VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

V-Rally 2 has some glitches on modern PCs. Some of these existed in the original game too. Here's a list, and how to beat them, I don't know if there's a more elegant solution?

- VRally2_Setup.exe = says "VRALLY 2 Has not been installed, please install it" - beat this by applying a Compatibility Mode to this executable (any mode seems to work!). Do not use compatibility on the main Vrally2.exe, as it's not needed.

- In-game, there's a border, and frame rate is limited = use one of the fixes here (I prefer the ACT route): http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

- In-game, you can't see the opening video = not fixeable; however you can watch it (plus the bonus, excellent "Climb Dance" film), it's in the CDEuro/Movies/ folder - .mpg format

- In-game, the background is black and menus keep overwriting each other = set resolution to no higher than 640x480 in the setup menu, then the backdrop will appear

- In-game, there's huge black checkerboard areas in the distance = before the race, on the car select screen, go into the GRAPHICS DETAILS menu, and turn off mip-mapping

- In-game, there's parts of the in-car cockpit missing (either just the roof, or large parts of the windscreen/dashboard) = this is a bug with the game that was never fixed! Basically, if you run the game > 640x480 resolution, you'll have this problem. It's a poor Dreamcast port!

- Resolution limited to 1600x1200? = nope, go into the game folder, open 3DCard.ini and change width and height as you like. However the issues with missing cockpit will get worse, the higher you go in resolution. You might also not be able to select highest resolution (i.e. on my 2560x1440 monitor I can't go higher than 1920x1440 without the game crashing, but I find this happens in a few old games, plus they stretch the image anyway, so I prefer 4:3 sometimes).

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 4, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've managed to run the game with DXGL. It works fine in 1366x768 resolution without the menu and "checkerboard" glitches; however, when I try to play two races in a row, the graphics are completely messed up - everything's grey.

EDIT: I've tried playing with the latest SVN version of DXGL and the "grey bug" is gone, game is 100% playable now 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried Application Compatibility Toolkit fix NoGDIHWAcceleration?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor