VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I installed Battlezone from an extracted ISO files over the LAN. Battlezone requires a CD to start. I coppied the iso image to a physical CD and put the CD in the drive when asked. I click OK, but the program keeps asking me for the CD and will not start Single Player mode.

Is this problem occuring because I installed Battlezone from the LAN and not the CD drive? Or could it because I installed Battlezone to C:\Program Files\Battlezone instead of the default directory of C:\Program Files\Activision\Battlezone ?

I tried 3 different Battlezone nocd patches. loader.exe, bz_loader.exe, and runme.exe. Neither of them worked. The game continues to ask me for the CD. Does anyone have any idea as to what I could be doing wrong?

Last edited by feipoa on 2014-10-30, 20:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I take it that the game is freeware and such ? Or are you thinking that you are on the wrong forum ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought they opened the source code for the game; I may be mistaken. I could post to http://www.battlezone1.com

Reply 3 of 10, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the devs is maintaining an unofficial patch (see here), but a third-party site has put together a custom installer based on that patch is not the same as the game being open-sourced.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 5 of 10, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, my first instinct was that the install has a registry entry pointing to the LAN address as the source drive, but I can't find a relevant registry entry in the first place (I have the game and CD). There also doesn't appear to be an entry pointing to the source drive in the game's config files. You might try reinstalling using the CD you burnt. I bet it'll fix it.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 6 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Targaff wrote:

One of the devs is maintaining an unofficial patch (see here), but a third-party site has put together a custom installer based on that patch is not the same as the game being open-sourced.

If installing the game using the installer provided by this third-party site, does that imply the game is now classified as "freeware"? Version 1.4 of the installer will work with Win9x.

Reply 7 of 10, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it means that someone feels convenience is more important than copyright. It's no more "freeware" than versions available from abandonware sites are "legal".

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 8 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sadly. They're just as bad as the Soldier of Fortune community in that aspect. and the Quakeworld community. and the Quake2 community. and the UT community, all having to resort to piracy to rebuild their 'dedicated communities'

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had no idea. I thought sometimes private developers get permission to continue development or improvements on some old abandon games. Or is this never the case?

Reply 10 of 10, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Occasionally, sure, but usually the companies aren't interested.

The Battlezone series in particular has had so much love from its community over such a long time that it really should get a release on GOG or similar - it doesn't even really need any work at this point, since the unofficial patches have done all the legwork for them. I have some sympathy for the communities in that regard. In the meantime, though, I don't think those installers require anything else and are probably a better option now than trying to run it on a retro machine at this point.