VOGONS

Common searches

[solved] Motorhead - no CD music

Topic actions

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So yeah, another issue with the game. This time, I can't get the techno soundtrack to play.

To install the game on Windows 7 I was advised by Bladeforce to replace the installer with a 32 bit one, otherwise it wouldn't start. To do that I had to copy the contents of the CD onto my hard drive, and after having replaced the setup file, I installed the game from that folder. The game worked no problem other than the fact that there was no music.

I figured that because the game was installed from a folder rather than the CD, it must have searched for the music in the directory from which it was installed. The music didn't copy over from the CD because it's a mixed data CD (so the music is in the audio CD format, and cannot be copied).

So, I uninstalled the game, modified the .ccd file with Ultraiso to replace the installer and mounted the modified image. I installed the game again, this time hoping that since I'm installing the game from the image on which the music is, it would now recognize it and search for it there. But I was wrong. Still no music. Setting compatibility to Windows 95 on the game launcher didn't help either.

And, just to be clear, this is not another one of those things that just don't work on Windows 7. Re-Volt and Dethkarz, which I play frequently, also read music from their CDs the same way Motorhead does and that works fine.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Yasashii on 2014-08-20, 22:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, "Digital Illusions" should be under "Wow6432Node".

CDDA works out of the box* here on a Win8 setup btw** (and I really doubt there are any CDDA compatibility differences between Win7 and Win8) so the issue is either with your image or your configuration.

Remember CDDA games often only look for CDDA only on the first CD drive on your system (by letter, not by hardware order)

* I'm using IndirectSound, I doubt it has any effect on CDDA, but you could try.
** The game itself however does not run out of the box on Win8, needing both DXGL and nGlide as graphic wrappers in addition to IndirectSound 😒

Reply 4 of 26, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is an entry for motorhead in the Wow6432Node directory. CdDir is already set to the correct drive.

ZellSF wrote:

Remember CDDA games often only look for CDDA only on the first CD drive on your system (by letter, not by hardware order)

Hmm... in that case it would be prudent to burn the image and put it in my physical drive, which happens to be first by the letter. But... whether or not I can find an 800MB CD in my town is a mystery. The only two shops I knew for a fact sold those are out of business.

How would I go about replacing the letters of the drives so that my virtual drive can be before my physical drive?

Reply 5 of 26, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yasashii wrote:

...How would I go about replacing the letters of the drives so that my virtual drive can be before my physical drive?

Drive letters can be modified in Admin Tools->Computer Managemt->Disk Management

But if the game is only looking for the first *CD* driver by letter, then simply making sure your physical drive is the first CD drive should do it. If you have any virtual drive active they me be using the first CD letter right now. So re-letter them in the VD controls, then change the physical drive in Admin Tools.

Reply 7 of 26, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the volume is at 100%.

Hmm... I'm gonna test the image on my XP machine to see if I can get the music to work there. Although if it does, it's gonna be painful to have to play the game on that computer rather on my main one now that I got it to install and work...

Reply 9 of 26, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit this file with notepad to suit then right click on it select merge
(when you save it with notepad make sure it stays at mhead.reg and not mhead.reg.txt)

Attachments

• Filename
    mhead.zip
    File size
    305 Bytes
    Downloads
    264 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 26, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The .reg file didn't do the trick. Good thinking, though.

As for the sound settings in the game I only have a choice of direct sound or no sound.

Isn't IndirectSound used just to restore surround sound in games?

Reply 11 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yasashii wrote:

Isn't IndirectSound used just to restore surround sound in games?

It's the difference between the game running or crashing to desktop for me, so it obviously have other (if unintended) uses. Also fixes The Lost Vikings 2's music playback for whatever reason (that's not CDDA though).

I would try it to eliminate it, as Win7 and Win8 should be pretty identical when it comes to CDDA playback and that's the only difference in my setup to yours (from what you've said anyway).

I might be able to check if I get the same issue on Win7 tomorrow.

Edit: also try opening a audio player and telling it to play the audio (game) CD to see if the audio tracks actually are there...
If you're using a nocd crack, try not doing that.

Reply 12 of 26, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

If you're using a nocd crack, try not doing that.

I was using a no-cd crack since after installing the 3.0 patch (I'm obsessed with always having the latest version of any software and games), the game would no longer launch and request for a CD. However, during the installation of the patch there's a choice of what version you have. I previously picked the "US retail" version as it seemed most stock and proper.

So I thought, if I pick a different option, would drm still enable? So I reinstalled the game and this time upon installing the patch I chose the "Creative boundle" version and sure enough, now it works without the crack. And guess what... there's music now.

BUT... we've fixed one issue so naturally, another one pops out. The crack also happened to include an Nvidia gfx card fix for HUD problems. Since now I'm not using the crack, I have no HUD while racing. The main menu works fine but as soon as I enter the race, I get nothing. It's also annoying that the pause menu doesn't show up either so I have to guess how many times to click to, for example, exit the race.

Is there a different way of fixing that issue other than using the crack, then?

Edit: Actually, I've just found a non-no-cd patch which fixes the issue on this website:

http://mhtools.knoware.nl/files.htm

The game now runs fine with HUD, with music, no crashes (so far), at proper resolution and perfect performance. makes me go:

1388823353901.png

Thank you for your help!

Reply 14 of 26, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't find the 3.1 patch either, only the 3.0 patch. I think it's only the .exe file that is updated to 3.1. Try patchescrolls for the 3.0 patches and hudfix.

https://www.patches-scrolls.de/search/node/motorhead

I applied the 3.0 patch and then downloaded the 3.1 nocd from Gamecopyworld and the OEM version worked for me. Now everything works including the music. The only exception is the Widescreen which is still stretched when playing at 1920x1080.

Anyone know of a fix for the stretched widescreen?

Thanks!

Reply 15 of 26, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone managed to get this game working under Windows XP? It appears to work great under Windows 7, but I thought I would try it under Windows XP to see if the graphics look any better, but I'm not having any luck. If I use the D3d renderer the game runs, but the graphics are completely screwed up. Anyone know of a fix?

I'm using a Nvidia graphics card, GTX 770 with 368.81 drivers.

Reply 16 of 26, by V15UAL K3YS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PerryRhodan wrote:

Has anyone managed to get this game working under Windows XP? It appears to work great under Windows 7, but I thought I would try it under Windows XP to see if the graphics look any better, but I'm not having any luck. If I use the D3d renderer the game runs, but the graphics are completely screwed up. Anyone know of a fix?

I'm using a Nvidia graphics card, GTX 770 with 368.81 drivers.

I don't have Windows XP, I am using Windows 10 Home Edition x64 and I have the game working with DirectX and working CD Audio. The game also works perfectly fine with my G920 steering wheel (I am using the Universal Retail 3.0 patch). The only problem I have is that adjusting the music and/or SFX level in options does absolutely nothing. I could set the SFX to 0% and the game will still act as if it is set to 100%

The graphics shouldn't be any different depending on the operating system. You can try installing nGlide and using the 3DFX display adapter in the graphics settings to compensate for the graphical glitches.

Reply 17 of 26, by gytaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"The only problem I have is that adjusting the music and/or SFX level in options does absolutely nothing. I could set the SFX to 0% and the game will still act as if it is set to 100%"

Hi, did you find any solution to this problem? I struggle with the same thing. The ingame graphic (menu, maps, all) are totally perfect, there is sound and sfx, but I can't control the cd and sfx volume. Thanks for your time.

Reply 18 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gytaka wrote on 2022-11-02, 00:54:

"The only problem I have is that adjusting the music and/or SFX level in options does absolutely nothing. I could set the SFX to 0% and the game will still act as if it is set to 100%"

Hi, did you find any solution to this problem? I struggle with the same thing. The ingame graphic (menu, maps, all) are totally perfect, there is sound and sfx, but I can't control the cd and sfx volume. Thanks for your time.

Cd audio, controlled using MCI, is broken since Win Vista. Consider using DxWnd or ogg-winmm or such to fix the cd audio playback.

The SFX level can be connected to MIDI, I have to check the game...

Please consider making new threads for such issues, as it is likely it will get closed for being too old.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 19 of 26, by gytaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-11-02, 07:15:

Cd audio, controlled using MCI, is broken since Win Vista. Consider using DxWnd or ogg-winmm or such to fix the cd audio playback.

The SFX level can be connected to MIDI, I have to check the game...

Please consider making new threads for such issues, as it is likely it will get closed for being too old.

Thank you for your fast reply! I have only started to get to know DxWnd, but have not encountered a solution yet. Nevertheless, the program is excellent. In the "export" folder I did not find the settings for motor.exe (game launching exe), thus I am trying the settings individually.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will open a new thread here or at the discussion of the site https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/.

If you have any other suggestions, I would gladly take it. I have the original CD with music cdfs soundtracks and I am using the motor.exe version a3.1. (it works only with this version, no other)

Have a nice day,
George