VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia I had ordered was delivered today and I was excited to finally play some driving games properly as my previous wheel broke down a while ago.

My favorite driving game, for the reason of being a fan of Top Gear UK, is Test Drive Unlimited. The very last thing I expected to be problematic about the wheel is the compatibility as it was claimed that it has full Xbox360 and PC support. Turns out that the xbox compatibility is creating a PC compatibility problem.

When I go to the control settings menu in the game and I attempt to assign anything to the wheel absolutely nothing happens. The game appears not to even acknowledge that a controller is present. I read about the problem and it turns out Test Drive Unlimited is notorious for having compatibility problems with some xbox-compatible controllers. The reason for that, I figure, is that those devices generate Xinput rather than DirectInput, which is what a standard controller generates.

I tried, then, to convert one into the other with the use of the x360ce emulator, which is, as far as I can figure out, supposed to do just that. I put the executable in the game folder, I run it as administrator, I click ok to the two question boxes that ask for permission to make a file, and then the program opens up and... immediately crashes completely. Tried two different versions, same result.

I also tried the Pinnacle Game Profiler and Xpadder. These programs just take the input of your controller and assign it to a key of your keyboard so that for example when in-game the throttle is assigned to "w", I can still use my controller to... control it. However, while it works lovely for all the buttons, it does not recreate the analogue axes of the wheel and the pedals and so those act like digital buttons (either full or nothing), which defeats the purpose of having a wheel in the first place.

I've been tinkering and bodging this thing all day and it's driving me mad as I bought a fairly pricey piece of equipment that turned out to be incompatible with the very game I wanted to play with it the most. Please somebody tell me there's a workaround or a fix. 😢

btw. it should be noted that the wheel works just fine with every other game I tested it with so it's not to blame.

Last edited by Yasashii on 2016-07-05, 11:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you haven't been there already, go try the Turboduck people for help. I've incidentally just installed TDU1 and 2 on my new PC, but not tried with my G27 yet.

http://forum.turboduck.net/forums/122-Test-Drive-Unlimited

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 5 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"When I go to the control settings menu in the game and I attempt to assign anything to the wheel absolutely nothing happens."
Could be that the game sees the wheel as a xbox360 pad and you cant rebind controlls on a xbox360 pad
should work in game though

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 11, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 is the first wheel x360 certified (at least the website claims this). So it must be using XInput.
I may try to suggest the hypothesis that although game supports both DirectInput and Xinput....

... wheels might just work with the former, given they stress only that.
And of course x360ce is useless to convert xinput to xinput..

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 9 of 11, by surmur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just the same case as Yasashii has/had. First, I borrowed my friends MOMO racing wheel. it worked good on TDU1, but after I gave it back I bought my own wheel to continue game. The same ferrari 458 italy wheel. And I am going nuts because I havent got it work. I reinstalled drivers, partially uninstalled them and even reinstalled Win7. I visited turboduck site, but no one has answered to this question I saw there. I bought TDU2 and refunded it because it felt really clunky. I prefer to drive in Hawaii instead 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After countless hours of tinkering, I've finally figured it out. Here's the tutorial:

(If for some reason the below method doesn't work, download the Microsoft Xbox360 Controller Driver. Also, if you've installed Motioninjoy in your previous attempts, you might have to uninstall it.)

1. Download and install Vjoy (a tool that emulates a virtual joystick, as the name suggests):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vjoystick/fi … latest/download

and UJR (Universal Joystick Remapper):

http://evilc.com/files/ahk/vjoy/ujr.zip

2. Run "Configure Vjoy" from the start menu, disable all the axes except for X and Y. Input 10 as the number of buttons. in the POV Hat Switch area, select 1 and make sure "Continuous" is selected. Also, untick the "Enable Effects" option, since our wheel does not have Force Feedback. Click "Apply".

Your Vjoy window should look like this:

Vjoy.jpg

3. Go to Game Controllers settings in the Control Panel. You should see "vjoy Device" on top of the list. If it isn't on top, click advanced and set it as the preferred device. It should look like this:

Game_Controllers.jpg

4. Now open UJR. Don't be alarmed at the message that pops up on the first run. It's only there to inform you that it's about to make a config file. Click ok and you can begin mapping the axes and buttons.

Virtual axis 1 should be set to physical stick ID 2 (assuming the Thrustmaster wheel was second on the list of game controllers, as shown in the above picture) and physical axis 1, with the special operations menu remaining at "none". Virtual axis 2 should be set to physical stick 2 and physical axis 3. Special operations also at "none". It should look like this:

Edit: Recently, I've discovered that the wheel's stick ID changes after having plugged in another controller and remains different even after that controller has been unplugged. Therefore, the stick ID might not correspond with its position on the list of game controllers. Some trial and error might, as a result, be required to find the Thrustmaster's actual stick ID.

UJR1.jpg

5. Now go to the "Buttons 1" menu. Select Stick ID 2 for all 10 buttons. Then set the "Button #" menus to 1, 2, 3 and so on respectively. It should look like this:

UJR2.jpg

6. Go to the "Hats" menu and, again, select physical stick ID to 2. Leave UJR running and start TDU.

UJR3.jpg

7. Now go to the "Controls" menu in Test Drive Unlimited and make sure the "Enable wheel" option is ticked in the "Options" menu. Now you should be able to set all the controls as with a normal controller. That's it.

TDUoptions.jpg

IMPORTANT: UJR must be running in the background every time you start TDU. Otherwise, it won't work.