VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I recently lucked out and got a few games from the Goodwill. Among those was MechWarrior 2 Pentium Edition. I recently built a Win98 box with these specs:
Pentium 2 300MHz, Matrox Mystique 220 PCI, SoundBlaster AudioPCI (I plan to get it replaced with an AWE64 or AWE32), 20GB HDD, Win98SE, and an SE440BX-2 motherboard.

I installed MechWarrior 2 Pentium on this machine (as far as I know MW2 Pentium is just a renamed 95-only version) and it works great. Of course, since I have a Mystique, I really wanted to see how the game would look with it.

So, I download the Matrox Mystique conversion files from here (MechWarrior 2 | 3D card conversion files) and put them in my game directory. I try to start a mission, and... nothing happens, I get booted to a screen telling me I failed the mission despite not even playing the mission. Okay, maybe it crashed. No, I try again, it does the same thing. Again. And again. I don't know what's going on, but the game won't work at all with the Mystique files, despite having a Mystique in the machine. Anyone know what's up? Am I supposed to follow special instructions to replace the files? The files from the conversion RAR added MYSTIQUE.PAR and replaced these in the game directory:

MW2.DLL
MW2.PRJ
MW2SHELL.DLL
SKYGND.PAR

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SpeedySPCFan on 2015-02-20, 21:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 1 of 4, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello there! Since you already own the game, you don't have to feel sorry for pirating it. I suggest you download the game and try it with Mystique patches. MechWarrior 2 Titanium worked very well for me.

Reply 2 of 4, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

Hello there! Since you already own the game, you don't have to feel sorry for pirating it. I suggest you download the game and try it with Mystique patches. MechWarrior 2 Titanium worked very well for me.

Yeah, that's what I did in the OP with my version of the game. Installed it through my Pentium Edition CD, put the Mystique files in the game directory, game didn't work anymore. I dunno of anyone with a Mystique edition ISO I could burn, so I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or the game is broken. I think the Mystique and other versions are just the Pentium/95 CD with the unique files added to them in place of the originals.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 4 of 4, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:

I guess you may be missing MSI95.DLL. This is the DLL for Matrox pre-DirectX, propriety 3D API, Matrox Simple Interface. MW2 3D-enhanced for Matrox Mystique CD comes with this.

I'll try that, thanks! Any idea where I can get it?

EDIT: Got it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, going to try it later. c:

EDIT 2: It works! Yay! Frame rate is about 15-20 I'd guess, it's playable but kind of slow, graphics are interesting since I'm used to vanilla MW2. Thanks for the help! Here's the DLL if anyone else needs it.