VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ETTiNGRiNDER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty much what the topic says. As I understand it, CD audio playback from that era works by having the CD drive act as a CD player that's hooked into the sound card, a system that modern DVD players have presumably lost. So even if the game otherwise runs OK on a newer(-ish) system, there's no music.

Has anyone come up with a workaround for that, that isn't game-specific? (i.e. I know about Quake ports that let you rip the OST to OGG and play it that way, but that doesn't help with obscure titles.)

Reply 2 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CD audio playback is done in a few different ways. Best to say which games you're having problems with. And if you have no specific games in mind, then I think worrying about potential compatibility issues with games you might never play is a bad use of time.

In addition to _inmm.dll there's also ogg-winmm , the wrapper GoG uses. It generally has worse results than _inmm.dll , but it's a bit simpler (can be made portable, doesn't rely on patching game files) and open source (so it might lead to better wrappers or game specific solutions).

Only game I've ever seen that actually has any unsolvable CDDA issues is Heroes of Might and Magic II (there's a patch, but seems to randomly fail at remembering track positions). In my experience, it's not a common problem.

Reply 3 of 8, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slightly OT: I found out recently that Windows NT can't play music from SCSI CD-ROM drives. Apparently this is by design. This is also true of Window 98.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 4 of 8, by ETTiNGRiNDER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Best to say which games you're having problems with. And if you have no specific games in mind, then I think worrying about potential compatibility issues with games you might never play is a bad use of time.

I was going to say Clans, Mageslayer and Heretic II as the top of the list, but re-testing them (and my other stuff) they play music on this system setup. I was probably running off of WINE or something like that last time they gave me trouble.

Reply 6 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

There's been digital pass-through since. and _INMM.DLL which only supports a select list of games.

You can use _INMM.DLL to patch unlisted games. I have had about a 80% to 90% success rate patching them myself. I have used it to add ripped CDA track support for several of the Dynamix titles, such as The Incredible Machine 3, Earthsiege II, StarSiege, and a number of other Metaltech titles. It didn't work with Hunter Hunted.

You just have to manually edit the main _INMM.INI to point to the app path registry entry for the EXE to patch. You can also use it to generate the per game _INMM.INI that lists the ripped tracks to be used. I have been using it for several of my Windows games installers. These installers will do a full install, rip and compress the CDA tracks and write the game specific _INMM.INI and add a patched EXE for CD-less play with full in game CDA tracks.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

You just have to manually edit the main _INMM.INI to point to the app path registry entry for the EXE to patch.

You don't have to (apologies if you're doing that because I told you to in an earlier post), you can just open the _inmm config program and drag and drop exe/dll files over it.

OP: Btw, are you aware that many CDDA games will only play CDDA from the first CD drive on your system? Many people with virtual drives forget that and that might have been your problem when you tried earlier.

Reply 8 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, you did not tell me. I was going by the documentation, which I had to feed through Google Translate.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers