VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally finished my PIII W98 PC to play 1995-2000 w9x games.

My first trial was TIE Fighter Collectors CD but I have some problems. After some fiddling with tids and bits, I managed to install it and even make it started. The "analyze your PC" applet shows everything as "PASSED". Joystick probably works (MS Sidewinder Precision Pro), music and sound looks ok. But when I tried to setup the game by selecting "SD Hardware", I ended up with a fully white screen and system crashed apparently.

My main display adapter is Nvidia FX5200 (driver version 52.xx installed). I also have Voodoo2 in SLI mod. I chosen "primary display adapter" before starting the game as the 3D hardware.

Anyone can give me some advice about which display cards this game is compatible with? My low end cards are Voodoo3 (AGP), Matrox G200 (AGP), Matrox Millenium I/II (PCI), Nvidia Riva 128 (PCI), and a selection of PCI S3 boards.

Do you think a Geforce 4 or 2 MX would be a better choice (asking, since they are widely and cheaply available)?

I search thru the net, but cannot find much (all the stuff I found is making it work under Windows 7 and XP). And I could not find anything in vogons also.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 1 of 13, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm actually using a Geforce 2 MX on my Windows 98 machine and it works. The thing is, it's not the most comfortable solution as for many games you will need to adjust the acceleration slider in the control panel. But when it works, it works well.

Have you tried swapping that FX5200 for another card that you have available to see if it works? It might be faulty hardware if the system crashes completely.

Reply 2 of 13, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure if this will help you but I've noticed Lucas Arts games and their setups have problems with certain drivers.

I would try dropping back to the newest detonator drivers if you are running anything newer, it doesn't hurt to grab a few versions and swap them out to try them all.

If I'm misunderstanding the problem I'm sorry.

Reply 3 of 13, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try using the Voodoo2 instead? IME 3dfx has good compatibility with D3D 5 games.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 13, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Later nvidia drivers for Win9x simply suck. You'll have to try different sets to find out which one works the best for you. In theory your card should run this game with no problems. You'll just have to find out the right driver.

Reply 5 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Later nvidia drivers for Win9x simply suck. You'll have to try different sets to find out which one works the best for you. In theory your card should run this game with no problems. You'll just have to find out the right driver.

I'll try 4x.xx ones but as far as I know there is no FX5 support anything lower than 4x.xx.

It will not be quick process either. Add/Remove Programs refuses to uninstall Nvidi drivers... 😢

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 6 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So until now, TIE Fighter and X-Wing games behave very similarly. If I choose "primary display" (which happens to be my FX5200) and enable hardware 3D during the game, as soon as I go to flight, displays turns into first complete black, than complete white and after that moment, only a hard reset unlocks the machine.

When I choose 3Dfx, instead of white screen, I get a black rectangle on top of my windows 98 desktop (left top corner, covering 3/4 of the screen) and again, hard reset is required.

Both these games works in software mode though, and plays smoothly. I really wonder will there be any obvious gain in a PIII system with hardare 3D.

I also tried X-Wing Alliance. Although its own "analyze your system" applet (dxdiag?) check the 3D capability (both with software and hardware) and says the system passes (well, I also can see the 3D cube on screen), the game still refuses to start. But a CTRL+ALT+DEL is enough to top the "not responding" XWA executable, not a hard reset is required this time..

So far, the most important games I wanted to play has problems. I will try some other options still, but I already ordered my GeForce 2MX and 4MX cards.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 8 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

8.1 I believe.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 10 of 13, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I must admit, I'm shocked to find out that Tie Fighter supported hardware 3D. I had the original, and collectors CD version, and it was software rendering only for me. Maybe it hated my Riva128 (first 3D card I ever bought)?

Reply 11 of 13, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only the windows version (the one that used XvT engine and no MIDI music) supported hardware 3D. DOS Tie Fighter Collectors CD (the one that added SVGA 640x400 compared to floppy version) only supported software rendering.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 12 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have Win9x Tie Fighter version as the part of X-Wing: Collector's Series. This is the first time I hear about dedicated Tie Fighter '95 release...
Hmm... The launcher wants to install DX 5.2 and not starts the game. Can be fixed with the CorrectFilePaths ACT fix.
The game itself starts in WinXpSp3 if you apply the "MapMemoryB000" ACT fix.
But the game still crashes even in software modes (except 320x200).
P.S. Have found .sdb for this game in the Internet. Now the hardware 3d mode is ok. Unfortunatedly my Radeon HD2600 Pro have critical bug in 16-bit DX modes (part of the screen is filled with black squares). I want to massacre all Catalyst programmers...

Attachments

• Filename
    XWTIE95.7z
    File size
    806 Bytes
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File comment
    SDB for X-Wing Collector's series
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Gamecollector on 2014-08-27, 19:01. Edited 5 times in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 13 of 13, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it's the one part of X-Wing: Collector's Series. BTW, the game works great for me in Win7 x64 3D Accelerated. There's an ACT fix that needs to be installed and I even found a patch that fixes clearing framebuffer. The installed dir I have is probably more than 10 years old, so I haven't tried installing it from scratch...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza