Topic actions

Reply 125 of 389, by Oubadah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

The *water* transparency.

Time to test with 2.2 staging.

My screenshot shows the same area of water that yours does. If you can't see the whole image, right click and open in new tab/window. This site can't properly reformat big images evidently.

Reply 129 of 389, by Res1s7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Has there been any update to this ? Is it a frame rate killer ? Or maybe I just had it setup badly last time. GOG: Should Far Cry bought from GOG have this problem fixed ? Is it responsibility of GOG ? I know it can't always be done. Original IP owner has to want to fix it. Availability of original source code, etc, etc.

Reply 131 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,

Looks like WineD3D is still the only solution to fix water reflections and I never really was satisfied with this solution, so decided to give it a try and... there it is!

Water reflections rely heavily on user clip planes (so bottom surfaces of water pools don't get reflected), and for reasons unknown behaviour of IDirect3DDevice9::SetClipPlane has changed between XP and Vista/7/8.1/10. Even though D3D9 is supposed to work like a finite state machine, state of clip planes did not persist properly between draw calls (either that or maybe there is some precomputation applied to it) - so my fix is to re-apply clip planes before every draw call.

Works flawlessly, native D3D9, no performance hit!

Q9xVJlGl.jpg

For reference that it's legit (though I admit the timing is sub-par), I'm an author of several unofficlal patches for other games.

Cheers!

Reply 133 of 389, by Johnylyr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CookiePLMonster wrote:
Hey there, […]
Show full quote

Hey there,

Looks like WineD3D is still the only solution to fix water reflections and I never really was satisfied with this solution, so decided to give it a try and... there it is!

Water reflections rely heavily on user clip planes (so bottom surfaces of water pools don't get reflected), and for reasons unknown behaviour of IDirect3DDevice9::SetClipPlane has changed between XP and Vista/7/8.1/10. Even though D3D9 is supposed to work like a finite state machine, state of clip planes did not persist properly between draw calls (either that or maybe there is some precomputation applied to it) - so my fix is to re-apply clip planes before every draw call.

Works flawlessly, native D3D9, no performance hit!

Q9xVJlGl.jpg

For reference that it's legit (though I admit the timing is sub-par), I'm an author of several unofficlal patches for other games.

Cheers!

So where is the patch? And what about d3d10;

Reply 134 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Johnylyr wrote:

So where is the patch? And what about d3d10;

Soon! And not sure what you mean by D3D10, as far as I'm aware FC1 doesn't have a D3D10 renderer.

Actually, is there anyone with AMD (or Intel) GPUs here who could volunteer as a tester for this? So far I could only confirm it working on NVidia GPUs.

Reply 135 of 389, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CookiePLMonster wrote:

Actually, is there anyone with AMD (or Intel) GPUs here who could volunteer as a tester for this?

I have both of them, if you want to test it on Win 10.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 137 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote:
CookiePLMonster wrote:

Actually, is there anyone with AMD (or Intel) GPUs here who could volunteer as a tester for this?

I have both of them, if you want to test it on Win 10.

Cool! I'll post when I have something which can be tested.

lowenz wrote:

The patch will be a modified D3D9.dll? I ask 'cause of reshade......

That's what I was worried about... I did want it to be d3d9.dll (because the game breaks Ultimate ASI Loader badly at the moment), but you have a good point... I'll see if I can make it into an ASI plugin. Will most likely need to ship ASI Loader as gdi32.dll then, as pretty much no other DLL works well (dinput8 loads too late and dsound is unreliable).

However, I may also publish this as d3d9.dll and issue a pull request to ReShade with the same changes.

EDIT:
Interesting - looks like the game supports a D3D8 renderer! Did any version of the game come with XRenderD3D8.dll?

Reply 138 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting - looks like the game supports a D3D8 renderer! Did any version of the game come with XRenderD3D8.dll?

The "pure" D3D8 renderer isn't removed in the 1.4 update?

Last edited by lowenz on 2018-04-02, 09:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 139 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CookiePLMonster wrote:

dsound is unreliable

And taken for Indirect Sound 😁 -> http://www.indirectsound.com/

However, I may also publish this as d3d9.dll and issue a pull request to ReShade with the same changes.

Good idea!