Common searches

Far Cry

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

The "pure" D3D8 renderer isn't removed in the 1.4 update?

No clue honestly, I haven't checked any other patches, only own the game on Steam and also grabbed a 64-bit patch so I can support both 32-bit and 64-bit 😀

I studied game's DLL files and I am pretty positive I can come up with a solution without providing a d3d9 hook, but for that it would be good to first confirm the fix works fine!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8a6w75b05x7mw0/d3d9.dll?dl=0

I would appreciate having it tested with AMD and Intel cards - since I know it works fine with nvidia cards. Do not consider it a final release, it's only a test file which is subject to changes.

Reply 141 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember that the game uses PS 1.1 (or 1.4) choosing "low settings" BUT always through D3D9......(like Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory).

Last edited by lowenz on 2018-04-02, 12:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 142 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fix Working (GeForce 1050 Ti here!) 😁
And virtually NO PERFORMANCE HIT! 😀

Fixed.jpg

No_Fix.jpg

2 requests:

1) can you fix the VSync too? (isn't working since.....ever)
2) can you conTact the guy behind the Unofficial Patch and make your (final) fix integrated in it? -> http://www.moddb.com/members/garcy / http://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-addon-mod-fc … rcry-patch-1505

Last edited by lowenz on 2018-04-02, 12:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 144 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CookiePLMonster wrote:

Water reflections rely heavily on user clip planes (so bottom surfaces of water pools don't get reflected), and for reasons unknown behaviour of IDirect3DDevice9::SetClipPlane has changed between XP and Vista/7/8.1/10. Even though D3D9 is supposed to work like a finite state machine, state of clip planes did not persist properly between draw calls (either that or maybe there is some precomputation applied to it) - so my fix is to re-apply clip planes before every draw call.

@Dege

For the future of dgVoodoo2 😁

Reply 145 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

1) can you fix the VSync too? (isn't working since.....ever)
2) can you conTact the guy behind the Unofficial Patch and make your (final) fix integrated in it? -> http://www.moddb.com/members/garcy / http://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-addon-mod-fc … rcry-patch-1505

1) I have that issue myself and I noticed game specifically requests no VSync - after I'm done integrating the fix into ASI (needs changes to Ultimate ASI Loader because Far Cry is weird...) I'll take a look at this too, since it annoys me as well.
2) Doubt it - is he even active?

EDIT:
No performance hit is expected - WineD3D wraps everything to OpenGL, while my fix only modifies a few D3D calls and inserts two extra calls before each affected draw call - so the difference is negligible.

Reply 148 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome! Hold off with that until I release it officially though - this release only exists to confirm this is not a vendor specific fix but rather works on everything - I also got it confirmed on AMD, so that's enough to call it a proper fix!

I'm working on getting Ultimate ASI Loader work properly with FC1 right now so I should be able to get started with a proper ASI-based fix soon (so no more d3d9.dll overrides).

Thanks for testing!

Reply 151 of 389, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CookiePLMonster wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8a6w75b05x7mw0/d3d9.dll?dl=0

I would appreciate having it tested with AMD and Intel cards - since I know it works fine with nvidia cards. Do not consider it a final release, it's only a test file which is subject to changes.

Did you already delete that file? I was gone during the Monday, and was unable to test it yesterday, and now I get 404 on that link 🙁

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 152 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote:

Did you already delete that file? I was gone during the Monday, and was unable to test it yesterday, and now I get 404 on that link 🙁

I did, I only needed to have it confirmed it works on AMD and Intel which I got - and I don't really want this version to spread too much since it'll be rendered useless by an ASI-based fix.

I got the code far enough to be able to open source it - so far GitHub repo does NOT contain mentioned D3D9 fixes (so if you compile it, landmasses are still not going to reflect), but they will appear sometime later today:
https://github.com/CookiePLMonster/SilentPatchFarCry

Ultimate ASI Loader can load those ASIs via wininet.dll (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions), but the version supporting it is only in dev branch so far.

For those who were fast enough to grab it - when the ASI version is out, don't forget to delete this d3d9.dll!

Reply 153 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Shaping very nicely so far! ASI-based fix is now fully working, and 32-bit builds received a new -64bit commandline argument - so now those playing on Steam don't need to rename Bin64 directory to Bin32 to be able to play from Steam.

I'll take a look at V-Sync not working properly next... hopefully I'll find something since this issue is also fairly frustrating.

Reply 154 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would anyone have any info on game's VSync? It doesn't seem to work properly on Win10, Win7 nor a virtual machine with XP... they all request immediate d3d present mode and thus not limiting refresh rate at all...

That's on D3D9 at least, maybe vsync never worked as intended there? I don't have XRenderD3D8 to test.

EDIT:
I see one of the functions called when VSync is enabled... do literally nothing! I can't say for sure if it should be doing something or now, but it definitely is very suspicious...

Reply 156 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

As i said it NEVER worked (patch 1.33/1.4?) and nobody knows why :p

It's very likely the code is broken (it's not Windows fault - it's game requesting no VSync to D3D9), maybe only worked with D3D8 and they never implemented it properly on D3D9... will know more tomorrow.

I also tried OpenGL but did not have much luck getting it to work... it kept crashing, leaving my OS in a wrong resolution - nasty.

Reply 158 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That seems plausible, sadly I have never seen an EXE older than 1.32 (1.4 for 32-bit, 1.32 for 64-bit).

One thing makes me wonder... they are using shader model 3.0 for some shaders, but game requests DirectX 9.0b! Shader model is only available with DirectX 9.0c! I wonder if changing this would make a difference... I'll try.