VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just installed around 10 windows games under Windows 98 SE but a couple of them are giving me a VXD error. These games being Rogue Squadron 3D and Grand Theft Auto 2.

Graphics card is a Savage 4 Xtreme running the latest Diamond drivers combined with DX8.1. I've tried reinstalling the games as well as the graphics card driver and DX driver but the error keeps rearing its ugly head.

All the rest of my games work fine....except for Need for Speed 3 which is giving me a black screen but I'm not sure if this is related to the VXD error.

Attachments

• Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    VXD Error
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by borgie83 on 2015-01-21, 05:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure about for the Savage, but with Voodoo cards it seems to be either an outdated driver or runtime that throws this - updating graphics drivers may fix it, but the game should include ("in theory in a perfect world where things work like they're supposed to") whatever updates it needs for the runtime. Are there newer drivers available for the Savage from elsewhere? Are there any updates for the games themselves? And have you tried updating DirectX?

Reply 2 of 7, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Not sure about for the Savage, but with Voodoo cards it seems to be either an outdated driver or runtime that throws this - updating graphics drivers may fix it, but the game should include ("in theory in a perfect world where things work like they're supposed to") whatever updates it needs for the runtime. Are there newer drivers available for the Savage from elsewhere? Are there any updates for the games themselves? And have you tried updating DirectX?

No newer drivers available, game patches have been applied and I've tried reinstalling DX. I haven't tried using anything above DX8.1 though as I didn't really want to use DX9 on this PC.

Now that you mention Voodoo, I do have a Voodoo 1 connected to the Savage 4 Xtreme but this error is popping up regardless of if I select the Primary Display (D3D) or the 3DFX Display.

Reply 4 of 7, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I did a little searching on Google and these came up as possible solutions:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/3dfx.ga … DA/3MIr-shUTfoJ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/3dfx. … ake/nG2M7By7Gnk

http://www.interplay.com/games/support.php?id=106#4

Try to update your Voodoo 1 fxmemmap.vxd to the latest version possible and/or find any duplicates and erase/move them.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 7, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great! Read through the links you provided and the solutions look promising. Will give it a shot shortly 😀

Thanks JayCeeBee64.

Reply 6 of 7, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried using the referance voodoo and s3 drivers instead of the Diamond drivers and it's now working fine. Yay!

This is not the first time I've had trouble with Diamond drivers. Even the referance Aureal 2 drivers work much better than the Diamond ones.

Reply 7 of 7, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Glad to see you got it sorted out 😀

I usually don't bother with Diamond drivers myself, they tend to be older than reference drivers and can cause unexpected grief 😵

Ooohh, the pain......