Common searches

Expendable (by Rage) bump mapping issue

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The G400 came in 16 and 32 MB versions but the G450 should be a 32 MB card. But I will check. And maybe some memory is faulty who knows...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 41 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're right. It seems to be a 16 MB card 😢

At least this is what 3DMark 99 Max shows in System Info. Quite surprised. Didn't know that G450 cards also come as 16 MB versions.

My YouTube channel

Reply 42 of 131, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

At least this is what 3DMark 99 Max shows in System Info. Quite surprised. Didn't know that G450 cards also come as 16 MB versions.

My card is also a 16MB version. I guess that is the reason why you can't run in higher resolutions in 32bit than 800x600.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 43 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that explains it:

idspispopd wrote:

Do the cards have the same amount of memory? If one has 16MB and the other has 32MB that might be an explanation.
With 1024x768x4x3 bytes used for frame + Z buffer texture memory begins to get less with 16MB. And I suppose bump mapping will need additional texture memory. Usually AGP texturing will help but maybe that's not the case here.

Good thing is I got more cards coming 😀

The G400 is faster than the G450 (something with the memory latency) and the G400 max is even faster. Can't wait to benchmark them.

Now I got to check out these other EMBM games and see if they have benchmarking features built in. And if EMBM is again exclusive to Matrox or not.

Drakan is mentioned and it's got a nice timedemo built in. Also Messiah, I got the original, but not sure if it has benchmarking.

My YouTube channel

Reply 44 of 131, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ Drakan is a VERY nice game as well, well worth playing

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 45 of 131, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Expendable (by Rage) bumb mapping issue"

"Bumb" mapping? What the hell is "BUMB" mapping, Mau1wurf1977? Thought for sure someone would have commented upon this by now!
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Fixed!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 47 of 131, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
"Expendable (by Rage) bumb mapping issue" […]
Show full quote

"Bumb" mapping? What the hell is "BUMB" mapping, Mau1wurf1977? Thought for sure someone would have commented upon this by now!
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Fixed!

It's funny though, why change it 🙁 Brostenen also came up with the archaic form "Aera" recently, which looks really cool. (Also, the longer we wait, the more posts you have to edit manually? 😜)

Anyway, was/is there really a patch that can let you enable EMBM on another card (say, Radeon 8500?)?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 48 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure Matrox paid Rage for this exclusive feature.

My YouTube channel

Reply 49 of 131, by RanCorX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
archsan wrote:
Stiletto wrote:
"Expendable (by Rage) bumb mapping issue" […]
Show full quote

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Fixed!

It's funny though, why change it 🙁 Brostenen also came up with the archaic form "Aera" recently, which looks really cool. (Also, the longer we wait, the more posts you have to edit manually? 😜)

Anyway, was/is there really a patch that can let you enable EMBM on another card (say, Radeon 8500?)?

funnily enough I found a thread on guru3d that someone posted years back from a user who claimed to have modified the executable to get it working on a 8500. no one replied about it though and the link is long dead for the download (if it was legit).

Last edited by RanCorX2 on 2014-08-19, 16:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 50 of 131, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Original thread on Guru3d:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=31930

Seems the patch were legit. Too bad its not on Archive.org on both the URLs I found. Another post from 2007 describing it:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33893755

Seems the guy who made the patch have a Livestream and Twitter account with the same user name. He says he is from Brazil, so most likely the same guy. Could be an idea to ask if he still has it.

Reply 51 of 131, by RanCorX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've contacted the user on rage3d to see if he's still active / has the patch. (i won't hold my breath as he was last active in 2011).

someone might find this interesting;

http://forums.guru3d.com/printthread.php?t=2805

Reply 52 of 131, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can give it a go on Twitter and the email in the thread 😀 Maybe he is the kind of guy like me who still have the same email in 2002 as I do now 😉

Reply 53 of 131, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No luck on the email

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 <edsfilho@uai.com.br>... User unknown

Reply 54 of 131, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Actually that info is on the one page I linked to (512bit.net).

Reply 55 of 131, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if someone with a copy of SoftICE or a similar debugger could find out how Expendable detects the G400 so a new patch could be made.

Reply 56 of 131, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Made a video:

Expendable Matrox G450 Environment Mapped Bump Mapping 1024 x 768

My YouTube channel

Reply 57 of 131, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thx for the video, Phil. 😀

Yes guys, those are the mythical EMBM patch threads I saw. 😄

Shame about matrox G4xx/5xx only EMBM support, as those cards are s-l-l-l-o-o-o-w-w-w.... 🙁
(well, compared to Radeon8500/GF3+ that is)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 58 of 131, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I wonder if someone with a copy of SoftICE or a similar debugger could find out how Expendable detects the G400 so a new patch could be made.

Well, you could try if 3D-Analyze helps. It helps with the Matrox Parhelia Reef demo. (Admittedly it has a special option for that one, but it has an "emulate bump map caps" option and can fake the VendorID and DeviceID.)

Reply 59 of 131, by RanCorX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

cool video 😀 water looks great for such an old game.

be cool if someone could modify the game to get the nice water on other hardware.

found this question someone asked;

http://superuser.com/questions/62831/emulatin … modern-hardware

the answer was something about writing hooks for Direct3D 6.1 dll that will replace calls for EMBM with vertex shaders. does that means anything?

also found;

http://www.rage3d.com/board/archive/index.php … t-33750492.html

3danalyze doesn't work.