VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wazzles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm thinking about setting up a Linux computer for my brother-in-law who is not very tech savvy (he's essentially about 8 years old mentally), and I want to try to make his games work for him. I've already figured out how to make DOSBox work for shortcuts for Windows 3.x games, and obviously DOS games, but I'm not sure where to even begin here.

So this is what I'm looking for: A clickable shortcut that opens Windows 95, goes directly to the game, and then exits Windows 95 when the game is exited.

So is this even possible?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 4, by Wazzles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the issue with that is the games I'm thinking of (Arthur's Thinking Games) barely even works in Windows XP, so I'm not sure it will work with WINE. I'm just trying to get as much information as I can before I try anything.

Reply 3 of 4, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would install wine and playonlinux and install it through playonlinux as playonlinux automatically produces a shortcut without the headaches.
Never heard of the game so I couldnt tell you if it works out of the box.
If you really have to use virtualbox to install windows 95 then you can easily set a shortcut to the VM in virtualbox itself which in turn loads up windows 95 then using a batch file in the windows 95 VM in the startup to automatically start the game then issue a shutdown command on exit.

To be honest just try it with WINE it's much easier to do what you require

Reply 4 of 4, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Arthur series games are supported in SCUMMVM if you don't mind trying on it. You can make scummvm shortcuts for them as well.