VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there.

After watching the original Italian Job (love that film) on the telly I decided I wanted to play the game.

I cannot get it to run on my 3dfx gaming machine though.

Duron 1.3ghz
768mb RAM
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
Win98SE

A specific error comes up.

An Invalid Page Fault with Binkw32.dll. Specifically at 0247:30024fdd

I have tried using an up to date version, but exactly the same error is apparent.

From memory, this game has always been rather flakey and I gather that this is why I haven't played it in a long time. I happen to have two copies of the game, and both give the same error. I also have two CD drives that i've tried the installlation from just to rule out whether data was or was not copied properly, and whether this file had dependancies that were improper.

Regardless. Anyone had such issues before? Any ideas?

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 2 of 18, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

what happens if you delete the bink movies (make a backup)

Good question. I will try that when I get in. 😊

One thing to note, the error appears after 1 second into the introductory video. You cannot see the video however, it is blank/black, but there is 1 second of music/sound just before the crash.

Reply 3 of 18, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right.

I renamed the introductionary logo. The game refuses to start. I did however try substituting the logo intro for a different ingame movie. The movie played fine, but at the end (or if you cancel it), the game crashes. specifically:

TIJ caused an invalid page fault in
module BINKW32.DLL at 0247:30024fdd.
Registers:
EAX=028f1120 CS=0247 EIP=30024fdd EFLGS=00210202
EBX=013a92fa SS=024f ESP=008afc1c EBP=013b92fa
ECX=00000000 DS=024f ESI=00000080 FS=1bc7
EDX=01381bb4 ES=024f EDI=028f1008 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
0f 7f 4f f8 3b f8 0f 82 27 ff ff ff 89 2d c0 4f
Stack dump:
00000080 00000080 00000000 00000000 3000df06 00000080 00adc040 028d0320 00000200 8000000a 00000000 30024d68 fffffe00 00000000 0000007e 00000200

I tried also substituting the 2nd logo that is played, but the same thing happens though. Quite annoying this! For some reason the no cd cracks don't load up the game at all either. 🤣

Reply 5 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Blurredman wrote:

I have tried using an up to date version, but exactly the same error is apparent.

Where did you get that version from, and how did you use it? Did you download the RAD Game Tools, specifically?

Also, running Windows 98SE with more than 512 MB of RAM may cause problems. Try using HIMEMX in your config.sys to limit the RAM.

Reply 6 of 18, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An emty logosci.bik does nothing but crash the game to desktop without any error message at all.

As far as Windows 98 + > 512mb ram is concerned, I've never had an issue with my system and the current installation without any hardware changes has been the exact same since September 2009.

The extra few MB is mainly because the need for kernelEx with use with Firefox 3.6, so that I can still browse the internet without any real issues. It takes a fair bit of RAM, I'm using 455mb right now just with 1 single tab open (this window, and an instance of Powerdesk 4). And old versions of Zonealarm and AVG. (and Iconoid too ofc).

I degress though,. If there is such an issue with the RAM, what do I need and how to I implement the himemx command into the config.sys?

EDIT:

Just found out something pretty funny really. The game is completely unprotected regarding the ability to access the content. Wav files, bitmaps, etc.

Just having a look through the file structure and came accross the individual mission scripts. They are however standalone .exe's that the main menu simply executes. I double clicked on one expecting an error but it loaded one of the game's missions. Indeed, I can access all the missions through the .exe files. Although it doesn't solve my problem, and takes some charm out of it. It is rather amusing. I now realise that the game runs pretty poorly on my system too for some reason. 😲

Reply 7 of 18, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried the demo on win 7 x64 and it runs fine
it uses bink32.dll v1.2.8.0

ill attach it if it helps
ps: does vogons drivers have this version ?

Attachments

• Filename
    bink.zip
    File size
    131.02 KiB
    Downloads
    117 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 18, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well. The main game uses that version, even though it seems that one is compiled an hour earlier (?), but otherwise same result.

It seems I might have to cut my losses, a few other games don't work, most notibly Monster Jam. I guess i'll have to suck it up.

Reply 9 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Blurredman wrote:

I've never had an issue with my system

Except it seems that you are, with this and a "few other games". 😉

I degress though,. If there is such an issue with the RAM, what do I need and how to I implement the himemx command into the config.sys?

Download it from http://www.japheth.de/Jemm.html and look at the readme. Just put himemx.exe someplace convenient, and put DEVICE=C:\whatever\HIMEMX.EXE /MAX=400000 in your config.sys, preferably in place of whatever HIMEM line might be there already. If you have no config.sys, then you can create one.

P.S. Himemx works fine with Windows, but Jemm is incompatible with Win9x. If you want to use Jemm, don't use it unless you're booting into DOS.

P.P.S. digress.

Reply 14 of 18, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My main machine is an XP one, and it works fine on there. I'm playing through it with that instead. Quite annoyed that it didn't work on the 'dedicated to old games' machine. Possibly some conflict between the video codec and the voodoo 3 ???

I'm damned if I will uninstall KernelEx for TIJ, now that it's working on my main PC. The ability to use a modern web browser (well FF 3.6- runs good). On such a bloated, complicated and pointless annoying currently phased design of the world wide web, I need a browser that won't crash or bug out just viewing a "simple" web page. 🤣 🤣 😊 /rant over. 🤣.

No biggy, i'll use main PC 😎

Reply 15 of 18, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just been running this game on my Win8.1 PC and have come across a unique problem (of all the 150+ games I've installed so far!): when the game runs (the video works by the way) it runs as a little window in the middle of a black area! i.e. at the resolution of the desktop. So if you use 640x480 it's a tiny window in a sea of black. 1024x768 (the highest resolution the game supports) is a little better, but still small on screen.

I fiddled with compatibility settings to no avail. Haven't gone to Application Compatibility Toolkit yet.

Even if I set my Desktop resolution to 1024x768 before playing, the game whacks it back to the maximum (2560x1440) so a sea of black surrounds the small game window area!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 16 of 18, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might be a good time to put DosFreak's Bink/Miles/Smacker collection to use:

RAD Game Tools: Bink/Miles/Smacker Windows .dll's.

Substitute .DLLs and see if you can find one that works. Note the additional downloads on the second page of the thread.

Reply 17 of 18, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I've just been running this game on my Win8.1 PC and have come across a unique problem (of all the 150+ games I've installed so far!): when the game runs (the video works by the way) it runs as a little window in the middle of a black area! i.e. at the resolution of the desktop. So if you use 640x480 it's a tiny window in a sea of black. 1024x768 (the highest resolution the game supports) is a little better, but still small on screen.

I fiddled with compatibility settings to no avail. Haven't gone to Application Compatibility Toolkit yet.

Even if I set my Desktop resolution to 1024x768 before playing, the game whacks it back to the maximum (2560x1440) so a sea of black surrounds the small game window area!

There's a setting in the nvidia control panel that is worth to try. Under scaling options, tick on Overrride Scaling set by... or whatever is similar to this.
As for the topic author, I would recommend trying every single binkw32.dll possible. If the problem is RAM, decrease the paging file size.

Reply 18 of 18, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

There's a setting in the nvidia control panel that is worth to try. Under scaling options, tick on Overrride Scaling set by... or whatever is similar to this.
As for the topic author, I would recommend trying every single binkw32.dll possible. If the problem is RAM, decrease the paging file size.

We have a winner! Yes, under "Adjust desktop size and postition" in the Nvidia Control Panel, the tick box for "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" fixes this issue, the game now fills the screen!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor