VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As is claimed in here:

https://www.facebook.com/ignitiongame/posts/128691297201474

Ignition can be run on Windows 7. There's one problem. That method seems to work fine only for the 32 bit version of Windows, not the 64 bit one. I have the exact same problem as the first commenter on the list; The game starts up, the language selection screen is displayed, then the screen goes blank for a second, and the game crashes.

I'm trying to run the IGN_3DFX.exe. setting compatibility mode to Windows 95 didn't help. I tried the version of dgVoodoo posted by that guy, and the latest version as well. I also tried nGlide. Every time the same result.

Is there any hope of running that game on Windows 7 x64 without emulation?

Last edited by Yasashii on 2014-08-28, 23:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since it should work, I downloaded the 3dfx patch from another source and now the game starts up.

However, there's no CD music. It kinda wants to start at the very beginning, stutters for a second, and then there's nothing. Generally the sound is rather buggy. For example, the sound effects in the main menu often get cut off accompanied by cracking and clicking noises.

On top of that, the game gets really laggy in certain spots of the tracks. I tried using nglide and dgvoodoo, and it remains the same.

Any ideas how to fix that?

btw. the soundtrack plays fine in Windows.

Reply 6 of 11, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember there were 2 different executables for the game. One than ran at 512x384 and other at 640x400 or 480. There was also a voodoo 2 patch for the game, which might fix the issues you're having.

Reply 7 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another vote for "works perfectly here". Win8 x64.

Try changing the sampling rate on your sound card.

Are you sure the CD audio plays at all and it's not some other sound effect that cuts out? This is one of those games that wants the audio CD to be in the first drive letter... Does the CD track layout look ok?

Edit: oh and make sure to disable compatibility mode again. It's not needed and might create problems.

Sound issues make no sense on Win7 though as everything should be software accelerated.

Reply 8 of 11, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

This is one of those games that wants the audio CD to be in the first drive letter.

Yeah, so I changed the drive letter to B: and now music and sounds work correctly. Thanks for that.

After switching the compatibility mode off on the 3DFX executable, the performance issues went away... kind of. The game still drops a few frames in some spots. Both when using dgVoodoo and Nglide. The game's playable so that's not too much of a problem, I guess, but my insurmountable hunger for perfection still makes my eye twitch.

Is there maybe a specific setting I'm supposed to adjust in the wrapper or something?

EDIT: I didn't originally think it would make a difference so I was using the latest dgVoodoo. Turns out, if I use the 1.40 Plus version, there are no performance issues at all. I consider all the problems regarding this game fixed (for now at least.)

Thank you very much for help, everybody 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I remember there were 2 different executables for the game. One than ran at 512x384 and other at 640x400 or 480. There was also a voodoo 2 patch for the game, which might fix the issues you're having.

are you sure about this? i thought it ran alway with 640x400.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 11 of 11, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I consider important to note 3dfx patch v3 (IGN_3DFX.exe) seems to work flawlessly but when finishing the last race of the first championship, when the next difficulty level should be unlocked, the game always crashes. Both in my Windows 11 + DGVoodoo2 install, and on a Windows 98 PCEm/86box VM (there music plays but game closes). I suspect it'd also happen on a real Windows 98 build (I don't have one ATM).

Windows DirectDraw version (Ign_win.exe) has random crashes on my Windows 11 + DGVoodoo2 Install.

DOS version under DosBox has a problem where your car and sometimes all cars randomly explode, and explode again when recovered, indefinitely, so you must exit the race. Also game crashes completely other times.

So the only way I've been able to play this game on Windows 11 + DGVoodoo2 is with the DirectDraw 6.56 patched version (ign_win.zip) mentioned on this thread, but not confirmed then by the OP:
Re: Ignition crashes randomly

With my setup (DGVoodoo2 2.73.1 + AMD Radeon RX 580) sometimes black parts of the screen on transitions are painted pink, and sometimes HUD flickers until the end of the race (Due to DGVoodoo2, they don't happen inside PCEm/86box, YMMV), but I was able to pass the Normal and Amateur championships and to reach the end of the Pro one (I didn't gain enought points to complete the game, sadly). BTW what a frantic game once in advanced levels.

Hope this helps people enjoy this fine game on modern systems.