VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know of a really good Tank simulator for DOS/Windows? Single player only, please, I don't like playing MMO games like World of Tanks.

I've been on a a DCS A-10C kick, and would like to play a game featuring it's main target (I know, A-10s are more CAS now, and were intended for Maritime Interdiction, too).

Oh, and that SAM simulator from hungary is HARD, even following the English instructions. I haven't been able to shoot down a damn thing...

Reply 4 of 10, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truth5678 wrote:

Is that a hobby like flight sims where the controller set costs 3x that and some build cockpits for much more? Perhaps the price tag is very small compared to the overall cost of true entry. 😀

I dunno, it'll be a while before I an the spare cash for it. I'm saving up for exercise equipment, a NAS w/multiple 4 TB drives, and I want to buy THIS HOTAS or THIS X52 for DCS A-10C and DCS Black Shark. My 360 controller just ain't cutting it.

The Hotas warthog is like $500 on it's own, but I'm told it's money very well spent. Kinda like everybody here telling me to pick up a physical MT-32/CM-32l/or SC-88, instead of relying on soundfonts via BASSMIDI or Munt.

Reply 5 of 10, by truth_deleted

User metadata

There is a web site that sells controllers specific to tanks in these simulations, but they don't list a price. 🙁 There is some discussion of pragmatic controllers for Steel Beasts here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=15231.

For the general case, it's not very prudent to chase (100%) perfect reproduction. For one it's costly and it requires chasing the latest fashion (or interpretation of what is originally intended by the authors). 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know how realistic a tank sim you're looking for but one of my all time favs is Treadmarks.

Shot07.jpg

Single or multi-player fast-action tanks game with power-ups, special weapons, etc. Quake 3 Arena with tanks.

DRM free and its $4.99 USD price won't break your budget.