Common searches

XP-era games that have trouble running on Win7/8

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 73, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BuckoA51 wrote:

I have American Mcgees Scrapland retail original and I've never been able to play it. Funny thing is even if I boot my PC into XP, I still can't get the **** Starforce to work. **** you Starforce. I can't find a working crack for it anywhere either.

try to update it

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 61 of 73, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mirh wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:

I have American Mcgees Scrapland retail original and I've never been able to play it. Funny thing is even if I boot my PC into XP, I still can't get the **** Starforce to work. **** you Starforce. I can't find a working crack for it anywhere either.

try to update it

No, the game uses SF 3.04.50. Can't work with Vista/7/64-bit at all, the driver can't be updated. And there is no official patches for this game = no newer SF version. So the only way is a no-cd.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 64 of 73, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just about all old games are a PITA to run on modern systems if you ask me. I think the only important thing is if they do or do not work. If they work, it's really only a matter of better documentation, which everyone can do.

Pity there isn't even a good wiki for documentation on how to run old games (PCGamingWiki is close, but it's a bit too focused on modern games I feel).

Reply 65 of 73, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

I think the only important thing is if they do or do not work. If they work, it's really only a matter of better documentation, which everyone can do.

What if something only works because of some obscure configuration setting that not everyone knows how to document?

Reply 66 of 73, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I think the only important thing is if they do or do not work. If they work, it's really only a matter of better documentation, which everyone can do.

What if something only works because of some obscure configuration setting that not everyone knows how to document?

If you can find it you can document where it is. If you can't... well another thing that's also easy is getting someone to help you through the process of elimination required to find it.

Also that there are tons of obscure configuration settings on computers is a myth that needs to die. There aren't that many.

Reply 67 of 73, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

If you can't... well another thing that's also easy is getting someone to help you through the process of elimination required to find it.

Some threads around here suggest that process is at times far from easy.

Also that there are tons of obscure configuration settings on computers is a myth that needs to die. There aren't that many.

You might have a point there. On the other hand, there are games like Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Resident Evil 2 which apparently won't cooperate unless Media Player is running in the background for some strange reason. (I learned about the latter the other day at http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/09/04/resident-evil-2/ , which seems like a pretty nifty site.)

Reply 68 of 73, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

Just about all old games are a PITA to run on modern systems if you ask me. I think the only important thing is if they do or do not work. If they work, it's really only a matter of better documentation, which everyone can do.

Pity there isn't even a good wiki for documentation on how to run old games (PCGamingWiki is close, but it's a bit too focused on modern games I feel).

There's my compatibility list. Haven't had time to work on it much unfortunately. Too busy working on the backend stuff.

Bought another NAS for backups and currently syncing that.

My list is a excel spreadsheet on purpose since it's easily portable and useable by all but users cannot contribute to it....which for me is a good thing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 69 of 73, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

It's not like PCGW has a policy restricting documenting older games (gosh, there are also DOS specific settings)
There just need to be somebody writing its findings.

Jorpho wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

You might have a point there. On the other hand, there are games like Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Resident Evil 2 which apparently won't cooperate unless Media Player is running in the background for some strange reason. (I learned about the latter the other day at http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2014/09/04/resident-evil-2/ , which seems like a pretty nifty site.)

May be related to this
I am also of the opinion that there's no way computers can hide something to you. You'll be always able to pin point the cause of something, whatever it is.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 71 of 73, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually started play-old-pc-games.com (yes, really that was the shortest domain I could get) as I found while researching old games I was amassing quite a collection of Evernote clippings from around the web. Typically there'd be a bit on PC Gaming wiki, a bit on a forum like this one, then a bit somewhere else etc and so on so I thought hey this might as well go up on the web to benefit other people too. It's actually now become the most popular site I've ever made (not that that's saying much I suppose!). PC Gaming Wiki is a great resource but it's not very beginner friendly, it's articles are really written like brief notes, so I was really shooting for a comprehensive guide for the best old PC games (or whatever I could get my hands on) that beginner, or at least intermediate users could follow. Saying that, getting some old games to work is still a real challenge, the Redneck Rampage guide I did for instance I have trouble following that and I wrote it 😀

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 72 of 73, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BuckoA51 wrote:

I actually started play-old-pc-games.com (yes, really that was the shortest domain I could get)

Truth be told, the first couple of times I saw that URL I figured it had to be some kind of scam site. 😊

Reply 73 of 73, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting that you would think that, that never really crossed my mind that people would trust a longer url less. Those longer URLs used to be much more common at one time, people thought it was better to stuff keywords in a long url.. of course now so many people use mobile too, typing long urls is a bind so people avoid them if they can.

play-old-pc-games.com