VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been having some problems getting Blade Runner to run properly. I've tried two different versions, DVD and 4CD versions on two different systems, but both systems have Matox graphics cards. Anyone know if there are any issues with Matrox and Blade Runner? Cause I'm getting severe graphics glitches.
Both systems are listed in my signature, it's the PIII 1.4GHz and the K6-3 400MHz systems, with Matrox Parhelia and Matrox Millennium G400MAX respectively.
Are there any patches in circulation for this game?

Oh, bah, had to edit this cause I forgot to post my pics of the graphics glitches I'm gettting.

Filename
P1010434.JPG
File size
359.68 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
P1010433.JPG
File size
312.35 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 14, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are separate patches for the CD-ROM and DVD versions. Fortunately, there is still a Westwood mirror, and you can get the patches here:

http://ftp.games.skynet.be/pub/ftp.westwood.c … runner/updates/

I don't remember what the patches do exactly.

Also, I have seen a FAQ where Westwood suggested that folks using a particular graphics adapter (not Matrox) disable D3D hardware acceleration, but leave DirectDraw on in order to address graphics problems, so that might be something to try if the patches don't do the trick:

Why do McCoy and other objects flash on the screen? […]
Show full quote

Why do McCoy and other objects flash on the screen?

We have had reports of problems with the Hercules Stingray video cards, which cause McCoy to flash when moving on the screen. It can also cause flashing in the inventory and KIA screens.

To fix this problem, do the following:

1. Open the DXTOOLS program on your hard drive. The default directory is:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXTOOL.EXE

2. On the tools screen, there are two options near the bottom: "Use Direct3D Hardware Acceleration" and "Use DirectDraw Hardware Acceleration". Normally, both of these are turned on. Disabled the first option (Direct3D), and enabled the second (DirectDra w) if it is not already turned on.

Reply 2 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try my installer. It includes a compatibility patch I made for the graphical issues.

http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3925

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 14, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Try my installer. It includes a compatibility patch I made for the graphical issues.

http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3925

I thought this installer was only intended for running the game on fast systems with modern Windows? To slow down the CPU and stuff.
My system of choice for playing this game would of course be the K6-3, as it runs Win98, and is closest to the correct era for this game.

I've downloaded those two patches from the Westwood mirror, and we shall see how the work out.

Thanks to both of you 😀

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had similar corruption in the game POD with some graphics card (don't remember which one it was though). Using a PCI S3 Trio 64V+ solved the issue 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 14, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If neither of these other solutions work, I'll try digging out my TNT2 and give that a go. But seeing as it's the same era as the G400MAX, I'd kind of expect it to have similar issues.
I also got an old Trident 9440 or something, but that's only got 1MB which isn't enough for Blade Runner. It says 2MB minimum on the box and in the readme.

Reply 6 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I played that game as a kid I must have had a Pentium II with an AGP card I can't remember anymore and a single Voodoo 2. Or it could have been the system before that, a Pentium 133 with S3 Trio 64V+ and Voodoo.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 14, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, thanks so much akula65. I'm just watching a perfect looking intro sequence on my P3 at the moment. Going to try it on my K6-3 later, but I feel confident it'll work there as well, as the problems have been exactly the same on that system.
I'm looking forward to playing this again. Haven't played it since the late 90's I think 😀
Yay!
*jumping up and down*

Reply 8 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, I missed that you were running it on ancient hardware. I just looked at your images and remembered addressing that particular problem with my installer.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 14, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Sorry, I missed that you were running it on ancient hardware. I just looked at your images and remembered addressing that particular problem with my installer.

No worries, I appreciate the suggestions anyway 😀

Thanks to all of you.

Still seems there are some bugs involved, but it's at least running, so hopefully it'll be possible to play it through. If I get any of the speed issues with the shooting range, I can swap my K6-III out for a P166mmx and it should be all fine.

Reply 10 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I've ever seen a graphics problem like this with Blade Runner. Yeah my first idea would be to try a different video card.

I've had this game working perfectly on my Dell Venue 8 tablet. What's most amazing is the interface works perfectly with a touch screen!

Reply 11 of 14, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The graphics are sorted now, but I do have random crashes now and again, but not so bad it's not playable.

Reply 12 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bump

Did the OP ever get this running stable? I've had the same problems on a 500 MHz W98 system with Savage4 card. Applying the patch fixes the graphics problem, but the game still crashes when I click on certain icons. It's not really playable like this.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you aware that the game has since become playable in ScummVM?

Of course, if you are insistent on using "original hardware" then I suppose that might not be an option, but it you just want to play the game and you are struggling to get it to run under "original hardware", then I can't imagine the experience is diminished in the slightest by using ScummVM instead.