VOGONS

Common searches

Who's still using XP?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Who of you still use the good old Windows XP? According to Microsoft it must be dead now, but not to the extent that it can no longer run. What new (and of course, very old, as in VOGONS) games can you get to run?

P.S. I'm not mentioning any PopCap game here, but those will count.

Follow me on Twitter @kristoffer_jose
https://twitter.com/kristoffer_jose

Reply 2 of 85, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All my PCs have WinXp as the main or as the second OS.
And yes, I don't use the Windows 8.x shit at all.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 85, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows XP is still my main and newest OS I have installed on my (and my fathers) main machines. He said he will probably only upgrade when he has to, so basically when software stops supporting XP, and I will probably be much the same. My main PC is 7 years old now, and I cannot be arsed upgrading the OS. Besides, I have an odd fascination that if I leave the machine be, when I just build a new one and store my current one for a few years, it will be really fun just exploring it when I come to look at it again. 😊

Dad used Windows 3.1 right up until Win98SE came out. He said he never liked the feel of Windows 95, and well we all know what the first edition of Windows 98 was like. We (or at least I) was on Windows 98se as my main machine even after the point where my games no longer supported it, I guess I finally switched to XP after all the messing around back and forth in 2007.

Last edited by Blurredman on 2015-01-25, 09:01. Edited 1 time in total.

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 4 of 85, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the working stuff i use OSX and for gaming (when it's not on retro hardware like C64 or Amiga) i use windows. So on my main gaming PC i installed Windows XP, 7 and 8.0 (still wonder that XP runns fine on that machine). On my second GamePC (Pentium II-350) I installed Dos 6.22 and Windows 98 Se (next i want to install Windows 95 on it, but not sure yet what version).

Reply 6 of 85, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still have a few boxes with XP on them, mostly for testing purposes. Namely, the software my company develops is aimed at being as resource-friendly as possible. Which implies that it also works on older machines (which should be part of the charm/selling point of our software: just use a machine for it that you thought was useless). Being older machines, it's likely that they also still run XP, so XP compatibility is still an important issue for me.

And well, I personally feel that if it takes virtually no extra effort to support a certain OS/system/platform/whatever, then you should. Even if the platform is not going to be used much, it is quite valuable to test your software on as many configurations as possible, to weed out all weird bugs.
Our software uses Direct3D, and D3D9 on XP is quite a different beast from D3D9(Ex) on Vista+. If you really want to make sure your resource management is working properly (resetting lost devices, re-initializing dynamic resources etc), then you should really test this under XP.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 7 of 85, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't, I hate tearing. Desktop composition is essential for me, so nothing older than Vista. Obviously a ton of other reasons I prefer Vista+, but that's the biggest one.

All the features I would miss from XP in Vista+ are already covered by 7+ Taskbar Tweaker and Classic Shell. Two programs I would recommend to anyone who's upgrading from XP to any modern OS and don't want to significantly change the way they work. I've had the same UI setup since Windows 95.

I haven't found a single game I've wanted to play that hasn't worked acceptably in some form under Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 obviously is a compatibility hit, but not as everyone who hates Win8.1 for different reasons wants you to believe.

Reply 8 of 85, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am running XP on both my primary rigs. Got windows 7 as secondary system to handle anything my xp rigs can't.

I don't see myself moving away from xp any time soon until I am forced to when programs become unusable on xp.

I will continue to use xp offline, I am sure, for many years to come.

Reply 9 of 85, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My main systems have windows 7 64 bit installations.. I would use windows xp only for the retro thing and compatibility with older games.. (wouldnt use it for bank accounting or other important things.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 12 of 85, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use XP on my Athlon machine and on various computers at work. One of my colleages still uses DOS+Nortorn Commander on his 386DX for his daily needs. He's over 80 years old and the day that machine was bought - it was the fastest in the department - was almost yesterday for him. Yes, our department was exceptionally poor back in the days.

Reply 13 of 85, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bladeforce wrote:

WindowsXP in a virtual machine, Kubuntu main OS dual boot with hackintosh. Best of all worlds 😀

I read on the Internet that running Windows XP in a virtual machine wouldn't still be safe..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 17 of 85, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was, until last October. May run it again in a virtual machine to get some pesky old Windows games to work again!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor