VOGONS

Common searches

Far Cry

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is supposed to work on a 64-bit version too, and technically it should work on more than just 1.32. However, I don't know how different retail x64 version is different to the one I tested it with: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Far_Cry#Patches

Did a 64-bit version was ever released in retail? Is this possible that you're playing a 32-bit 1.32 version, which was never tested and most likely will not work with SP?

Reply 182 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was referring to the retail dvd version as to make a distinction from the steam version. There is only one x64 bit version and the webpage you mentioned contains both the 1.32 x64 patch and the x64 exclusive content update.

Reply 184 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CookiePLMonster wrote:

In which case, 64-bit version provided by this patch is supported and is supposed to be working as expected.

Maybe the culprit is that you used a repackaged 64 bit patch for Steam.
Can you link it?

Reply 185 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested the 1.4 x32 version too. The landmasses still aren't reflected in the water and v-sync is not available either, just like they weren't on the x64 1.32 version. The WineD3D wrapper displays them just like it did with the x64 version.

Tested maps were fort, pier and training(first one).

The Far Cry version used was the DVD retail version on which the patches that you linked were applied(1.4 for the x32, and 1.32 x64 and Exclusive Content update for the x64 version), settings at very high(using Far Cry Configuration Tool(FarCryConfigurator.exe)).
The system specs are: Nvidia GPU, Windows 7 x64 up to date(including the Directx 11.1 update).

Was the patch tested on the steam version only?

Wheel scroll crashing loading fixed! Only affected 1.4, so 32-bit build.
I also now fixed an exit crash/freeze with a 64-bit build.

Another information that might help is that I didn't encounter the issues you mentioned previously, running the game normally without the wrapper or the silent patch. However, the exact issues do happen in the conditions that you mentioned once the WineD3D wrapper is being used.

Reply 187 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only tested it on a Steam version, yes - but it technically shouldn't make a difference.

For older games the Steam overlay is known to cause issues. I suspected this might be it since another forum user confirmed it working too.

Also, it is to be noted that the 1.4 patch has a really severe bug where the A.I. can see and shoot through objects. There is an unofficial patch here:

https://www.gamewatcher.com/mods/far-cry-mod/ … 1-41-unofficial

I think the silent patch should work on that version since the 1.4 patch is more or less useless in the singleplayer.

Can you post a screenshot of contents your Bin32 directory?

The Bin32 directory contents for the 1.4 x32 version and the Bin64 directory contents for the 1.32 x64 and Exclusive Content update x64 version can be found here(the first 2 pictures are for the x32, the last 2 for the x64):

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1v1vey0t6/

Reply 189 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What official patch this unofficial version is based on? If 1.4 then it should work fine, 1.32 - not sure.

Your directory looks correct so I am not really sure yet what happens... do you know if wininet.dll and SilentPatchFarCry.asi are loaded? You should be able to identify that with Process Explorer.

Reply 190 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 1.41 is based on the 1.4 patch but what you saw in those screenshots were only

The Bin32 directory contents for the 1.4 x32 version and the Bin64 directory contents for the 1.32 x64 and Exclusive Content update x64 version can be found here(the first 2 pictures are for the x32, the last 2 for the x64):

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1v1vey0t6/

like you requested

Unfortunately, I checked before too, none of the SilentPatch files appear as threads in the Process Explorer. It looks like it's completely ignored.

Reply 192 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe the culprit is the DRM of the DVD version?

Not even close, for example the 1.32 x64 version doesn't have any, you can run it without the dvd. The x32 it does, but since none of them are working ...

Reply 193 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AV blocking them maybe? I had never happen this to me, but you never know.

Especially 64-bit version should work flawlessly - as it's definitely the same version I tested with.

Reply 195 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Too bad. V-sync working would have been extremely useful considering some variables and also no fps drop would have been great too, especially since the WineD3D wrapper affects the fps by 6 to 8 times in most cases.

Reply 196 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is, your setup looks totally correct. I don't recall testing if everything works fine on Windows 7, but would have to be very unlucky to have it work only on 8.1 and 10... I will test it later, though.

One possibility is that non-Steam FC doesn't load wininet.dll - but if anything, that would concern only a 32-bit version. 64-bit version is not Steam so that has to be identical.

EDIT:
There is one way to find out if wininet.dll is loaded - move away/rename the one I shipped, and create a new empty file named wininet.dll (can be a text file, with changed extension). If game does not complain about wininet.dll not being a valid DLL, then it means it's not ever loaded in the first place.

Reply 197 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I knew already since yesterday after studying the threads in the process explorer that those 2 files are completely ignored. Move/delete on them is possible while alt-tabbing. So they aren't loaded at all.

No error message on replacing the wininet.dll contents with an empty file as expected from the notes above.

These are the files loaded while running the 1.32 x64 version:

FarCry.exe
CryGame.dll
CryScriptSystem.dll
crysound64.dll
CrySystem.dll
DivxMediaLib.dll
FileParser.dll
XRenderD3D9.dll
Cry3DEngine.dll
CryEntitySystem.dll
CryAISystem.dll

Nvidia driver specific:
nvd3dumx.dll

DirectX specific:
dinput.dll
dsound.dll(DirectSoundCreate8)
DINPUT8.dll

OS specific:
USER32.dll
kernel32.dll
ntdll.dll
MMDevAPI.DLL
GDI32.dll

Note: visual configuration is set at very high, aa 8 + af 16 ingame.

Last edited by VS11 on 2018-04-20, 15:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 198 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another thing to note:

There is also another bug with the 1.32 x64 version(didn't really check as much the 1.4 x32 version, it might happen there too), once the level is loaded and then alt+tabbing and resuming activity in other windows or just waiting for a while, the executable memory usage increases with time. When bringing up the game again, it stops responding and crashes(most of the time, not all the time).

Does this behavior still manifest with SilentPatch too?

Reply 199 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, I recall seeing this behaviour on my very initial playthrough... game would run out of memory after around 90 seconds!

That's very worrying... I need to investigate what exactly loads wininet.dll - I hope it's not some sort of Steam integration/overlay doing it.

That's valuable info though, now at least I know where to look.

EDIT:
Ultimate ASI Loader can load itself as lots of files, basing on filename. You could try renaming my wininet.dll to any of those and see if then it loads:
https://github.com/ThirteenAG/Ultimate-ASI-Loader/releases

EDIT2:
Scary, because...
oe9W9jT.png

It's loaded statically which means it auto-loads when CrySystem.dll gets loaded - and it cannot be skipped, even if it's unused by the game.