VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ferdish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I just tried to run Star Wars Episode 1 Racer using DXWnd and it works quite fine - no serious glitches or shutdowns so far, but one annoyng thing is still happening while playing the game. Besides the in-game mouse cursor, there is always an extra Windows default mouse cursor present. Althout the active one is the in-game one, it acts confusing since they are shifted from each other.That Win cursor appears in every menu of the game and even during the race, where in-game cursor is off. It is quite annoying to put it always at the edge of the screen. I tried to play with "Show cursor" and "Hide cursor" options in DXWnd, but no success. Any suggestions how to get rid of that, please?

Reply 1 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Download MS ACT 5.x or 6.0 and create a fix for the game with the flag "HideCursor". Run Compatibility Administrator (and not Compatibility Manager), click on the button "Fix" and follow the instructions.

Reply 2 of 12, by Ferdish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ACT? Isn't that necessary for Windows Vista and newer? I am using XP, would that wor for it as well?

EDIT: Well, this is more complcated that it looks - that fix although removes the cursor, however, I thought it would be like an installer which overwrites the particular sequence in the game code to remove that cursor once and for good, not an "emulator" through which I have to launch the game, because I can't play it unless I launch it via DXWnd due to standard problems like white screen etc. Maybe if I send you screencaps with DXWnd selected options, you will be able to advise me which options in addition to "HideCursor" I must flag to make ACT fix for running the game properly. What do you think about it?

Reply 3 of 12, by TeddyTheBear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have this game so I've never tried to get it to work on a modern system but I did have an issue with double mouse cursors with some other wrapper .dll software and the fix was to set the mouse pointer scheme to "(None)" in the control panel. Bit of a long shot I know.
This is on win 7 by the way.

Reply 4 of 12, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the ACT backend was added to XP with one of the service packs ( SP2? )

A properly install ACT fix will be applied every time, regardless of how the game was launched.

If DxWnd is running in the background...
DxWnd will automatically inject itself into the game process upon creation of the main window, regardless of how it was launched.

Questions about DxWnd should be ask in the DxWnd forums:
http://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/general/

you should not post screen caps of DxWnd option settings.
if necessary, export your DxWnd setting for the game
then upload ( in the DxWnd forums ) the resulting "Star Wars Episode I Racer.dxw"

( I don't have this game... well at least not for the PC )

Reply 5 of 12, by Ferdish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aqrit wrote:
the ACT backend was added to XP with one of the service packs ( SP2? ) […]
Show full quote

the ACT backend was added to XP with one of the service packs ( SP2? )

A properly install ACT fix will be applied every time, regardless of how the game was launched.

If DxWnd is running in the background...
DxWnd will automatically inject itself into the game process upon creation of the main window, regardless of how it was launched.

Well, it doesn't work in my case. ACT will apply every time, but not when DXWnd is running in the background, regardless of how the game was launched. It looks like DXWnd supress the ACT fix and prevent it from working. When I shut the DXWnd down, the Win cursor dissappears, but without DXWnd the game is unplayable due to white screen bug (I can see HUD, my racer and a piece of track near him, the rest is just all white).

Nevertheless, let's say I can live with two cursors in the game. I started a new campain and finished first two races - The Boonta Training Course and Mon Gazza Speedway. But in third race, thirty seconds after start, my screen just turn all white, I can't see anything but the HUD. Music and sounds seems to be OK. Do you know guys how to fix that?

Reply 6 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try creating a fix for dxwnd.exe using the same flag. However, since dxwnd forces the game to run in windowed mode, it might not work and the developer will probably have to implement mouse capture for the desired effect.

Reply 7 of 12, by Ferdish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Try creating a fix for dxwnd.exe using the same flag. However, since dxwnd forces the game to run in windowed mode, it might not work and the developer will probably have to implement mouse capture for the desired effect.

I don't play it in window mode 😉

Reply 12 of 12, by Ferdish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried filipetolhuizen's advice to create a fix for dxwnd.exe, but it still doesn't work.

EDIT: I just played with screen options a little bit and finally I have only one cursor visible. Thanks for your effort, guys!