VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't believe I had to join VOGONS just for this.
I've successfully installed Windows 95a in DOSbox Daum using a tutorial, but I am having issues with several programs, VirtualCloneDrive, 7-Zip, and DirectX 8. The first two install just fine, but I can't actually run the programs. The issue doesn't have to do with the emulator at all, as I got the same results in another emulator, Bochs. Also, my computer can't handle the higher-level software such as VMware, VirtualBox, or even Virtual PC. 😢
And I also know that they clearly SHOULD work, as the tutorial has screenshots of them running in DBD, he wouldn't tell us to use these if they didn't work, and nobody else has experienced this problem. I even read in someone's post that VCD works perfectly! And finally, the OS works at full speed, and I've been able to run two games.
Anyway, here's what I've been getting:

Virtual CloneDrive:

boot_010.png
Filename
boot_010.png
File size
88.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I also downloaded a version of that dll file, but it gave me a "missing export" error, like 7-Zip.

7-Zip:

boot_012-1.png
Filename
boot_012-1.png
File size
64.2 KiB
Views
File license

DirectX 8 (and a few other installers):

boot_011.png
Filename
boot_011.png
File size
52.28 KiB
Views
File license

This one won't even install, as it happens when I run the installer. Also happens with Nero ImageDrive.

And I've been able to install the S3 drivers, as well as run Hover! (copied over from Windows 95 CD) and Earthworm Jim SE with no music, both perfectly, at full speed and no lag.

Please help me, especially with VCD! What's wrong with my files?

Reply 3 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

truth5678 meant that you should use old versions of 7zip, Virtual CloneDrive, etc. which would be guaranteed compatible with Windows 95.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 7, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Then don't use that website. 😀 Use 95 era software in 95a. For example, use directx6 or possibly 7, not dx8. Use a compression software for 95. I also posted a thread on installing a cd image tool inside dosbox/95. None of this is supported in dosbox, however, so please test on your own and search for posts. I won't trouble you further with suggestions.