Common searches

Expendable (by Rage) bump mapping issue

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 131, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used the full version bundled with my Creative TNT2 card. According to the manual/readme its the retail version (no words about any OEM changes).

System:
AMD K6-III+ @ 500mhz
Epox Socket 7 motherboard, latest BIOS. MVP3 chipset
128MB SDRAM
G400 16MB (I don't own a G450)
AWE64 Value

I installed the latest drivers found on Matrox's webpage.
I then installed the game, no issues, standard installation path (C:\Program Files\...)
Tested the game, only got the PowerVR card in the Display Adapter selector, but the game ran fine 😀
Copied over the patch files into the directory. Tried to run the game, but crash to desktop.
Opened Setup and saw only PowerVR card could be selected, so I figured it was messing stuff up. Powered down and removed it.
Back into Windows the G400 finally recognized by Setup as a Display Adapter.
Selected 1024x768 16bit, everything else checked. Sound Miles Fast 2D. Game starts up with AMD K6 screen 😀
After some more testing when I tried to select 32bit color it crashes to desktop. Dunno what causes this, could be drivers.

EDIT: Regarding 32bit color and Matrox G400 I see alot of other people are complaining about crashes in Expendable on Google Groups.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Darn you Rage / Matrox! This kept me up all night

Vetz thank you! It was indeed the colour mode. It needs to be 16 bit 😵

kiKjHnw.png

CxxgWdZ.png

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 131, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Opened Setup and saw only PowerVR card could be selected, so I figured it was messing stuff up. Powered down and removed it.

Couldn't you have just simply unchecked "Enable PowerVR HAL" in the PowerVR Tab in Display Properties?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 23 of 131, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
vetz wrote:

Couldn't you have just simply uncheck "Enable PowerVR HAL" in the PowerVR Tab in Display Properties?

I tried that, but it had no effect.

Reply 24 of 131, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Darn you Rage / Matrox! This kept me up all night

Vetz thank you! It was indeed the colour mode. It needs to be 16 bit 😵

Heh, I know the feeling ,)

Will you try and figure out the 32bit issue? An earlier driver might work better.

Reply 25 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Will you try and figure out the 32bit issue? An earlier driver might work better.

Thing is I found ZERO references about the colour mode online. Maybe it simply doesn't work with 32 bit?

But yes, I can try an older driver but the 450 is newer so not sure how far back I can go.

I got some G400 cards incoming now (a bit redundant, but what can you do) and will document this issue on my website and via a video. I shall mention all you helpful friends 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok it seems 32 bit mode works in 640 x 480 and 800 x 600. Of course I had to always try 1024 x 768 😵

I think this concludes the issue. The limits with the EMBM patch seem to be 1024 x 768 in 16 bit colour and 800 x 600 in 32 bit colour.

Without the patch you can go all the way to 1600 x 1200 in 16 and 1280 x 1024 in 32 bit.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2014-08-18, 22:41. Edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 131, by Ahcruna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sweet! thanks for doing the research :p
Most of the youtube posts were made while I was at work, so I wasn't that much of a help.

But yes! that's exactly how I remember the game. 😀
Still looks nice in my opinion.

Reply 28 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe that's why VOGONS is so awesome.

A big THANK YOU to every who helped!

My YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 131, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The copy of the game that I have came with my G400. I always understood it to be version modified specifically for the G400.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 30 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

The copy of the game that I have came with my G400. I always understood it to be version modified specifically for the G400.

Cool!

Another question for everyone. Does the texture compression work with the G400? The readme mentions the S3 cards in particular but I believe later cards eventually all adopted S3TC?

My YouTube channel

Reply 32 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Do any later Matrox cards support EMBM, or is it only offered on the G400/G450?

Are the G550 and Parhelia AGPthe the last AGP card or are there others?

I will soon be able to test the 550 but haven't looked at other cards.

If anyone knows a good summary table that shows all the Matrox cards and differences that would be helpful.

My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 131, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

If anyone knows a good summary table that shows all the Matrox cards and differences that would be helpful.

For a start:
http://www.512bit.net/matrox.html
http://pclinks.xtreemhost.com/video_tnt.htm

Reply 36 of 131, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Matrox used to be my graphics card of choice. I had a Millennium II, the G400, a G450 and I inherited a Parhelia.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 37 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More weirdness...

I have another Matrox card and I thought it was a G550 because it's half-height and with a DVI port. But turns out it is a G450 DVI.

Now get this. The card does all the resolutions with EMBM patch enabled!

Another difference, in the Expendable Setup dialogue it doesn't show 0 x 0. 0 bit colour as default. But remembers the last resolution. Might be a driver bug...

But yea, 1280 x 1024 at 32 bit with EMBM is fully working. Slow as heck, but nevertheless. 1280 x 960 is recommended however. Doesn't vertically stretch the image.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2014-08-19, 10:36. Edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 131, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember this being packaged along with my G400, but I unfortunately I've lost the related disc.

Would love to see more of these early 3d cards supported by DOSBox, though I know the devs are loath for it to become a WinBox.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 39 of 131, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

More weirdness...

I have another Matrox card and I thought it was a G550 because it's half-height and with a DVI port. But turns out it is a G450 DVI.

Now get this. The card does all the resolutions with EMBM patch enabled!

Do the cards have the same amount of memory? If one has 16MB and the other has 32MB that might be an explanation.
With 1024x768x4x3 bytes used for frame + Z buffer texture memory begins to get less with 16MB. And I suppose bump mapping will need additional texture memory. Usually AGP texturing will help but maybe that's not the case here.