Critical.jpg
File size
31.82 KiB
Views
File comment
D3D9 error
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Same error happens with D3D8 rendering as well. OpenGL works fine and original D3D gives me speed issues (game runs too fast). The card is a GTX460 with latest drivers on Win7 32 bits. Unreal is patched to latest 227. Any clues?

Reply 22 of 27, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to compare Glide performance on a couple of systems with a big difference in computing power.

System 1: Celeron 466 (66 MHz FSB) with Voodoo 3 3000 (AGP) / AWE64 Gold / 192MB PC100 SDRAM
System 2: P3 866 (133 FSB) with Voodoo 3 3000 (AGP & PCI) / SB Live! Value / 384MB PC133 SDRAM

At 1600x1200, both systems clocked in at 26.8 FPS in the castle timedemo. System 2 pumped out 8.2 FPS at the same resolution with a Geforce 4 Ti4600 (not sure if D3D or OGL -- how do you tell?)

I also have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card, so I overlocked it to 166 MHz and came up with almost the same framerate, 26.9. I know that Voodoo 3 was not a "true" AGP card, but I was surprised that the result was almost exactly the same.

I'm still really surprised by how much better Glide is than D3D/OGL for Unreal engine games.

Reply 23 of 27, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
boxpressed wrote:
I decided to compare Glide performance on a couple of systems with a big difference in computing power. […]
Show full quote

I decided to compare Glide performance on a couple of systems with a big difference in computing power.

System 1: Celeron 466 (66 MHz FSB) with Voodoo 3 3000 (AGP) / AWE64 Gold / 192MB PC100 SDRAM
System 2: P3 866 (133 FSB) with Voodoo 3 3000 (AGP & PCI) / SB Live! Value / 384MB PC133 SDRAM

At 1600x1200, both systems clocked in at 26.8 FPS in the castle timedemo. System 2 pumped out 8.2 FPS at the same resolution with a Geforce 4 Ti4600 (not sure if D3D or OGL -- how do you tell?)

I also have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card, so I overlocked it to 166 MHz and came up with almost the same framerate, 26.9. I know that Voodoo 3 was not a "true" AGP card, but I was surprised that the result was almost exactly the same.

I'm still really surprised by how much better Glide is than D3D/OGL for Unreal engine games.

1600x1200 is just too much for a Voodoo 3 to handle (it's fillrate-limited), that's why you get the same fps. If you lower resolution to a more reasonable 1024x768 then you'll see some differences in performance. The GF4 is probably Direct3D, that's what Unreal Gold selects by default (look in Options/Preferences/Video tab to see what renderer is being used).

The Unreal Engine was designed with Glide in mind from the start. Direct3D/OpenGL were added later as an afterthought, Epic never did properly finish the renderers so they could provide performance and visuals as good as Glide.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 24 of 27, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Done some Voodoo benching a while ago:

1783121_orig.png

Details about the system used and other benchmarks can be found here: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/3dfx-voodoo-s … ut-project.html

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 25 of 27, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I play UNREAL with my PII-333 with a Voodoo3 and it runs quite well in 1024x768.
There was an "optimal" Version for the GLIDE-Support. The latest Version does not
run best on GLIDE. I don't know which Version it was.

There were major differences in the quality of lightning and colorpalette.
I don't find the Version and the sample Screenshots yet.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 26 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm often told 225f is the version to play with Glide but I have a pentium 3 system with voodoo 2 SLI downstairs that get's major FPS tanks whenever elaborate dynamic lighting occurs or multiple fire textures show up.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων