VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play Kane and Lynch: Dead Men, on my PC, and I've been getting crash after crash in the game. It crashed on me on start-up, which I managed to fix by using a GFWL emulator, but when I go and play the first level, it all loads fine, until the ending cutscene for that level, then it just crashes, and doesn't even save my progress, so I would have to start the first level all over again, and complete it again to see if anything changes, I've tried multiple solutions, from running as admin to installing a cracked/fixed EXE, but nothing has worked for me so far.

That is about all the details I can give you, the error doesn't give me any more info than "it's stopped working", only the option to close the program or check for a solution online (which never does anything for me) and then close it.

I've heard there's an patch you can download through GFWL, but the emulator I'm using can't check for or download and install updates.

What do I do? If there is a patch, is there anywhere else I can download it?

If it helps, here are my specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit w/ SP2
4.0GHz (Overclocked) 2-core CPU
AMD R9 200 series GPU
8GB RAM
250GB HDD
...and yes, I have the latest drivers, I have checked.

Reply 1 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What exactly are you doing with a GFWL "emulator" here? Have you tried re-installing the game properly and not touching GFWL (from what I remember it does not require it anymore than Fallout 3 does, you just leave it alone and it leaves you alone, but unlike Fallout 3 I'm not aware of a mod that will remove it from the menus (which in the case of Fallout 3 is just useful because it helps it start-up faster)). What about your soundcard?

FWIR these games aren't models of stability, and IME it's usually the audiocard/settings that bring them down - just like the Hitman games that share the same engine. However I don't ever remember having to do anything beyond installing it and running it on a relatively similar machine (Win7x64, Radeon graphics, etc) - it'd crash from time to time, but that's about it. Any reason you're averse to just logging into GFWL and letting it download the patch? (I know, I know, GFWL isn't great, but for the few games that use it exclusively (like this, and Fallout 3), it isn't bad either - it's usually only a problem when it tries to "stack" with other digital download services like Steam and Origin (e.g. BioShock 2)).

If you're avoiding GFWL because you've pirated the game, you should go buy a legal copy. It's not an expensive game. It's $1.74 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Kane-Lynch-Dead-Men-Dow … /dp/B009IXNPDE/

Reply 2 of 10, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm indeed not sure of what you mean with GFWL emulator...
Though I'll try to assume you have a legal copy....

And the solution to any GFWL problem is... just to update the client.
http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient

Regards

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 3 of 10, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

What exactly are you doing with a GFWL "emulator" here? Have you tried re-installing the game properly and not touching GFWL (from what I remember it does not require it anymore than Fallout 3 does, you just leave it alone and it leaves you alone, but unlike Fallout 3 I'm not aware of a mod that will remove it from the menus (which in the case of Fallout 3 is just useful because it helps it start-up faster)).

Well, it had crashed on me when I tried it without the emulator, and with GFWL installed, and it kept crashing, it was only when I installed the emulator that it started up.

obobskivich wrote:

What about your soundcard?

I don't have a soundcard...

obobskivich wrote:

FWIR these games aren't models of stability, and IME it's usually the audiocard/settings that bring them down - just like the Hitman games that share the same engine. However I don't ever remember having to do anything beyond installing it and running it on a relatively similar machine (Win7x64, Radeon graphics, etc) - it'd crash from time to time, but that's about it. Any reason you're averse to just logging into GFWL and letting it download the patch? (I know, I know, GFWL isn't great, but for the few games that use it exclusively (like this, and Fallout 3), it isn't bad either - it's usually only a problem when it tries to "stack" with other digital download services like Steam and Origin (e.g. BioShock 2)).

I have no issue with GFWL, in fact I can bare it more than Steam, Origin and Uplay combined, but like I said before, I never got it running with the real client.

obobskivich wrote:

If you're avoiding GFWL because you've pirated the game, you should go buy a legal copy. It's not an expensive game. It's $1.74 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Kane-Lynch-Dead-Men-Dow … /dp/B009IXNPDE/

Don't worry, I have the genuine copy, I have 2, actually, the first one wouldn't install because the disc was too damaged, but the second copy installed just fine.
I can prove I own the actual game if you need me to.

mirh wrote:

I'm indeed not sure of what you mean with GFWL emulator...
Though I'll try to assume you have a legal copy....

I didn't want to link to the emulator, because it's from a forum that commonly posts pirate downloads for PC games, but a lot of people, like myself, just go to it for getting tools to work around DRM for legal games.

It's a simple dll (xlive.dll) that you just stick into the game's directory and run the original exe.

mirh wrote:

Regards

I just tried that, and I registered my game, and it worked! The game finally went beyond the first cutscene, and there was no patch as far as I was aware. The problem must've been the fact I got an achievement after the first level, xLive (the emulator) doesn't support those yet, so that might've caused the crash...

Thanks for all of your help anyway!

Reply 4 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good to hear the GFWL update works.

On the sound - I meant any sound device, so it could be integrated. If you find that you're running into crashes where the sound loops/hangs/etc disable audio options in the game. I would not enable EAX or any other h/w audio option, even if your equipment can support it (either via emulation or true h/w) - IME all of the DX9 Glacier games (Hitman 4, and both K&L games) become unstable with those settings (I've seen this on multiple systems). Running with "basic" s/w audio tends to eliminate a lot of that.

Reply 5 of 10, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cobra! wrote:
mirh wrote:

Regards

I just tried that, and I registered my game, and it worked! The game finally went beyond the first cutscene, and there was no patch as far as I was aware. The problem must've been the fact I got an achievement after the first level, xLive (the emulator) doesn't support those yet, so that might've caused the crash...

Thanks for all of your help anyway!

Glad I've been useful

obobskivich wrote:

Good to hear the GFWL update works.

On the sound - I meant any sound device, so it could be integrated. If you find that you're running into crashes where the sound loops/hangs/etc disable audio options in the game. I would not enable EAX or any other h/w audio option, even if your equipment can support it (either via emulation or true h/w) - IME all of the DX9 Glacier games (Hitman 4, and both K&L games) become unstable with those settings (I've seen this on multiple systems). Running with "basic" s/w audio tends to eliminate a lot of that.

Really? Does this also apply to latest ALchemy version?

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 6 of 10, by Cobra!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a little curious, though, one of the reasons I was trying xLive was because I wanted a backup plan for when/if GFWL goes down for good, what would happen to all the games using it? Kane & Lynch seems fine, you can still play and save the game without logging into an account, but some games, particularly Capcom ones, require you to activate the game in order to save it, and I'm not sure whether or not the internet is required for that...

Reply 7 of 10, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cobra! wrote:

I'm a little curious, though, one of the reasons I was trying xLive was because I wanted a backup plan for when/if GFWL goes down for good, what would happen to all the games using it? Kane & Lynch seems fine, you can still play and save the game without logging into an account, but some games, particularly Capcom ones, require you to activate the game in order to save it, and I'm not sure whether or not the internet is required for that...

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Games_fo … ws_-_LIVE_games
Well, capcom already removed some games from their games. I'm quite sure that if GFWL had to be closed they would try to find a solution for the rest

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 8 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mirh wrote:

Really? Does this also apply to latest ALchemy version?

I'm not sure what the absolute latest is, but it broke with my X-Fi Prelude (which was always up-to-date before being removed), and it still breaks with my Recon3D which is kept updated via Windows Update. Turning off h/w audio, EAX, etc and it runs much better. 😊 It also broke in XP with Audigy 2 ZS and the X-Fi.

Reply 9 of 10, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, it seems the game is using OpenAL... so as long as you have an X-Fi/Audigy with updated drivers and dlls you are fine (or a Xonar with EAX emulation enabled)

Anyway I really would never use drivers provided by windows update. Every time I hear somebody did, I even read of problems.. I would advise official drivers from creative website..

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 10 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mirh wrote:

Ok, it seems the game is using OpenAL... so as long as you have an X-Fi/Audigy with updated drivers and dlls you are fine (or a Xonar with EAX emulation enabled)

Anyway I really would never use drivers provided by windows update. Every time I hear somebody did, I even read of problems.. I would advise official drivers from creative website..

If you go back to my posts, note that this isn't isolated to a single system, card, Windows installation, Windows version, etc and the only commonality is the game itself. As far as the discussions you linked, I did not say or mention Windows 8.1, Sound Blaster Z, etc and have not experienced the problems that some of those posters noted (and please do recognize that some people in those threads are even saying there's no problems); it is not fair at all to say "every time" or any other such generalization when it appears the problems are isolated, and may not even be causally related. 😊

Out of curiosity, have you tried one of the three problem games with h/w or emulated EAX and found them to work? Care to share?