VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bakudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out that the PC version of G-Police has an option for AGP cards only where the game supposedly has better graphics (most notably the billboards have full videos instead of just animations.) Does anyone know if there are any other games like this that have an option for AGP cards only?

Reply 1 of 5, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know but I though this was usually related to the amount of video memory on the cards, rather than whether they were AGP or PCI. AGP allowed the cards to use standard memory if they ran out of video memory, so at the time they could use more graphics resources than other cards (albeit at significantly slower speeds when they started using standard memory). As more modern cards started providing significantly more video memory that became a moot point.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 2 of 5, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Midtown Madness 2 has an AGP-only option for very high texture quality, but quite frankly I don't really see a difference anywhere in the game:

dBD5CYx.png

Maybe I need to look at the in-game graphics more closely 😊

I think Midtown Madness has a similar option, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll install it in my Win98SE build to confirm this.

EDIT - Yup, Midtown Madness does have it as well:

UdFcwWp.png

Still couldn't see any significant difference between very high and high texture quality.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 5, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, but the question is if that's really AGP specific, or if it's just an indicator that the video memory used exceeded the amount on boards available at the time.

Last edited by kolano on 2014-12-02, 18:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 4 of 5, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
kolano wrote:

Right, but the question is if that's really AGP specific, or if it's just an indicator that the video memory used exceeded the 32/64MB on boards available at the time.

I believe is the later. I've never seen any differences with either setting and have played both games frequently. In fact I would categorize it as more of a gimmick, something game companies did to make AGP video cards more appealing to PC gamers at the time. I posted the screenshots just to show bakudd that some games did offer this particular choice - even if they did nothing really special when selected.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There really isn't much else to AGP besides being a way to use more textures on a card with small local memory.

Battlezone also had a "large assets" pack that had AGP cards specified. That was when 4-8MB was a common local RAM size. Blood 2 and Shogo refer to AGP cards for High detail mode. I'm sure the list goes on...