VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I came across SODA Off-Road Racing the other day and realized that maybe there are more amazing Windows 95 games I haven't tried yet. So here I am, asking for recommendations. Anything is fine, even commercial stuff, but I prefer action games, RPGs, and simulations, preferably in full 3D.

Reply 1 of 9, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you liked SODA, there's the Indycar Racing and Nascar Racing series by the same people who made SODA. There is also Grand Prix Legends also by Papyrus.

Reply 2 of 9, by Holering

User metadata

Resident Evil and Final Fantasy VII are great games. They both are unique in that they feature z-buffering, opposed to the terrible console versions. Resident Evil has bigger textures in addition to zbuffering. Final Fantasy VII also adds an exclusive Yamaha XG soundtrack (it comes with a software Yamaha XG 50 if you don't have the hardware) in addition to zbuffering. They're way freakin' better than the console versions (PSX).

Incoming is another great title.

MDK 2.

Reply 3 of 9, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

If you liked SODA, there's the Indycar Racing and Nascar Racing series by the same people who made SODA.

It's funny that you mention that, because I can't seem to get the first game to detect my audio card (plus it's missing some file, IIRC) and the second game gives a Divide By Zero error midway though installation.

Holering wrote:

Incoming is another great title.

MDK 2.

"Incoming"? Also, I've never tried an MDK game, what are they like?

Reply 4 of 9, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maxaxle wrote:

Also, I've never tried an MDK game, what are they like?

Pretty unique games with great humor, personally I prefer MDK 1 over 2 though.
If you like Mech games I certainly recommend the Mechwarrior 2 series which are in my oppinion the best in the franchise and give Heavy Gear a try too which features lighter mechs but with more interesting weapons.
And Battlezone is very good as well, mixing RTS and FPS in the best way imaginable.

Reply 5 of 9, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. Can you think of any places to get MDK, legally or otherwise?
2. I haven't tried MW2 yet (can't get my hands on a working copy), but Interstate '76 (which uses the MW2 engine) is really good.
3. "Heavy Gear"?
4. Battlezone '95, right? If so: It's really good, but nobody plays it online anymore, despite www.battlezone1.com being up and running for years.

Reply 6 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wasnt heavygear dos ?
heavygear 2 was windows

edit: it was windows

ps: windows 95 games
A-10 Cuba
Apache
Hind
Descent 2
Fifa 97
Formula 1 by Psygnosis
Gex
U.S navy fighters 97
Monster truck madness and motorcross madness
Mechwarrior 2
Need for Speed 2 SE
Swiv 3d
Wing Commander IV:
Ubisoft F1 Racing simulation

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 7 of 9, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maxaxle wrote:

more amazing Windows 95 games I haven't tried yet. ... preferably in full 3D.

Crimson Skies.

See if you can find a reputable download site to get the trial version. Crimson Skies was an 'arcadified' version of MS's more serious Combat Flight Simulator, which itself was one of the great games of the era.

Unlike CFS, Crimson Skies does not run under XP, so one really ought to try it while you have a w9x box.

I remember CFS also had very good multiple-monitor support, but I am unsure if that was under 98se or 95osr2.

Re-Volt is another great game of the late w95 period. Try the demo for that, and for Colin McRae Rally 2.

Reply 8 of 9, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maxaxle wrote:

1. Can you think of any places to get MDK, legally or otherwise?

http://www.gog.com/game/mdk

http://store.steampowered.com/app/38450/

Maxaxle wrote:

3. "Heavy Gear"?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/heavy-gear

Reply 9 of 9, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update: NASCAR (the first one, by Sierra) seems to work fine, with the exception of sound. I've got a Yamaha Y724F-V running perfectly as my sound card right now, and it works as a SB Pro, but NASCAR doesn't seem to support the SB Pro. Any suggestions besides "buy a SB 16"? (I bought a SB 16, Version 4.1, and it's far too new. I'd rather not throw any more money at my problems until I figure out what version would be best, and I'd rather sell or trade my current SB 16 before getting a new one).