VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, this is sort of an odd one but I remember this being a problem I had back in the early 2000's and I just recreated this nightmare on accident yesterday when I set up a LAN for my vintage computers.

I currently have the following computers set up on the LAN:

1996 Packard Bell Platinum 55 (Windows 98SE)
1995 Packard Bell Legend 812CD (Windows 95C)
200x Windows XP professional custom gaming computer

I fully expected to have problems with the two Packard Bell computers since I vaguely remember Windows 95 being a pain but to my great relief I got them set up and seeing each other (File sharing and printer sharing) with minimal effort. The problem came in surprisingly with the Windows XP computer!

I hooked it up to the LAN and it just keeps saying it cannot get an IP address and therefore has limited connectivity. I got it to see the Windows 95 computer for a second but I don't remember what I did and when I rebooted it went back to complaining about no connectivity.

Get this though, BOTH of the Windows 9x computer can see each other and access files shared from each other AND they can see and access files shared on the Windows XP computer! The Windows XP computer however refuses to see the other two. 🙁

I remember having this problem before and so I'm hoping someone else can tell me exactly what went wrong. I've looked at everything in the properties and they should by all rights all be communicating freely. If I can just figure out how to get the Windows XP computer to get an IP address or whatever then they should all work.

Also games work fine between all computers even with the XP computer refusing to share files. I played Starcraft against my father yesterday and he was using the XP computer and I was using my Platinum 55.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same workgroup? Did you try manually connecting to the older machines?

This might help:

Network Tutorial Windows 98

Is between Windows 98 and Windows 8.1 but the steps should be the same.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes workgroup is the same, I did everything that is common sense to do. Like I said the Windows XP computer complains about not being assigned an IP address which should be automatic.

Reply 3 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well does it have one assigned?

You can check this in the network area or type IPCONFIG in command prompt.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I checked that, yes it seems to have an IP address...

Perhaps I should try turning it off and on again? 😜

Reply 6 of 12, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it sounds like a network issue, you probably should write in detail how your network is set up.

XP computers use self-assigned IPs if they don't get one. Just because your XP computer has a IP does not necessarily mean it is a valid one. What IP address do you get?

Power cycle all the things.

Reply 7 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The common reason for this is the forced NTLMv2-only mode + no NTLMv2 on Win9x PCs.
WinXp: you can see this with the Local Security Policy ("Local Policies"\"Security Options"\"Network security: LAN Manager authentication level", must be "Send NTLMv2 response only\refuse LM and NTLM") or with the regedit (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\"LMCompatibilityLevel", must be 5).
Win9x: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Comtrol\Lsa\"LMCompatibility" must be 3.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 8 of 12, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

If it sounds like a network issue, you probably should write in detail how your network is set up.

XP computers use self-assigned IPs if they don't get one. Just because your XP computer has a IP does not necessarily mean it is a valid one. What IP address do you get?

Power cycle all the things.

+1. If it's a 169.xx it's likely wrong. If you have a DHCP server it should be 192.xx something by default. If you're just plugging into a switch/hub it cannot automagically put itself together; you have to define an IP address for it.

Give this a look too:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tut … e/wxpwin9x.html

If you have legal/genuine XP install there's also a wizard for home networking that it can transmit via floppy/CD (it may do USB mass storage too, I honestly don't remember - go into the home network wizard thing and it'll ask if you want to put a copy of the wizard on removable storage for Windows 9x/ME machines) that will try to set 9x correctly for your network too. On average it should work, but there's always a chance it doesn't due to X factor problem. I say legal/genuine because a lot of pirated "super light XP" variants have obtuse wizard stuff like this removed. 😒

Reply 9 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I'm going to have to try and define a 192 number because I think it's 169. Sorry I haven't responded in a while. 🤣

It's just plugged into a Linksys 10/100 5 port Network Everywhere Ethernet Hub like I had set up back in the day.

Reply 10 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like that's your problem. Hubs don't have DHCP servers built in.
If you have an old spare router with 4 LAN ports just use that. (I'm guessing you don't want these on the internet)
Otherwise you can assign each PC its own IP address, say 192.168.1.1 for the first PC 192.168.1.2 for the 2nd, etc. Its just a bit harder to troubleshoot problems.

If you do want them on the internet you just plug a network cable between your router and the uplink port of your hub. Everything should be able to find everything else then (but don't be surprised if it doesn't just yet)

Reply 12 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't actually got around to correcting it but yeah I think I'm going to just manually assign numbers because like you guessed I don't want these old computers anywhere near the World Wide Web. 🤣