VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So this problem has been annoying me for a bit and I can't seem to find the cause of this.

Ive been running Metal Gear Solid on my 1Ghz machine which a dual boot of Win98SE/Win2k (latest service pack) and while in Win98SE the game runs and looks fine, Windows 2000 is entirely different.

on Windows 2000 the game is nearly unplayable due to horrendous graphical glitches (usually the 2D icons and text for instance). I know the game runs fine on Win2k because Ive ran it before with a Geforce2 and it was fine.
The reason why I want to run it on 2000 is primarly because on this machine, I would prefer to run as many games as possible on that one OS for the obvious benefits it has.

running the game in software mode does solve the issue, but obviously it looks terrible at that point

the computer in question has these specs

Tyan Trinity 400 motherboard (with a VIA chipset)
1GHz Pentium III 133Mhz
512Mb of SDRAM
Voodoo 5500 AGP
SB Live 5.1

the 3DFX drivers are the latest official drivers for both operating systems. Ive tried setting the card to single chip mode , and it made no difference. Im also using DX8.1

some pics of the glitches

MGSI2014-10-1817-59-24-02_zpsc3880ff1.png

MGSI2014-10-1817-59-43-03_zps467f2834.png

MGSI2014-10-1817-59-42-15_zps71e784ce.png

Anyone got any ideas? thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 3, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thats weird but I think that its probably due to the graphics card ! I can run MGS even on Windows 7 64 Bit with no problems aside from 2 videos not playing but for those you need Win98 (its the one video that plays before the Darpa chief dies and the last video with the sled dogs). If you have trouble with this game you should try running MGS2 xD that one requires WinXP SP1 only !

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 3 of 3, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes I have the VIA drivers installed (can't quite remember which ones, I think it was the 4.56 drivers if I remember correctly)

I have a feeling that it may well be the VIA chipset actually since this was also happening on a VIA based Athlon board, but didn't happen on a 440BX board

also from what Ive seen , using certain custom drivers seems to solve this issue, but obviously then Im dealing with custom drivers which is a hit or miss situation.

I actually have MGS2 running on my WinXP machine , and yes its a mess, it had its issues on a GF5900, as well as a newer X1950 Pro , various graphical glitches . Certainly one of the worse console ports of the era