VOGONS

Common searches

Is Deus Ex supposed to be so slow in Glide?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 84, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tobiasrieper wrote on 2024-01-26, 22:55:

OK, so I'm running Deus Ex, latest official patch and getting around 34-49 fps on liberty Island. On average it hovers at 44. I use a Voodoo 3 3000 on a Coppermine PIII 1ghz, 512mb of RAM With Win98se.

Runs really well in Glide although I can only use 16 bit colour depth. Does anyone have a Voodoo with 32 bit colour depth and can show me a comparison with 16 and 32 bit?
I want to know if its worth getting a Voodoo 4500. Cheers 😀

Oh oh oh and so we get our new year message in this beloved almost 10 years old thread (it's almost tradition now), well you found the right person since i have a voodoo 5 (i tested this game with V3, Gf2, GF 256 DDR) and i can simply disable one chip, making it behave like a V4 and lucky you i did that in the past just for fun (4\5 months ago).
The framerate tanks hard at 32bit even on a V5 using both chips, on a V4 you can expect 25\33 fps at 1024x768 32bit, it looks better, sometimes it's really noticeable (shadows, particles) and sometimes you really can't tell the difference, mind you i'm using an athlon XP 1800+ which is plenty powerful to keep up with deus ex and it doesn't bottleneck the V5.

If you want pictures, videos and numbers you have to wait a bit but i will be able to provide them.

EDIT: I was actually planning to add a lot of results in the future regardless, thank you for reminding me

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 81 of 84, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really curious as to what your findings will show us. I enjoy playing games through the Glide API.

It's generally good times. First time I played Deus Ex was on a PS2 back in 2001. I'm starting another playthrough using the V3 and i am happy with the performance. I've played Deus Ex using Metal, that was interesting!

It's game I come back to often. Same with Doom, Halflife and Goldeneye. I very much look forward to your results 😀
I'm saving up for one of Anthony's 3dfx Cards.

Reply 82 of 84, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tobiasrieper wrote on 2024-01-26, 23:57:
I'm really curious as to what your findings will show us. I enjoy playing games through the Glide API. […]
Show full quote

I'm really curious as to what your findings will show us. I enjoy playing games through the Glide API.

It's generally good times. First time I played Deus Ex was on a PS2 back in 2001. I'm starting another playthrough using the V3 and i am happy with the performance. I've played Deus Ex using Metal, that was interesting!

It's game I come back to often. Same with Doom, Halflife and Goldeneye. I very much look forward to your results 😀
I'm saving up for one of Anthony's 3dfx Cards.

You tell me about it, i love replaying deus ex and i was not aware of Anthony's 3dfx Cards, nowadays i find my old hardware on amibay, hopefully it will not take too long.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 83 of 84, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anthony's 3dfx cards I have only heard of good things. The one I'd like is the 'Mini-Me' Voodoo 4500 like you can see them all on his site. I have great performance in glide with Deus Ex and my setup. Just curious about 32 vs 16 bit really. Not particularly fussed about frame rates, not many of us were in 2000 as long as it was 25+ we were happy.

Reply 84 of 84, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally had some time to setup the V5 system, hopefully during the week i will have comparison screens and a bench.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png