Common searches

Far Cry

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 389, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VS11 wrote:

Apart from a "no dvd-check" on the x32 executable, an editor manual which you can find online anyway, and some "2 HD wallpapers + 3 avatars", nothing new. They usually remove the DRM and sometimes if you're really lucky they receive some bonus content from the developers you couldn't find online.

Thank you for the reply.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 221 of 389, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm, I just sold my original 5 cd copy of Far Cry. Sweet graphics, game otherwise on the generic side. Also I hate fighting monsters in the dark. 😵

I only used it on XP, so I'll just be going now...

Reply 223 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just like I suspected after the VS2017 test, on a Windows 10 system with the dvd retail version of Far Cry 1.32 x64 the landmass reflection works. I forgot checking v-sync but it probably should work too. Theoretically it should work on Windows 8 and 8.1 too. Unfortunately on Windows 7 it doesn't.

Reply 225 of 389, by Burning Fish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't use the command "/fov" ingame to change FOV when using SilentPatch. I'm running FC in devmode and it works without the patch.

[EDIT]
Solved it. I need to put "-devmode" AFTER "-64bit". I had it like this: "-devmode -64bit" and the game would ignore the first argument. Maybe you can emphasise this in the ReadMe?

Reply 226 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VS11 wrote:

Just like I suspected after the VS2017 test, on a Windows 10 system with the dvd retail version of Far Cry 1.32 x64 the landmass reflection works. I forgot checking v-sync but it probably should work too. Theoretically it should work on Windows 8 and 8.1 too. Unfortunately on Windows 7 it doesn't.

Ouch, that sounds really bad... I need to give it a spin on Windows 7 then!

EDIT:
Well damn, I just tried the setup on Windows 7 and you're absolutely right 😒 I would have never expected something like this to happen... time to figure out why it's that.

EDIT2:
Compatibility shims are to blame! On Win7, there is a shim, so game loads apphelp.dll - which in turn ends up loading wininet.dll. This shim was removed on Win8 and all following Windows versions!

EDIT3:
wininet is a known DLL on Windows 7, but it's not on Windows 10... that's why it ends up grabbing a system32 DLL and ignores my DLL. Nasty.

Reply 227 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I haven't had a chance to test this on Windows 7 yet, but it should work on 7, 8.1 and 10 this time!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2iwqi0oyk3wwl3/SPFC-r2.zip?dl=0

wininet.dll can be removed - now version.dll is used to load.

Please let me know if that works, if it does I'll re-release the patch in this state.

Reply 229 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Though I found EVEN MORE issues with version.dll... I need to try dbghelp, overwriting the one shipped with the game since it is already in Windows so they didn't need to include it.

It's a nightmare and it's because the game is split into so many DLLs... Otherwise dinput8 would have worked like in any other game.

Reply 231 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CookiePLMonster wrote:
Hey, I haven't had a chance to test this on Windows 7 yet, but it should work on 7, 8.1 and 10 this time! […]
Show full quote

Hey, I haven't had a chance to test this on Windows 7 yet, but it should work on 7, 8.1 and 10 this time!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2iwqi0oyk3wwl3/SPFC-r2.zip?dl=0

wininet.dll can be removed - now version.dll is used to load.

Please let me know if that works, if it does I'll re-release the patch in this state.

Took me a while to respond because I uninstalled it since it seemed like no more progress could have been made.

1. SilentPatchFarCry.asi + dbghelp.dll

When running the executable an error is encountered:

for x32 version:

"FarCry.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point SymGetModuleBase could not be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll"

"CrySystem.dll Loading Failed:

The specified procedure could not be found."

for x64 version:

"FarCry.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point SymGetLineFromAddr64 could not be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll"

"CrySystem.dll Loading Failed:

The specified procedure could not be found."

2. SilentPatchFarCry.asi + version.dll

The presence of the version.dll prevents the application from loading in the x32 version(it loads and then unloads without any of the intro videos being shown or any errors being displayed) and in the x64 version the landmass reflection is not produced and v-sync doesn't work either.

Reply 232 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I have observed same since then - again, only on 7 and not 10.

dbghelp is not supported by this DLL yet though, I'll try to find some time to do it soon and hopefully it'll work fine then. version.dll seems to break the configurator badly, too...

Reply 234 of 389, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CookiePLMonster wrote:
Ouch, that sounds really bad... I need to give it a spin on Windows 7 then! […]
Show full quote
VS11 wrote:

Ouch, that sounds really bad... I need to give it a spin on Windows 7 then!

EDIT:
Well damn, I just tried the setup on Windows 7 and you're absolutely right 😒 I would have never expected something like this to happen... time to figure out why it's that.

EDIT2:
Compatibility shims are to blame! On Win7, there is a shim, so game loads apphelp.dll - which in turn ends up loading wininet.dll. This shim was removed on Win8 and all following Windows versions!

Are you sure about that? Disabling the shim in the Compatibility Administrator or bypassing it, e.g. by simply renaming the exe doesn't make the fix work.
The shim is only listed in the 32bit compatibility administrator but not the 64bit one so I don't know if it's even applied to the 64bit version of Far Cry.

Reply 235 of 389, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VS11 wrote:

Also, another thing to be considered, dbghelp.dll is only present in the Bin32 directory(the x32 version), not also in the Bin64 one.

That's even better! dbghelp they ship with the game is probably nothing special and Windows already ships it, plus both 32-bit and 64-bit versions use. I can most likely safely overwrite it.

If you want to give it a go, remove dbghelp from the game directory and give it a go - it should work just fine.

teleguy wrote:

Are you sure about that? Disabling the shim in the Compatibility Administrator or bypassing it, e.g. by simply renaming the exe doesn't make the fix work.
The shim is only listed in the 32bit compatibility administrator but not the 64bit one so I don't know if it's even applied to the 64bit version of Far Cry.

That is outdated info, since then I found out wininet is a KnownDLL on Windows 7, but not Windows 10 (RELATED READ).

Reply 237 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want to give it a go, remove dbghelp from the game directory and give it a go - it should work just fine.

I already tested it before, everything seems fine, including going through the ending of a level and then the automatic load of the next one.

Reply 239 of 389, by VS11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CookiePLMonster wrote:

Good! Then that hopefully means dbghelp is a viable candidate for an ASI Loader - then again, I thought the same of version.dll 😒

I'm constantly checking back for hopefully a solution for both 32 & 64 bit versions on Windows 7 and today I decided to check again the Far Cry executable for extra hints.

Unfortunately, it might get really tricky to solve the problem. As you managed to find out, the version.dll approach didn't work.

Today I realised that both version.dll & dbghelp.dll are loaded from \Windows\System32 directory in the case of the x64 version.

For the x32 version, version.dll is loaded from \Windows\System32 directory. dbghelp.dll is loaded from the Bin32 directory. So it is a viable solution.

The only potential file candidates for the x64 version would be:

CompressATI2.dll
Cry3DEngine.dll
CryAISystem.dll
CryAnimation.dll
CryEntitySystem.dll
CryFont.dll
CryGame.dll
CryInput.dll
CryMovie.dll
CryNetwork.dll
CryPhysics.dll
CryScriptSystem.dll
crysound64.dll
CrySoundSystem.dll
CrySystem.dll
DivxDecoder.dll
DivxMediaLib.dll
FarCry.exe
FileParser.dll
XRenderD3D9.dll

which they are all needed ingame

and

msvcr71.dll
msvcp71.dll

These seem to be the only 2 chances left, but will the game even work without the Microsoft C/C++ runtimes being loaded?

I really hope that you can make it work since the Windows 10 platform updates are not really friendly as far as hardware and drivers are concerned along with certain compatibility issues in most cases for older games.