close "Game Booster" and whatever else you might happen to have running in the background.

Gamecollector wrote:

When you rename the .exe - this DISABLES the system ACT database entry for the game.
When you install Zeus' patch - you add AddWritePermissionToDeviceFiles for southpark3.exe.
So - no, if the game not works with above method - you can't run the game with the "disable entry" method.

We have limited information to work with at this point; maybe the system ACT database still has other fixes other than IgnoreLoadLibrary.

Reply 17 of 31, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it looks like right now that there's no way to get the game working on Windows 7.

I was thinking until a solution comes up, I could use a virtual PC and run Windows 98 or Windows ME on it, but with VMWare player, when I play games on it, the screens are tiny and have giant black borders, and Virtual Box just reboots the OS when I try to play a game on it, does anybody know of anyway to fix either problem?

Reply 18 of 31, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Gamecollector wrote:

We have limited information to work with at this point; maybe the system ACT database still has other fixes other than IgnoreLoadLibrary.

Well, I have looked, there are 2 more fixes. IgnoreAltTab (no matter) and IgnoreSheduler. The 2nd one can affect the game...
Unfortunatedly I don't have PC/notebook with Win7 installed (Vista is the maximum) so I can't test this solution.
Try included patch, I have added IgnoreSheduler for southpark3.exe.

P.S. I have tested this game with my notebook (Core2Duo T7500, 3 GB RAM, Geforce 9500M GS, Vista-64 bit Home Premium Sp2). The game is working ok with and without IgnoreSheduler.

Attachments

• Filename
    South Park ACT fix.7z
    File size
    601 Bytes
    Downloads
    390 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 19 of 31, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, now we're getting somewhere! I'm getting an error saying no CD is inserted, and the crack patch seemed to make it not work again.

I'll be honest, I downloaded an iso to see if the game works before buying the actual game, because, at least over here in Scotland, the game seems to be quite rare, and expensive on the PC, and wanted to see if I can get it working before I buy it. I guess now I have to buy the game to see if it works, which is fair enough.

So it may be a while before I get back to you on whether or not it really works. Unless someone with the actual game can tell you before me, that is. I hope that's alright?