VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT: I fixed the issue through a method that completely alluded me, I forced a single core through a shortcut for the game instead of minimizing it and setting the affinity that way. The game runs perfectly now, still is a bit jerky during cutscenes but the gameplay is just fine.

If you are having this issue, make a shortcut to POP.exe and use this in the target field of the shortcut's properties:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 princeofpersia.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\UBISOFT\Prince of Persia The Sands of Time\POP.EXE"

Replace any of the directory lines in the above target with what is suitable for your system.

System specs this was tried on for the curious:
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Intel Core i7 4770K 3.4 GHz

I posted this on GOG to see if anyone there could help with this issue, but I wanted to post it here since there are plenty of people here who might be able to help with this dilemma as well.

"I wanted to ask a question related to these two games that I have had for quite some time. I have had some really weird lag with the games whenever special effects occur in the game (the explosions in the first level of Sands of Time come to mind, which slows the game down pretty badly). Now, I am running this on a more than capable system and it seems as though the game lags when VSync is enabled, and still does even with triple buffering turned on. Turning it off though stops the lag, but makes my CPU fan go into overdrive and the camera does not want to move properly as a result of that.

I have tried compatibility modes, changing the amount of CPU cores used, etc. but nothing seems to fix the lag and the way to eliminate it makes part of the game broken that is kind of necessary. I pose this question, can this lag be fixed with the game not being broken?"

Last edited by SpooferJahk on 2014-10-10, 01:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 19, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Try vsync off, set all graphical options to low, and set affinity to a single CPU. Verify triple buffering is off in the video card settings. Given this doesn't fix the camera/GPU issue, then try setting the refresh rate >60Hz.

Also, a separate 2nd option is here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/165 … of-time-problem.

Posts suggest that the game has this problem in newer systems (CPUs).

Reply 2 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truth5678 wrote:

Try vsync off, set all graphical options to low, and set affinity to a single CPU. Verify triple buffering is off in the video card settings. Given this doesn't fix the camera/GPU issue, then try setting the refresh rate >60Hz.

Also, a separate 2nd option is here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/165 … of-time-problem.

Posts suggest that the game has this problem in newer systems (CPUs).

I tried both methods and they do not work for me unfortunately.

The core affinity trick just made the game's sound stutter, and the 3D-Analyze trick doesn't let me run the game at all.

Reply 3 of 19, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Starting here: http://forums.ubi.com/archive/index.php/f-95-p-8.html and working through the many threads corresponding to these two games, it shows the problems you indicated. I believe you tried the obvious workarounds, although another option is a different video driver, although that likely won't apply to this case.

It may be helpful to others if you posted the details on your computer system.

Have you also checked the gog.com support documents for this game? There are additional workarounds:
http://www.gog.com/support/prince_of_persia_warrior_within
http://www.gog.com/support/prince_of_persia_t … e_sands_of_time
Such as for Vista audio:
http://www.gog.com/forum/prince_of_persia_series/vista_audio

Reply 4 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I managed to fix the problem, and the problem completely eluded me when I tried to fix it. I didn't realize that I could force a single core through a shortcut of the game and doing that eliminated the lag during the gameplay. Still kind of jerks in the cutscenes, but I can live with that.

Reply 6 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truth5678 wrote:
Starting here: http://forums.ubi.com/archive/index.php/f-95-p-8.html and working through the many threads corresponding to these […]
Show full quote

Starting here: http://forums.ubi.com/archive/index.php/f-95-p-8.html and working through the many threads corresponding to these two games, it shows the problems you indicated. I believe you tried the obvious workarounds, although another option is a different video driver, although that likely won't apply to this case.

It may be helpful to others if you posted the details on your computer system.

Have you also checked the gog.com support documents for this game? There are additional workarounds:
http://www.gog.com/support/prince_of_persia_warrior_within
http://www.gog.com/support/prince_of_persia_t … e_sands_of_time
Such as for Vista audio:
http://www.gog.com/forum/prince_of_persia_series/vista_audio

Thanks for the links, the audio thing I will have to wait until I get my hands on a Sound Blaster Z so I can get EAX enabled without any issues. Tried doing solutions with my integrated Realtek chip but they didn't quite work well.

I did fix the issue through forcing the one core trick, but did it through making a shortcut of the game instead of minimizing and doing it that way.

Reply 8 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will need Creative ALchemy to restore EAX in Windows Vista and later:

Creative ALchemy Guide

I tried rince of Persia: The Sands of Time the other day and the game seemed to run fine but this is me never having it played before. ALchemy did restore surround sound. I test this with a Recon 3D and a Logitech Z906 system.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truth5678 wrote:

That's unfortunate that the one method of CPU affinity doesn't work while the other does! I also posted a link to a workaround for cutscene problems in an above post.

I did get it to work through CPU affinity but only through creating a shortcut instead of minimizing the game. Somehow doing it through minimizing the game made it act up even more, odd, but that's okay because I want to load it with only one core used anyways. The in game cutscenes are a wee bit jerky still I'm afraid but the main gameplay runs just fine, no lag in the first level with the explosions!

Reply 10 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

You will need Creative ALchemy to restore EAX in Windows Vista and later:

Creative ALchemy Guide

I tried rince of Persia: The Sands of Time the other day and the game seemed to run fine but this is me never having it played before. ALchemy did restore surround sound. I test this with a Recon 3D and a Logitech Z906 system.

Hey there again Phil, enjoying more EAX goodness I see. 😜

Will definitely take advantage of that once I get my hands on a Sound Blaster Z, tried a few different methods with my Realtek chip on my MSI board and sadly it didn't quite work the way it should. I can thank you for uploading those EAX videos to show me what games like F.E.A.R. should sound like while I was trying those methods. Nice to have a reference of what to shoot for when trying to restore features of older games.

Reply 11 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Downloading Warrior from GOG.com within and will check it out.

The machine I test ALchemy with is my media center PC. Core i5, 8 GB, Radeon HD6770, Recon 3D and Windows 8.1 64 bit. I'll let you know what I find.

EDIT: Ok the game seems to be running fine. Lots of videos in the beginning 😵

The videos play Stereo only. There is some surround sound like fire crackling or birds sounds in the game but nothing that is amazing or truly exciting. Not nearly as good as some other EAX games. But then I haven't tried any of these games in XP and on period correct hardware.

Reply 12 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
Downloading Warrior from GOG.com within and will check it out. […]
Show full quote

Downloading Warrior from GOG.com within and will check it out.

The machine I test ALchemy with is my media center PC. Core i5, 8 GB, Radeon HD6770, Recon 3D and Windows 8.1 64 bit. I'll let you know what I find.

EDIT: Ok the game seems to be running fine. Lots of videos in the beginning 😵

The videos play Stereo only. There is some surround sound like fire crackling or birds sounds in the game but nothing that is amazing or truly exciting. Not nearly as good as some other EAX games. But then I haven't tried any of these games in XP and on period correct hardware.

Managed to snag a version of ALchemy that works with all sound cards and with Sands of Time at least, I noticed a massive difference between having EAX enabled and disabled. I noticed sound effects and environmental effects that I never noticed before when I played it a couple of years ago on my laptop.

Reply 14 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Is there a way for you to capture it? Fraps or Bandicam come to mind.

I can sometime on Sunday or Monday, about to head to bed right now (late in my region) but I will show it at least. I know for sure that the universal version of ALchemy is not perfect since some EAX games don't use all their intended effects. F.E.A.R. comes to mind where any echoes aren't used but the shift in direction of the sounds works fine. Halo has the environmental effects play for everything except for the gun shots.

Reply 15 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this the version you're using?

http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/ … hemy-universal/

They must have hacked the Creative version 😀

Is there a way to skip the introduction, it takes forever! Or load a game?

I think the effects are working but there isn't much of surround sound happening. Do you play in Stereo or do you have a surround speaker setup?

Reply 16 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
Is this the version you're using? […]
Show full quote

Is this the version you're using?

http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/ … hemy-universal/

They must have hacked the Creative version 😀

Is there a way to skip the introduction, it takes forever! Or load a game?

I think the effects are working but there isn't much of surround sound happening. Do you play in Stereo or do you have a surround speaker setup?

That's what I am using which doesn't quite restore everything on my Realtek chip. I exaggerated on the Prince of Persia stuff to be honest, I did a comparison and it sounds about the same on Sands of Time with and without EAX, but EAX adds some environmental effects that I didn't notice before and do remember hearing from the PS2 version of the game (Though to be fair, the sound quality on that version was rather poor so the echo kind of blended in with the low quality sounds). Namely echo in rooms and some of the sounds playing in surround, I am guessing the environmental effects probably brought out more of the background sounds I didn't notice before. Either way, I can say it didn't do too much for the game without doing a complete video on it. I tried it with Warrior Within and it was a similar situation, just added some more echo and surround effects to the mix that is not available in none accelerated mode.

Sadly you can't skip cutscenes on Warrior Within, and for Sands of Time, only the FMVs can be skipped and the in game cutscenes can be skipped after viewing them once during your session.

I use a stereo setup currently, so I am not the perfect authority on surround sound but the speakers I use are fairly good and even with surround enabled I can still kind of tell the effect is happening to an extent.

Sorry for the late response, was away from my main machine for the weekend visiting a friend.

Reply 17 of 19, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe that method works with other games as well. Mostly EA titles are affected by this lag caused by single thread affinity.

Reply 18 of 19, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Maybe that method works with other games as well. Mostly EA titles are affected by this lag caused by single thread affinity.

Which EA titles specifically have this kind of problem?

Reply 19 of 19, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NFS SE, NFS II SE 3dfx version, ATF Gold and Fighters Anthology all have this with single thread affinity (these last two can be solved by using the "Shrinker" flag in ACT 5.x/6.0). It's more like a stutter than a lag on the last 3 titles, however. International Rally Championship has a noticeable lag on Windows XP when using single thread affinity.