Common searches

Forsaken

Topic actions

First post, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is weird.
I've just set up a Windows XP machine (actually, it's a dual boot Win7/8 and XP), installed Forsaken and played it just great with no compatibility.
Stopped the game to do something else and now it won't get past the intro. I've tried all the compatibility tricks including No Avi, but it just keeps coming up with the MS error (d3dim.dll seems to be the fault)
Anyone else managed to get Forsaken going on XP?

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 2 of 23, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cheers, playing with it now even though the idea was to stay original.

Reply 4 of 23, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The music is part of the atmosphere, but heck if I can't get it to run on XP.

Reply 8 of 23, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm determined to stay with my original CD of Forsaken if possible, however, one has to wonder if it's abandonware or not.
I know it's a controversial subject, but anyway, I downloaded the game as a test from CGN (Classic Games Network). They've made their own installer or you can get the iso.
With that, it ran once on XP with generic 3D card chosen, smooth as you like, no music though, but won't run a second time.
There must be a clue there as why it will run once, but not on a second reload with no changes.
PS...I've tried ALL the tweaks and patches including compatibility.

Reply 10 of 23, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing changed, which is the weird part.
Going to keep plugging away 😀

Reply 11 of 23, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something did change or the game wouldn't go from working to not working.

Figuring out what did change is what you need to do to get it working again.

First step is uninstalling (making sure to remove all files created by the game and its registry keys) and reinstalling to see if you get the same results (1 successful launch, subsequent launches unsuccessful).

Reply 12 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I take it you got patch 1.01 installed?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 23, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

This isn't the only game where modders claim it to be abandonware, System Shock Portable and the Air Dominance Project are others.
Freefalcon has already taken itself down and is now more or less integrated in BMS for which you require the original Falcon 4 exe.

Reply 14 of 23, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

First step is uninstalling (making sure to remove all files created by the game and its registry keys) and reinstalling to see if you get the same results (1 successful launch, subsequent launches unsuccessful).

Like this:
Play game for 20 mins.
Stop game.
Have a coffee and a smoke.
Start game again...................

Reply 15 of 23, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Splinter wrote:
Like this: Play game for 20 mins. Stop game. Have a coffee and a smoke. Start game again................... […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote:

Like this:
Play game for 20 mins.
Stop game.
Have a coffee and a smoke.
Start game again...................

I didn't ask you if you changed anything or if you knew about any changes. I said something did most definitely change and told you to try to investigate and possibly recreate the problem to make it easier for the people trying to help you. Remember, if you're asking for help and won't follow the advice you're given you won't get anywhere.

Let's try this from scratch, do these steps and ONLY these steps:

1: Uninstall Forsaken
2: Reinstall it from an original game CD (no cracked copies)
3: Install the 1.01 patch
4: Make sure that compatibility modes are OFF for all three executables (FORSAKEN.EXE, ForsakenHW.exe, ForsakenSW.exe) as they are not required and might cause problems
5: Run the game both with hardware acceleration (ForsakenHW.exe ) and software acceleration (ForsakenSW.exe)
6: Tell me what happens

Last edited by ZellSF on 2014-09-14, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 23, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wasn't being clear, obviously.
I've uninstalled/re-installed Forsaken and tried it with and without compatibility and all manner of variations on this theme.
I'm running this as a dual boot on a modern machine, FX8320 and a Radeon 7950 and I've even rolled back the drivers to Catalyst 13.4.
Have you managed to get the game working in XP x86 and if so, what was your experience?

Reply 17 of 23, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forsaken 1.01 works (including music) like a charm on Win XP SP3 and Radeon 5770 (Catalyst 13.1), no compatibility mode needed. Try those older drivers.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 18 of 23, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Splinter wrote:
I wasn't being clear, obviously. I've uninstalled/re-installed Forsaken and tried it with and without compatibility and all mann […]
Show full quote

I've uninstalled/re-installed Forsaken and tried it with and without compatibility and all manner of variations on this theme.
I'm running this as a dual boot on a modern machine, FX8320 and a Radeon 7950 and I've even rolled back the drivers to Catalyst 13.4.
Have you managed to get the game working in XP x86 and if so, what was your experience?

Let me try rephrasing this for the last time.

Follow the 1-6 steps of my last post exactly, inform me that you've done those steps precisely as I outlined and tell me what the results are in detail.

There's no OS compatibility problem. I've tested Forsaken on WinXP, Win7 and Win8 and it runs perfectly under all of them. Before anyone asks: Win8 needs Borderless Gaming and the "NoGDIHWAcceleration" flag set by the Application Compatibility Toolkit. It runs out of the box on XP and 7, though the 1.01 patch is heavily recommended.

The problem is with your configuration, by asking you to follow those 6 steps I'm trying to eliminate the game configuration being the problem, but I can't do that if you're not willing to follow instructions and write feedback saying you have followed the instructions and what happened when you did.

Detailed information is EVERYTHING when trying to fix problems like these.

Reply 19 of 23, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Let me try rephrasing this for the last time. […]
Show full quote
Splinter wrote:
I wasn't being clear, obviously. I've uninstalled/re-installed Forsaken and tried it with and without compatibility and all mann […]
Show full quote

Let me try rephrasing this for the last time.

Follow the 1-6 steps of my last post exactly, inform me that you've done those steps precisely as I outlined and tell me what the results are in detail.

There's no OS compatibility problem. I've tested Forsaken on WinXP, Win7 and Win8 and it runs perfectly under all of them. Before anyone asks: Win8 needs Borderless Gaming and the "NoGDIHWAcceleration" flag set by the Application Compatibility Toolkit. It runs out of the box on XP and 7, though the 1.01 patch is heavily recommended.

The problem is with your configuration, by asking you to follow those 6 steps I'm trying to eliminate the game configuration being the problem, but I can't do that if you're not willing to follow instructions and write feedback saying you have followed the instructions and what happened when you did.

Detailed information is EVERYTHING when trying to fix problems like these.

There really is no need to take such a high handed attitude as it achieves absolutely nothing.
Now, moving on...
The system we're talking about is XP Pro x86 SP3, new install and Catalyst 13.4.
Your steps 1 - 6 produced the same standard Microsoft error as per the example screenshot attached to this post.
Hidden behind that error message was another, from the game itself: begin scene failed in set render state unrecognised error value
You suggest that I have a problem with my configuration, but it would be helpful if you could elaborate on that point.
It's also worth pointing out that I'm trying to get my original game on CD running as other versions such as Project X and CGN have the music stripped out, presumably for licensing reasons and I'd like the music.
Direct X is 9.0c and I've run the Direct X web installer (after the problem arose) to update any missing components, as one would need to do sometimes on an older game, even if your system is Win 7/8 with DX11.
I've tried the game patched and unpatched, with no re-configuring of the system between the time the game ran normally and when it crashed and this is the crux of the issue.
I.E. with no actual system changes from one moment to the next, it fails to start.
I'm going to uninstall Catalyst 13.4 and try 13.1, as Firtasik has said he has the game running just fine on that set of drivers.
Okay, this is not a life changing event, but if you're anything like me, when a problem raises its head, you want to solve it. That's what we do.
If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Attachments

• appcrash.png
    Filename
    appcrash.png
    File size
    65.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Crash Forsaken
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception