VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Le Mans 24 Hours 2002 edition is by Atari, it's a port by Torus of the PS2 version of the Dreamcast version of the game, not to be confused with the previous Infogrames/Eutechnyx version which works fine (a PS1 port).

Now on my work Win7 64bit PC running ATI HD 4600 the game can be installed and works fine. On my home PC with Win8.1 64bit running GTX 980 I get two major problems:

1. The Microsoft Installshield installer (needs WinXP compatibility to work, as it did at work) bombs out with a "Feature transfer error" number 1603 Fatal error during installation. Various sites have various workarounds for this, but I'm not sure it's even necessary... because when I tested at work that an installed folder of the game (copied off a Win98 virtual machine where it installed fine) would work (without being installed via the installer or any registry strings), it worked fine, so I'm not sure "officially" installing it is necessary!

2. When I run the game from the Lemans.exe file, the graphics card selection screen loads fine, then when I start the game (which again works at work) it opens a window, then a pop-up saying "Fatal Error" and "Problem loading teams data file", with OK closing the game. The game does begin accessing the DVD drive successfully, it just then fails. I'm wondering if it might, once again, be down to Nvidia's drivers, but the error sounds like something else.

So yeah, a bit stumped on this. Am beginning to think about setting up a VMWare virtual WinXP machine for these older games, if it'll work Direct3D properly!

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2015-11-30, 00:25. Edited 1 time in total.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might be worth adding that my PC is set up a little weirdly; I've got most Windows key folders (including Desktop and Temp) mapped onto the D: drive, as I didn't want to strain my SSD on C: so much. But I tried installing Le Mans both on D: and C: and the same 1603 error occurs.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 14, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When installing on the following machine, I get the same 1603 error:

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit (Laptop)
Intel Pentium B950 Dual Core 2.1 GHz
Intel HD 2000 Graphics (Version 9.17.10.3347)

If I copy a working installation from a Windows 7 32-bit machine, including the following registry entries adjusted to point to the correct path on the Win 8.1 machine, the game does work correctly using the Lemans.exe file after Win 8.1 recognizes the need to install the optional DirectPlay component and completes that additional installation task. When the game executes the first time, it allows selection of the correct modes for the Intel HD chipset, and the registry entries do update accordingly.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Infogrames]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Infogrames\Le Mans 24 Hours 2002]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Infogrames\Le Mans 24 Hours 2002\Release]
"BPP"=dword:00000020
"CardName"="NVIDIA GeForce 210 "
"Language"=dword:00000409
"FullScreen"=dword:00000001
"GameLanguage"=dword:00000409
"Height"=dword:000003c0
@=""
"Path"="D:\\Program Files\\Infogrames\\Le Mans 24 Hours\\"
"RefreshRate"=dword:0000003c
"TextureScaleFactor"=dword:00000000
"Width"=dword:00000500

Note that I also applied the AutoRun.exe patch in the original Windows 7 installation to get around the need for DirectX 8.1 to be specifically installed.

Reply 3 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I think the 1603 error is caused by an older version of the Windows Installer/InstallShield being used. I tried numerous supposed fixes but none work. A similar issue prevents ToCA Race Driver 1 from being installed (ToCA Race Driver 2 uses a newer version of the installer and seems to install fine, but I haven't completed installing it yet due to it using the dreaded Starforce protection!).

However I've validated (on old XP machine and newer ATI graphics Win7 64bit machine) that you can install the game, just by making a folder on the PC, then copying the whole\program files\Infogrames\Le Mans 24 Hours folder from the CD-ROM into that folder. The game will work and will even save settings, without setting up anything in the Registry at all!

HOWEVER: on my Win8.1 64bit, I still a pop up saying "Fatal Error"/"Problem loading teams data file" immediately after choosing a graphics mode (which is only possible with Compatibility Mode higher than Win98, or using no Compatibility Mode at all), so this might be down to an issue with the Nvidia drivers again...

Reply 4 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still getting this error. It only seems to affect Win8.1. I think the teams.txt file is stored inside a Data.zip file (inside the data folder) which somehow is accessable in Win7 and earlier... or something.

The game stops loading in Process Monitor with a CreateFile of D:\Games\lemans24h2\Data\teams.txt, saying NAME NOT FOUND with Desired Access: Generic Read (etc)

Reply 5 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, finally I got it working, as I uninstalled the older Le Mans 24 Hours game (the Eutechnyx/Infogrames one), cleared Registry related mentions of lemans, then installed the Atari 2002 version, by copying the whole \program files\Infogrames\Le Mans 24 Hours folder from the CD onto my PC. It now works. Not sure if it can co-exist with the older version or not (it did on XP). More to investigate on that one...

Reply 6 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay here's how to get old Eutechnyx/Infogrames Le Mans 24 Hours, and the newer Atari version to co-exist on a modern PC, or how I did it!

1. Install Infogrames version (use inst.exe on the CD if the default autorun installer does nothing).
2. Locate the folder you installed it into, and make a copy of it.
3. Uninstall the Infogrames version.
4. Install Atari version. If installer fails, simply copy the "Le Mans 24 Hours" folder off the CD-ROM (find it inside the "program files\Infogrames\" folder) onto somewhere on your computer.
5. Put the copied version of the Infogrames version back/rename it how it was (optional step, I think, just if you have it in a particular location, it's easier to put it back there!)
6. Run the Infogrames version by running Bin\lemans.exe file, in the game's installed folder.
7. Run the Atari version by running Le Mans 24 Hours\Lemans.exe

Bonus tip: unlock all cars and tracks (including hidden F1 car heh) in the Atari game, by making a shortcut to Lemans.exe with /UBERCHEATS on the end, i.e. "D:\Games\lemans24h2\Le Mans 24 Hours\Lemans.exe" /UBERCHEATS

Reply 8 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First one (Infogrames) was a PlayStation port, also known as Test Drive Le Mans, here's the PC version (not the Le Mans track though, as there's several fictional racing tracks included too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkAiRfRiUfo

The second one was a port of the PS2 Le Mans 24 Hours game, which was itself a port of the Dreamcast original (which was much better apparently, by Melbourne House, who also made Dethkarz (PC) and Grand Prix Challenge (PS2)):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZmbmO5ZA0

Reply 9 of 14, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you said the fisrst one was known as Test Drive Le Mans that was the second one, the first was le mans 24 hours
Developed by Eutechnyx Ltd, thats the version I have
since you said I comes with fantasy tracks is that the version to have

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay it's even more complicated than I said...

In Europe the first game was called Le Mans 24 Hours on PSX/PC, but in the US it was called Test Drive Le Mans on PSX/PC.

The second game in Europe was again called Le Mans 24 Hours on Dreamcast/PS2/PC, but in the US it was called Test Drive Le Mans on Dreamcast ONLY... PS2/PC in the US it was still called Le Mans 24 Hours... phew!

Reply 11 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It can be confusing sometimes... both the Test Drive and Need For Speed brands have been used to rename games from Europe differently, here's a few examples from the V-Rally series, which has been sold as both!:

Europe PlayStation: V-Rally: Championship Edition
US PlayStation: Need For Speed: V-Rally
(note: Europe PC: V-Rally: Multiplayer Championship Edition)

Europe PlayStation: V-Rally 2: Championship Edition
US PlayStation/PC: Need For Speed: V-Rally 2

Europe Dreamcast/PC: V-Rally 2: Expert Edition
US Dreamcast: Test Drive: V-Rally

You can see why it gets confusing!

Reply 12 of 14, by The_chugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really sorry to necro this but it seemed silly to make a new post, anyway I cant even get the game to run on Win10, I copied the 'Infograms' folder from the disk to my HD but nothing happens when I click either exe file, tried 98/ME/XP compatabiity and nothing, I dont even get the graphics config screen, what am i doing wrong?

Reply 13 of 14, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The_chugster wrote on 2023-05-30, 16:11:

Really sorry to necro this but it seemed silly to make a new post, anyway I cant even get the game to run on Win10, I copied the 'Infograms' folder from the disk to my HD but nothing happens when I click either exe file, tried 98/ME/XP compatabiity and nothing, I dont even get the graphics config screen, what am i doing wrong?

Maybe try using DxWnd? Compatibility modes aren't always reliable and the issue may instead be fixed by putting DDrawacompat/dgVoodoo2 files in the game folder.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058