VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NFS2SE can be a pain to get working, even with all the help out there. Here's how I got it working on my PC (3Dfx version ONLY, DirectDraw version is crashing for me before any videos even play, currently). This requires Creative's ALchemy software, as I use a Creative Soundblaster Zx card. If you're not on Creative technology, I don't know if step 5 will be possible for you.

1. Install game by copying the FEDATA and GAMEDATA and all files in the root of the CD-ROM into a folder on your PC (for example C:\games\nfs2). Rename the file INSTALL.NFS to INSTALL.WIN in the folder you copied it into.

2. If you don't have nGlide already, get it and install it from http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide, configure it as you desire.

3. From the nGlide site download the NFS2SE patch http://www.zeus-software.com/files/nglide/nfs2se_patch.zip.

4. Unzip the patches, go into the folder called "NFS2SE Patch (use only for watching videos)" and run PatchInstall.bat to install the fixes necessary.

5. Open Creative ALchemy, click Add, enter game name and Use Game Path, then browse for the install folder (e.g. C:\games\nfs2), click OK, then the >> button to install the update.

6. Run the game using the NFS2SEA.EXE executable (make a shortcut to this if you wish). Hopefully you'll get stutter-free gameplay and perfect sound. If you're unable to do step 5 you'll get good gameplay but stuttering sound. Incidentally, if you apply process Priority of High or Realtime to the executable (which means changing the shortcut's Target to: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "NFS2SEA" /high C:\Games\nfs2\NFS2SEA.EXE) then the sound will be good, but you'll have microstutters in-game.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 2, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

NFS2SE can be a pain to get working, even with all the help out there.

Tell me about it! I installed NFS2SE a while back on my Core 2 Duo system with Win XP Pro. With no patches, the game runs, but as soon as I get near any of the other cars, the game turns into a slideshow.

By using the Application Compatibility Toolkit I was eventually able to get the Glide version working with a Glide wrapper, but the software version is still unplayable. I care because you can do some things with the software version that you can't with the Glide version, like making the tracks night instead of day.