VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have tested Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 with my WinXp PC.
There is 1 trouble - the installer freezes if yo finish/cancel the setup trosess. As the result - setup.ilg isn't created and I can't uninstall the game properly...
Tested with 1 PC and 2 notebooks, the result is same.
TW2k3 uses InstallShield6 (6.31.100.1019) and installs it to Program Files\Common Files\Installshield\Engine\6\Intel32\
Strangely enough TW2k3 installer works correctly with Vista. And other games/programs with the same InstallShield version works ok (3dmark 2001, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2002 etc).
I have attached needed files to test this.
1) Can someone with a WinXp PC test this pack? Maybe all my PCs are affected by my admin skills and the reason is't IS6.
2) Can someone with enough skills find the reason for this freeze and the fix?
Tnx.

Attachments

• Filename
    TW2k3Test.7z
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File comment
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour Installer files
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 1 of 8, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For what it's worth. There's only so much I can test without resorting to piracy, yet I can tell you right off the bat that the installer does indeed crash if I cancel the installation (no idea if it does so when the installation's finished for I cannot proceed past the serial key screen)

I tried updating the installer but it didn't help.

I'm afraid it looks like manual uninstallation for you.

32-bit WinXP Pro SP3 here.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 2 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it looks like InstallShield7 is affected too. Have tested Hulk and The Simpsons: Hit & Run... Setup.exe freezes after the install is finished. And there is an error 5001 if you try to uninstall:

Attachments

• TheSimpsonsHnR.JPG
    Filename
    TheSimpsonsHnR.JPG
    File size
    14.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure you tried turning off your AV.

Last edited by collector on 2015-02-06, 19:29. Edited 1 time in total.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I'm sure you tried turning off your AV.

Jorpho wrote:

Also, have you tried cleaning out your TEMP directory?

Of course. On 3 PCs.
Well, I still have WinXpSp2 and WinXpSp3 OEM CDs. So I will test the fresh install.

Reply 6 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have tested another problem game (Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005) with a fresh WinXpSp3 install. WinXpSp3, 2 updates (KB898461+KB892130) and LAN drivers.
Well, the setup still freezes. *Censored*.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FWIW, there are quite a few Google hits for "setupdll.cpp (439)" for a wide variety of programs. Most of what I've flipped through concludes with advice about manual uninstallation. There's one promising thread on the Installshield forums; one post suggests running the installation from your TEMP directory directly.

The only other thing I can think of is the usual advice about running Procmon from Sysinternals, and see if you can catch it trying to access a file that doesn't exist.

Reply 8 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the trouble isn't the setupdll.cpp(439) error. I know the reason for this error - the uninstall log wasn't created.
The trouble is - Ikernel.exe/IDriver.exe not respond after the installation process is finished/canceled. "Restore/move/size/minimize/maximize/close" entries in the right-click menu are greyed-out. And you get something about RPC error when you close the frozen process in the task manager.
Luckily the game itself installs properly. Unfortunately - no uninstall log is created...
It looks like something is wrong in the game installer itself, others games/software with the same version work perfectly.