VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been looking for this forever and all possible links to it are dead and archive.org's got nothing...

Does anyone have the NoFix executable that makes this run again on Vista/7 and beyond? I'm talking about the guy who did the patch for Tribes also did one for Starsiege in a similar fashion, but I've been unable to track this patch down.

Unrelated but: Are there any NoCD methods for this game? Years ago I tried to look for one and the only NoCD method I found could result in game instability with the single player campaign, among other things. I wouldn't mind if there isn't but my CD's have seen better days and I would like to see if I can hack the game to play "fake CDDA tracks" off the harddrive rather than off my actual scratched up Disc 2.

(yes I play Starsiege with Disc 2, the music on Disc 1 is too short and only one particular track on Disc 1 is even remotely interesting and worth listening to)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the mem.dll is the main thing that makes it Vista compatible. The installer also includes all of the relevant patches and lets you play without the CD after installing. It rips and compresses the CDA tracks for the CD music during game play via _inmm.

I would appreciate any comments you may have about the installer as it is one of the installers that I have had little feedback on and there is only so much you can determine from testing on a single machine.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 7, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might have to wait because my Starsiege discs are too scratched up to install off of...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried to copy them too your hard drive to create new discs? Some data recovery programs may be able to help with some of the harder to copy files. I have had pretty good luck with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier. There are probably some better ones out there. The CDA tracks may be another issue. Another possibility is one of the disc buffing devices that use a very fine abrasive to buff out minor scratches and polish the discs. Obviously not something that you want to do too often, but if a disc is that far gone, why not.

Edit: I just found this on eBay for US $5.48 buy it now with free shipping -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starsiege-Tribes-2-PC … =item58b2fe3c3a

The seller is a top rated seller with 37759 feedbacks at 100% positive.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 7, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You linked to someone selling Tribes 2, which I already have.

I've read about buffing discs but I get a feeling if I attempted something like that I might end up doing it completely wrong.

I've tried copying traditionally and I end up getting stuck then the cd drive just spins down and stops responding.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry about that, I grabbed the wrong one. Now I can't find the one I had intended to link. Here is one for $8.49 free shipping from a seller with a 99.6% Positive rating on 21093 feedbacks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starsiege-PC-CD-Compu … =item58b0f66afb