Bad Mojo and The Neverhood

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 42, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectricMonk wrote:

Will the DirectDraw Compat tool help with Bad Mojo Redux? Because so far, the install bombs, and demands I remove QT7 and install QT6.

Is that exactly what it says?

If you have QT7 installed, is there some reason you can't uninstall it?

Reply 21 of 42, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectricMonk wrote:

I tried using Regedit (I even searched all hives)m and the only two entries were for Dreamworks\Neverhood.link, which only gave me a prompt to alter the binary values. Am I doing it wrong?

yes use notepad paste the text :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DreamWorks Interactive]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DreamWorks Interactive\Neverhood]
"Data Drive"="<path to game folder>\\"
"PID"="54767-442-8148572-87248"
"Installed Directory"="<path to game folder>"
"Run File"="<path to game folder>\\NHC"
"KBPS_OTHER"=dword:ffffffff
"KBPS"=dword:ffffffff
"Installed"=dword:00000001
"KBPS_CD"=dword:00002800

(edit the bits you need to where it says "<path to game folder>\\" for example "Data Drive"="c:games\never" into it) save it as never.reg (not never.reg.txt)
then double click on the file

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 22 of 42, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectricMonk wrote:
I used the DD Compat tool, too. It didn;t help. ScummVM was the only thing that allowed Neverhood to work properly […]
Show full quote
filipetolhuizen wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:

Also tried kill explorer, but the color schemes were still fubar. Could you help me point out how I'm goofing it up, please?

Why doesn't anybody see my post above? I'll ease it up and attach the file right here...

I used the DD Compat tool, too. It didn;t help. ScummVM was the only thing that allowed Neverhood to work properly

Will the DirectDraw Compat tool help with Bad Mojo Redux? Because so far, the install bombs, and demands I remove QT7 and install QT6.

And don't worry, I read and followed every instruction you posted further up in the thread. They just didn;t work for me in Win7 64bit, for some reason.

Sorry, I got the impression that everyone here overlooked it. DirectDraw Compat Tool is only for games that run in 8 bit colour mode with them garbled. Do you have Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit installed? It helped me a ton with several kinds of issues. You can create custom compatibility fixes for any application you wish.

Reply 23 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:

Is that exactly what it says?

If you have QT7 installed, is there some reason you can't uninstall it?

Yes, that's EXACTLY what it says. It won't even complete the install. It says that I'm using QT7 and I *must* uninstall it, and install QT6.

I followed all the directions up thread, and the ONLY one that worked was running Neverhood in ScummVM.

EDIT, the reason I still use QT7 is because I have a boatload of CBT Nuggets/Infinite Skills courses for CCNP, CCIE, VMWare, and CISSP cert classes, and VLC needs QT7 to play the videos.

Last edited by ElectricMonk on 2014-10-18, 17:08. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 24 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Sorry, I got the impression that everyone here overlooked it. DirectDraw Compat Tool is only for games that run in 8 bit colour mode with them garbled. Do you have Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit installed? It helped me a ton with several kinds of issues. You can create custom compatibility fixes for any application you wish.

No, I don't have MS App Compatibility Toolkit. Can I get that via WinUpdate, or is it a separate download on a different part of the site?

*EDIT*

I found the 5.6 MS App Compat Toolkit. Are there any instructions I need to follow, to get it setup correctly? I've never used it before, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! 😁

Reply 25 of 42, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectricMonk wrote:

Yes, that's EXACTLY what it says. It won't even complete the install. It says that I'm using QT7 and I *must* uninstall it, and install QT6.

Have tested again. WinXpSp3 and VistaSp2 64-bit. The installer starts the QT6 installation, finds QT7 then continues. The game works ok with QT7 (I hope low FPS in Vista are Windows related, not QT related).
Are you sure you not use "abandonware"?
P.S. By the way, just install Windows Xp mode in Win7 and play.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 26 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:
Have tested again. WinXpSp3 and VistaSp2 64-bit. The installer starts the QT6 installation, finds QT7 then continues. The game w […]
Show full quote
ElectricMonk wrote:

Have tested again. WinXpSp3 and VistaSp2 64-bit. The installer starts the QT6 installation, finds QT7 then continues. The game works ok with QT7 (I hope low FPS in Vista are Windows related, not QT related).
Are you sure you not use "abandonware"?
P.S. By the way, just install Windows Xp mode in Win7 and play.

I'm using the original discs that I purchased. I even tried setting compatibility to Win95/Win98SE (and I've tried various combinations of 256 colors (or not), 640x480 mode, Run as Admin, and the other two settings. The problem I'm having is that once it tells me I'm using QT7 instead of QT6, it demands that I uninstall 7 and reinstall 6, and then the install just shuts off. I'm hoping that MS App Compat tool works. I haven;t installed it yet.

*EDIT* I haven't tried XP mode yet. Did you use XP SP3, or one of the older SP revs?

Reply 27 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven;t tried the MS App Compatibility yet, but I tinkered with the compatibility settings for the BADMOJO.EXE, and here's what the error says:

BadMojo.EXE hs stopped working

Check online for a solution and close program

Close Program

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: BADMOJO.EXE
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 41aced0b
Fault Module Name: ole32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b96f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0004ea5c
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4c0d
Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
Additional Information 3: 4c0d
Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005) Click OK to close the Application

Reply 28 of 42, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's some flags that solves most older games issues:
EmulateHeap
GlobalStatusMemoryLie
IgnoreException
MapMemoryB0000
SingleProcAffinity

Just click on the button "Fix" and follow the guide. You may try each one individually first to see if any makes a difference.

Reply 29 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, will do. I've got a bunch of errands to run, plus work on repairing a major network, so it;ll be later this evening before I can attempt it. I'll post later tonight or in the morning to let you know how it goes, and if I can get it to work, k?

Thank you for the assistance, btw! It's been invaluable! 😁

Reply 30 of 42, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only had these games' demos back at their time. If I had them full, I'd be able to help you a lot better. You can try "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" flag for The Neverhood as a last resource to see if it corrects the garbled colours. In the meantime I'd suggest you to play it using SCUMMVM, since you can customize it the way you want and still make it look like the same original. Bad Mojo seems to use a similar engine as MIB (the gameplay at least has a close feel). Try searching for MIB compatibility with modern OS, if my theory is right, the fix might work in Bad Mojo as well.

Reply 31 of 42, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't forget that the Registry has a 32-bit redirect, too. From the runbox, just type regedit. Look in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DreamWorks Interactive\Neverhood

Or just try my Neverhood installer: http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3925

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 33 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been able to get Neverhood working great in ScummVM, but I'm having zero luck getting Bad Mojo Redux working. I installed it, edited the BadMojo.ini to point the correct CD Drive, and it still gives me the error:

BADMOJO.EXE has stopped working.
Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.
Check online for solution
Close the Program.

Any Idea what I'm doing wrong? I tried installing it in Win98SE in Oracle Virtualbox, but the exact same error occurs. I'm at my wits end.

Reply 34 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:
Here's some flags that solves most older games issues: EmulateHeap GlobalStatusMemoryLie IgnoreException MapMemoryB0000 SinglePr […]
Show full quote

Here's some flags that solves most older games issues:
EmulateHeap
GlobalStatusMemoryLie
IgnoreException
MapMemoryB0000
SingleProcAffinity

Just click on the button "Fix" and follow the guide. You may try each one individually first to see if any makes a difference.

How do I find this options?

Reply 36 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

ACT

Got a link to it? Google just turns up ACT for test takers, and how to make your older brain act younger...

NEvermind, you're talking about MS App , aren't you?

Reply 37 of 42, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do I have to install SQL Server for this to work? It keeps asking for my SQL Database, which I don't have. I learned early on that I *despise* MS-SQL and EXchange server.

OK, I tried every option in ACT, and nothing worked. All the options like FIX and such were all greyed out. I must be doing something wrong.

Reply 38 of 42, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll have to run Compatibilty Administrator instead of Application Compatibility Manager. Just click on New Database(1) [Untitled_1] and the Fix button will be coloured again.