VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So Ive been trying to run Mechwarrior 2 on my Netfinity PC. I have the Matrox version , but from what Ive seen its perfectly possible to convert that into the 3DFX version via the conversion files. For whatever reason , after converting the game it will not start properly. I can get into the main menu , but when I launch a mission (or training) the game doesn't start but instead gives me the "mission failed" screen straight away. The Matrox version itself runs fine unconverted, but the 3DFX will not start.

Im using a Voodoo1 card (Diamond Monster 3D) and the latest standard 3DFX drivers with Windows 98SE (no unofficial packs) , and obviously a Matrox Mystique 220 (not sure exactly what drivers, its the ones on VOGONS). The board is a custom IBM motherboard running a 440BX chipset. DirectX is 6.1.

Here are my settings in the Autoexec

SET SST_RGAMMA=1.7
SET SST_GGAMMA=1.7
SET SST_BGAMMA=1.7
SET SST_SCREENREFRESH=60
SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=0
SET FX_GLIDE_NO_SPLASH=0
SET SST_FASTMEM=1
SET SST_FASTPCIRD=1
SST_SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC=0
SET SST_VIDEO_24BPP=1

Also note that every other game that uses the Voodoo works (ones ive tried are Tomb Raider, Nuclear Strike, GLQuake, Quake2 , Fatal Racing), Mechwarrior is the odd one out.

Anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 3, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...the latest standard 3DFX drivers...

That's the problem. The latest 3Dfx Voodoo1 reference driver does not support Glide 2.1.1 which is used by Mech2. It only works with Glide 2.4.x and onwards. The missing files are glide.dll/sst1init.dll pair. You can extract the files from Diamond Monster 3D drivers instead.

If you have Diamond Monster 3D, I think the vendor's drivers are better than 3Dfx reference drivers.

Reply 2 of 3, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well now I feel stupid 😜

went ahead and uninstalled the 3DFX drivers completely , and instead installed the latest Diamond Monster drivers from falconfly.de . solved the issue and even gave me a bit of a speed boost at least in GLQuake and Quake2 (haven't yet checked anything else)

thanks , youve helped alot and saved me some money in the process (no need to get any other version if this works just fine)

Reply 3 of 3, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't need to install the old driver.
Just copy glide.dll, sst1init.dll and fxmemmap.vxd in the Mechwarriors directory.
Plus there is no need for SST/FX variables (except GAMMA), they are used for Voodoo2.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).