VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I run Viper Racing (you can get a copy here: links to abandonware are forbidden.) patched to 1.2.3 (via 1.2.1, the 1.1 patch won't work with my version ever), it boots, then shows a pop-up window titled "Our Apologies" and "Your video card returned an error. Are your video drivers up to date?"

If you run the game with Compatibility Mode of Win95, it then generates some log files in the C: drive, where it reports:

vid: 0 meg card (reported:0.523438)
vid: using AGP textures
unsupported: 0 megs of vram

So I think it's misdiagnosing my 4GB GTX 980 card (or it's yet another Nvidia driver related problem!).

Can anyone think of a workaround? dgVoodoo's DirectX replacement files don't do anything different for this one.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 40, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm suspecting it's an nvidia driver problem (not surprising how their 'way it's meant to be played' is broken in most cases to the point where people blame Windows) as it works on RadeonHD6 here without any wrapper on Windows 7. v1.0.

vid: 16 meg card (reported:2806.835938)
possible fps: 1119.312378 (1107)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure it is freeware, but not sure anyone would care about it any more.

Interesting though that it works on ATI, again... I'm finding more and more of these. And as they're so old I can't imagine Nvidia would care two hoots about fixing their drivers for them!

Ironically some games that were broken on my previous computer now work though, e.g. Plane Crazy, Sports Car GT (Glide), Shadows Of The Empire, Wipeout 2097... some with more specific fixes though! I've got hundreds more games to run through though, so I'll be raising any more in here too. Plus any fixes I generate!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 40, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
I'm suspecting it's an nvidia driver problem (not surprising how their 'way it's meant to be played' is broken in most cases to […]
Show full quote

I'm suspecting it's an nvidia driver problem (not surprising how their 'way it's meant to be played' is broken in most cases to the point where people blame Windows) as it works on RadeonHD6 here without any wrapper on Windows 7. v1.0.

vid: 16 meg card (reported:2806.835938)
possible fps: 1119.312378 (1107)

Jumping to conclusions is bad, just as Windows have been blamed for too many Nvidia compatibility issues, so has been Nvidia been blamed for a few too many Windows compatibility issues.

The demo for Viper Racing runs fine on my Win7/Nvidia setup btw.

Reply 5 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's interesting. I'll try the demo later. It might be possible to hack around the graphics check perhaps, but that's not my skill set.

Reply 6 of 40, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This game is a little tricky.

Viper Racing.exe is just a launcher app and the real executable is Data\race.bin

So you have to place DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll into the Data subfolder.
Unfortunately the current dgVoodoo version does not work with it because of a small incompatibility with MS DX5.
I've fixed that and the game now works beautifully. Will be included in the next version.

Reply 7 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds great! I tried the demo and it too failed with the graphics driver error.

Dege, I think once I've finished re-installing games (may be a few months haha!) I'll post a thread for you with all the games I have issues with (might test run them on ATI based PC at work too), so you've got a list of things to have a play with. They're mostly racing games, mind you...

Reply 8 of 40, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using Version 1.1 (what's on the CD-ROM with no additional patches), I have no issues with the full game on the following systems:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (Desktop)
AMD Athlon 7550 Dual Core Processor 2.5 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 210 (Version 296.10 Driver)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Laptop)
Intel Core i3-2310M Dual Core Processor 2.1 GHz
Intel HD 3000 Graphics (Version 8.15.10.2361 Driver)

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit (Laptop)
Intel Pentium B950 Dual Core 2.1 GHz
Intel HD 2000 Graphics (Version 9.17.10.3347)

Reply 9 of 40, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same problem with a 4GB 980. It used to work with a 2GB 660ti on the same PC. I think the 4GB piece is causing a numeric overflow in the executable.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 10 of 40, by Deadalus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a different problem with v1.2.3, every time I go to Options screen, it crashes with this exception in the log:

============================================================ EXCEPTION: Task "<main>" @ 00480FC1 : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION NO […]
Show full quote

============================================================
EXCEPTION: Task "<main>" @ 00480FC1 : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
NON-DEBUG
( 004154D0 , none , my_handler )
( 00480FC1 , EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION , ? )
( 00415084, call-stack , ? )
( 00414080, call-stack , ? )
============================================================

Running the game directly from Race.exe inside the data folder still fine since it's remain untouched by the patch.

Reply 11 of 40, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dege, I think once I've finished re-installing games (may be a few months haha!) I'll post a thread for you with all the games I have issues with (might test run them on ATI based PC at work too), so you've got a list of things to have a play with. They're mostly racing games, mind you...

That would be great!

Reply 12 of 40, by beatcracker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
If you run the game with Compatibility Mode of Win95, it then generates some log files in the C: drive, where it reports: […]
Show full quote

If you run the game with Compatibility Mode of Win95, it then generates some log files in the C: drive, where it reports:

vid: 0 meg card (reported:0.523438)
unsupported: 0 megs of vram

So I think it's misdiagnosing my 4GB GTX 980 card (or it's yet another Nvidia driver related problem!).

Can anyone think of a workaround?

It's a bug in the video card detection routine that triggered when video memory size reported by DirectDraw is close to 4Gb. Nascar Heat is built on the same engine and exhibits the same problem. I've managed to patch the Nascar Heat to fix this bug, and it looks like this patch can be applied to the Viper Racing as well. For the patch details please see my answer at superuser.com. If it doesn't work for you, post here or drop me a PM, and I'll try to help.

Last edited by beatcracker on 2015-02-24, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This sounds positive, I'll have a look later on, thanks!

Reply 14 of 40, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
beatcracker wrote:

It's a bug in the video card detection routine that triggered when video memory size reported by DirectDraw is close to 4Gb. Nascar Heat is built on the same engine and exhibits the same problem. I've managed to patch the Nascar Heat to fix this bug, and it looks like this patch can be applied to the Viper Racing as well. For the patch details please see my answer at superuser.com. If it doesn't work for you, post here or drop me a PM, and I'll try to help.

Thanks for that! After reading your explanation I was able to get around a similar issue with 3dMark2000 which had been nagging me for a while.

Re: Running 3dMark 2000 on modern hardware

Reply 15 of 40, by beatcracker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:

Thanks for that! After reading your explanation I was able to get around a similar issue with 3dMark2000 which had been nagging me for a while.

Re: Running 3dMark 2000 on modern hardware

Glad to be of help! Personally, I'd enjoy some details about what was the problem and how you circumvented it. Even a short description could be helpful to someone, as you can see for yourself 😉.

Reply 16 of 40, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

beatcracker, I PM'd you about Viper Racing

Reply 17 of 40, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
beatcracker wrote:

Glad to be of help! Personally, I'd enjoy some details about what was the problem and how you circumvented it. Even a short description could be helpful to someone, as you can see for yourself 😉.

The problem seems to be pretty similar to the Nascar situation in that the reported vram is to big to fit into a 32 bit integer causing a change in signedness. Since a negative number is obviously smaller than the 4 MB minimum requirement the benchmark refuses to run. 3dMark 2000 uses these functions to detect the amount of video memory:

getTotalVideoMemory
getTotalTextureMemory

which I could locate in SystemInfomfc.dll and overwrite with NOP instructions.

Last edited by teleguy on 2015-02-25, 19:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 40, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like there should be an Application Compatibility Toolkit fix that fixes this...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 40, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Seems like there should be an Application Compatibility Toolkit fix that fixes this...

+1

I had even considered writing to Microsoft requesting this.

DxWnd actually has such a compatibility fix but more often than not it doesn't work.