VOGONS

Common searches

Games from 2000 originally made for Windows 95/98 that I really want to play.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello people of planet Earth I was wondering why I am making this post.
If this is a post that seems you can help me on leave a message on this thread, or if it's not your kind of thread that is not related to any very old games and never mentioned on this site before I'll close the thread then because I know this is something that will be not fixable.

I was wanting to play 2 games I have that I got in 2000 and they are both based on LEGO construction toys. The games are "Lego stunt rally" and "Lego Creator : Knights kingdom on Windows 95. I have a Hard disk image of the operating system on DOSbox SVN but I know it may be a little laggy and all but that's okay I have opengl mode activated but it's the best performance I can get.

Filename
bandicam 2014-08-29 17-13-24-788.jpg
File size
147.05 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

At first I tried "Stunt rally" and at first it installed fine but for a second time it gets these illegal operation errors and has to close but sometimes it installs properly and I restart my Windows 95 operating system on DOSbox SVN and I have the right system requirements as well.

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=25652&tab=sysreqs

When I start the game for the first time on there it plays fine like on the real computer,
but when I exit the game or try to change to 800x600 mode on the game and go back into Windows, DOSbox Daum brings up the exit to error message on the status window and it exits.
Here is a picture.

The attachment bandicam 2014-08-23 23-47-25-822.jpg is no longer available

I don't even know why it does that when everytime I leave my game on Windows.
Mean I understand the purpose for this emulator to play DOS games on modern computers or Windows operating systems like 3.1, 95 and 98 made for DOS. But for a game that is that said on the box that is made for Windows 95 and 98 and I have the right system requirements and is there something I did wrong ? Or left out ?

Well my experience with installing "Lego Creator Knights kingdom" on Windows 95 by using DOSbox Daum May 5th 2013 it installed properly unlike "Stuntrally" but as for inside the game it plays fine.

Filename
bandicam 2014-08-29 17-33-04-957.jpg
File size
134.97 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But when I close it DOSbox does the same thing while exiting "Lego Stunt rally."
I don't see why it is doing that all the time. I get all the right system requirements it plays fine inside the game but when I leave DOSbox SVN crashes by itself. What is it making it do that ?
Is it the settings ? Is it Windows 95 or is it the game ? If it's the settings then something needs to be changed on the emulator if you have any way on to fix this please leave a message.

Reply 1 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably has to do with the fact that DOSBox doesn't support Windows 9x and that you are using a version of DOSBox that this forum doesn't support.
You should really be asking for support from the developer of that ver of DOSBox (he does have a forum).

Try your games first on a modern version of WIndows. (XP+)
If they do not work on a modern version of Windows then try them in Virtual PC\Vmware\Virtualbox\Parallels, etc NOT dosbox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 18, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox is for DOS games. Windows 9x is not DOS, even though you can boot to DOS. If you want to play it "the neutral way", use a VM with 9x installed or build an old Win9x box.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 18, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure leileilol already stated it does in fact have Direct3D, and you are not trying to play DOS games here (neither of the games you have mentioned is a DOS game) - you're trying to play Win9x games. There's a difference. I would agree with DosFreak - try them in Windows, try them in Windows with compatability options, and then try appropriate virtualization (e.g. VMWare, VirtualBox, etc). I know that Lego Island (which is the oldest Lego game) installs and runs fine in Windows XP with no intervention, even on fairly new (by its standards) hardware (GeForce FX and Pentium 4). I would assume later Lego games to also work. A quick lookie-loo and Stunt Rally appears to support Windows 98/2000/XP (from its system requirements - http://gamesystemrequirements.com/games.php?id=328), so it should work in XP and there's a chance it will work in 7 too. Can't find Knights Kingdom system requirements as easily (allgames has it, but doesn't mention OS), but for a game released in 2000 I'd be surprised if 2000/XP couldn't run it.

Methinks you're making this much more complicated than it needs to be...

Reply 13 of 18, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You CAN boot win95/98 under DosBox, but good luck doing anything useful with it afterwards, as it's NOT what DosBox is designed for. If you play around with it enough, you can play some old games, but from my experience it just doesn't work that well. Seriously, try VMWare instead, and it will probably work better, as it is actually optimized for running Windows. Virtual PC may work well too, but YMMV.