Far Cry

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 389, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blank001 wrote:
Now I'm thinking of what crysis was meant to run on. Maybe a good period correct system would be: […]
Show full quote

Now I'm thinking of what crysis was meant to run on. Maybe a good period correct system would be:

Q6600
NFORCE 680
8800GTX x2
Vista 64

For 2007 (Wikipedia says November '07), I'd probably fudge a little and say 9800GX2 (Wikipedia says March '08), or two. Or at least switch out to 8800GTS 512MB. In practice, I'd probably fudge a little further and say GeForce GTX 280 (June 2008) or Radeon HD 4870 (also June 2008) as they tended to offer a nice performance lead over the 8800/2900 era cards. 😊

I'd imagine Q6600 would be appropriate, but there's higher-spec 65nm chips that would've also been available (e.g. QX6850), and according to Intel ARK the 45nm QX9650 was a 2007 release as well. 😲

Reply 61 of 389, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this is an old thread but I have a question

I experimented with Far Cry 1.33 a while back on XP with a GTX 750 and it worked flawlessly. Reflections, textures, everything looked proper. I am thinking that the Nvidia drivers in XP, even the newest ones required for new hardware, are working correctly. They do not have to add support for DirectX 10/11/12 which could break older things since XP only supports up to DirectX 9. Sure, there may have been some bad driver versions but in general I am thinking they are fine. I am really thinking about testing a GTX 950 under XP and then possibly dual boot that with Windows 10 as my main desktop so I can free up some desk space. Since Far Cry is a fairly early title, widely played and tested I thought I would post here and see what you think. I am willing to bet a GTX 950 will work tremendously well for DirectX 7/8/9 under Windows XP with the ability for 10/11/12 under Windows 10.

Thoughts?

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 63 of 389, by Res1s7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I found this thread after going back to FC1 and noticing the missing land mass reflection. Mods that claim to fix shaders don't. So I noticed the tests done here and decided to dive in and install XP (after all, very useful for other old games 😀 ). So, it works. This is XP with an Nvidia GT610, a fairly recent GPU, so it's likely something to do with dx9 in XP. Could be some dx hack the crytek coders have used. Everything else seems to be working. I was playing it using this patch - http://www.farcrypatch16.de/ ... should prob check vanilla FC as well. I did notice a water shader bug around pier posts with water behind them but I think that's always been there. I wonder with all these clues and tests if a fix can be produced ?

Reply 65 of 389, by Res1s7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I know. I was not seeing the test done with a more recent video card.

FarCry0005.jpg
Filename
FarCry0005.jpg
File size
865.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So placing certain dll's in the Far Cry directory where they will be loaded before one's in Windows directory may fix it ? Interesting.

Reply 67 of 389, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the reflections to show up on Windows 7 with Wined3d. I'm also using the community patch 1.6 (don't know if that has an influence).

You have to put these files into the Bin32 folder.

Filename
FarCryWineFix.zip
File size
1.24 MiB
Downloads
1191 downloads
File license

Or if you're using the 64 bit patch put these files into the Bin64 folder.

Filename
FarCryWineFix-64bit.zip
File size
1.32 MiB
Downloads
564 downloads
File license

928A19510A7D46670FC65149027A7CF86FD1F77A

0AE7EEBD05914A501A12E5F0D814DDCDFAF2240C

B9757B7952F59FDC2F3EF4172D07575ABCE90B7A

91525EDC5E56CAE1DBDEE5F73DE944CE64D84922

Last edited by teleguy on 2016-05-22, 13:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 69 of 389, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone figure why the 1.6 patch doesn't work in Windows 10 yet? I guessed it might be copy protection remnants but that'd now effect a fully patched Windows 7 and 8 too..

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 70 of 389, by Res1s7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BuckoA51 wrote:

Anyone figure why the 1.6 patch doesn't work in Windows 10 yet? I guessed it might be copy protection remnants but that'd now effect a fully patched Windows 7 and 8 too..

I'm playing using 1.6 in Windows 10 ... no probs so far apart from the usual lack of landmass reflections.

teleguy wrote:

I got the reflections to show up on Windows 7 with Wined3d. I'm also using the community patch 1.6 (don't know if that has an influence).

FarCryWineFix.zip

Never new about this project ! Just tried it with my FC 1.6 installation and its stuck at a black screen. Could be a reversion to the old well known black screen problem. Investigating. Seems to be a "critical exception" although I can't get to the error message dialogue for some reason.

Last edited by Res1s7 on 2016-05-22, 12:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 72 of 389, by Res1s7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:

I had a black screen too but it went away after waiting a while. The next time I launched Far Cry it worked from the start.

Forget it. I was using the latest WineD3D DLL's when its only the one's in the archive provided above that work.

FarCry1_Landmass_Reflections_Fix.jpg
Filename
FarCry1_Landmass_Reflections_Fix.jpg
File size
458.91 KiB
Views
File license

So, is this it ? WIN ! 😁 So this is the fix. glad I found this forum. Cheers ! 😎

EDIT: There is a performance hit. 41fps *with* WineD3D vs. 72fps *without* WineD3D measured using a saved game in same location. I'm limiting fps @ 72 because I have Freesync from 47 to 75. Could just be my machine or some other issue.

Reply 74 of 389, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm also getting the black screen. I used the files from FarCryWineFix.zip and put them into Bin32. I tried the stock 1.4 version, which ran before copying the FarCryWineFix.zip files.

Also that screenshot doesn't show land masses well 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 76 of 389, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so I let it wait at the black screen, and it must have been several minutes, but then the game continued 😀

The Land masses do indeed reflect.

PZ6rXDmh.png

BUT performance is poor. I mean the game will lag, and FPS drip below 60 when there is water around 😢

System is an i7 3770 with GTX 660. Without the wrapper this game runs at hundreds of FPS 😀

But it's progress, there must be a reason why it's so slow...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 77 of 389, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:

FarCryWineFix.zip

Cool!
Now I'm still wondering what was broken in the first place though.

Oh, and btw those are old as hell dlls. Use this.

BuckoA51 wrote:

You can check if it's SafeDisc by opening device manager, enabling hidden device view and setting "Security Driver" to disabled.

teleguy wrote:

WineD3D is a wrapper so some performance loss is expected.

Wrappers potentially have no overhead.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Ok, so I let it wait at the black screen, and it must have been several minutes, but then the game continued 😀

Is CPU/disk/gpu doing anything?

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 79 of 389, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:
mirh wrote:

Oh, and btw those are old as hell dlls. Use this.

The newest versions I got from there crash the game.

Damn, somebody already told me of a similar problem (can't recall where 😢 )
Anyway, is 1.7.49 the latest working version? 1.9.50 is broken?
And did you try staging versions?

pcgamingwiki.com