VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

M25 Racer is the original name for the the Davilex UK game London Racer. Davilex made a patch for London Racer but didn't make one for M25 Racer. I figured one out with their help (in 2005!), as the main bug was caused by .ini files having semi-colons in them, which needed replacing with commas! I've packaged the .ini files with the spel.dat from their London Racer patch, and the original game will now work (tested on XP and Win8.1 64bit).

Here's how to install it:

1. Install the game.
2. Copy the contents of the attached zip file into the game folder, overwriting the files in there.
3. Set WinXP (or earlier) compatibility mode on the M25 Racer shortcut (otherwise you'll often lose the game window behind the menu window, plus the music won't play). You can also set the game to run 640x480 resolution in the compatibility settings, otherwise the menu will be small in the middle of the screen.

Note: I did notice the frame rate goes up and down (quite jerky sometimes). It didn't do this on my old WinXP machine, so it might be a modern graphics driver bug (Nvidia probably!).

Attachments

• Filename
    m25racerfix.zip
    File size
    408.63 KiB
    Downloads
    486 downloads
    File comment
    M25 Racer fix
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 1, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some notes about how to get this running smoothly, especially if you have a >60hz monitor:

Run settings.exe in the game folder, and turn OFF "WaitVbl"
Make the M25 Racer.exe shortcut to have Windows XP compatibility (otherwise no music when racing) and "Run in 640 x 480", if you don't want the menu to be tiny!

I tried the various approaches to improve framerate using an alternative DDRAW.dll, but the game often crashes at the start of a race, so better to not use that.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor