Common searches

Dino Safari

Topic actions

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This game has been a real bear.

I'll start buy saying it is my goal to get it working in Dosbox + Win 3.1.

First I prepared a copy of windows with QT 2.1.2. I then imaged my disc of the game and mounted the image to the D:. The rest of the autoexec section of my conf file sets up the windows paths and then calls windows.

Within Windows I have it set to 640x480 at 256 colors as the game requests. The first problem I ran into when installing the game was the newer version of quicktime spotting the older version on the game cd.

So I copied thee files from the game cd to a new folder mounted that folder as the D drive, reset everything back to a clean win 3.1 install. This time I ran the QT 2.1.2 install and allowed it to delete the old copy of quicktime found in the games CD files. I then installed the game. No luck. I try the latest SVN. No luck. I try an old (2012) copy of the SVN Daum build... it works!.. sorta...

Essentially, no matter what version I use the game will launch and allow me to start a new game or load an old one. It then lets me proceed to the next room and choose a crystal (each represents a different dinosaur they are tracking). From there you click to the right and proceed down the hall. If I don't click anything, the game locks at the end of the hall. If I click to skip the animation it gets me to a pod, but then quickly locks up after that (game freezes and accepts no more input - same as the end of the hall). It appears that either certain sounds are the need for quicktime causes the game to lock up (even though the little green man who hosts the game talks me all the time).

The DAUM build plays the animations at the end of the hall and lets me start playing the game. But if I move a little too fast, click the wrong thing, or cut off a sound byte - I can easily find myself locked up.

Since this is sort of a wonky situation I thought I'd ask you guys and see if there were any ideas floating around as to how I might stabilize the game a bit more. Also, I find it odd that my old 2012 build of the SVN Daum version works, but a newer build causes errors just trying to launch windows.