VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I basically did this:

1. Install the game from the CD-ROM; on my PC there was no need to set Win98 compatibility, but you might need to.

2. Once installed, install the 1.5 patch, which can be found here: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/917 - I DID need to set XP compatibility (at least) on that european.exe file, or it wouldn't find the game.

3. If you now try to run the game, you may get an error 2094. To fix this, use Win98 compatibility on the game.exe file (or the Colin McRae Rally shortcut). If you use XP compatibility or above the game will detect this and say incorrect operating system.

4. There is a Win7 unofficial patch on the net, which you can find here: http://kfyatek-dev.jogger.pl/2011/09/25/colin … indows-7-patch/ however when I tried this patch the game seemed to crash for me, so I uninstalled and reinstalled without using this patch, and now it seems to work. Again, it might just be my setup, so you might need to run this patch.

5. I can see both opening videos on my PC, as I installed the Indeo video drivers from *somewhere* on the net already. Not very helpful, this bit, I admit...

6. Try running the game, it *should* work. It might occasionally crash when loading a race though. You'll also notice graphics corruption in the 3D items in the menu, as it uses 256 colour mode, which is no longer supported. However the game will be okay.

7. Here's the smoothness trick. If you use "Motion Smoothing" option in the games Advanced graphics setting, it seems to lock the framerate to something like 30fps. To get whatever framerate you like (I get 144fps and boy is it smooth!), you need to do one thing, and that's to either drop a modified DDRAW.dll file into the game folder, or use ACT on both game.exe and rally.exe with the fixes listed here (I prefer ACT as it's not using a potentially one day out-of-date DDRAW.dll): http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

And that's it. Sometimes it might crash loading a race though, perhaps the Win7 patch may help more there, I didn't experiment with it too much. But, yes, turn off motion smoothing and enjoy 60fps, 120fps, whatever your monitor supports!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might have spoke too soon, as the game crashed halfway through a stage too... maybe it doesn't like high fps, or my sound card, or needs the Win7 patch, or something else :-p anyway it's a starting point!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed the Win7 unofficial patch and made it through at least one stage without a crash. But your mileage may vary!

Reply 3 of 10, by MrHacker234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When i installed CMR on my computer, Win7 patch, DDRAW for more frames, i have problem in menu. Lags like hell, but in Service station...it's annoying. I can't set any settings, because lags can't give fun! In gameplay, works fine. But in menu...Same thing in RC2000, but...menu looks like ghost town...

Reply 4 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the menus are sluggish in CMR. RC2000 I see parts of the menu flicker and vanish, but they're usable if I cycle refresh rates on my monitor (which luckily I can do)

Reply 6 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might do; not tried it. I don't go too far into wrappers and so on if I can get the game working natively.

Reply 7 of 10, by MrHacker234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's okay, but...i found another solution...I don't want play CMR or RC2000 on my PC, so...i will install Win 98 on my old ThinkPad T40...But i'm waiting for solution for lagging Menu in Win 8.1 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE: instead of the ACT fix for DXPrimaryEmulation, use NoGDIHWAcceleration instead!

Reply 9 of 10, by Blade87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with making my Colin McRae Rally 1 smooth. I am trying to use Microsoft Application Compatibility Tool to fix the low frame rate issue. Could you please tell me step by step what I should check when creating a database in this application? I do knot know exactly what settings are most appropriate (I use Windows 8.1, my graphic card is GeForce 970X). When I do it on my own I always end up with gameplay in...blue colours on a small screen in the top left corner of the monitor. By the way, when I enter the game settings in the main menu, the only option in graphic settings is 'no graphic card' (I use the Polish language version). Is it normal? Anyway, I cannot play the game as it displays only blue colours. I have installed the necessary patches. Please help! Thank you in advance.

PS. I forgot. It's not only about blue colours. The game does not detect the 3D graphic card at all.

Attachments

• Colin.png
    Filename
    Colin.png
    File size
    26.67 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This is what I get (now I use Windows 10)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 10, by Blade87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for being bothersome, but maybe now you could help me with this after uploading a gameplay printscreen

Edit:

Yeah! Finally it's working. If I had known that the problem was that simple I would have solved it much earlier. It was 'motion compensation' that should always remain off. So, forget 😉