VOGONS

Common searches

InstallShield Wrapper

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 24, by AxXxB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mr.Blade wrote:

The problem relates to for example this quite unknown game, Superbike: World Championship (1998)

I think i found ISO of it (autorun window is look like this? http://static.old-games.ru/uploadedimages/201 … 719638d642c.png) and it uses 16-bit IS5 installer (and it works with Wrapper). To make sure this is 16-bit (may be this is some other version of game or not this game at all) you can upload SETUP.EXE in attachment.

So. It looks like something goes wrong when IS Wrapper was uninstalled. Let's try to fix it 😀

Could you export from regedit these registry nodes?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NtVdm64\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NtVdm64\

Also please upload contents of folder "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\InstallShield".

By the way, which version of IS Wrapper did you use?

Gamecollector wrote:

I use this wrapper for nGlide test pack. Most games in this pack use IS5 32-bit. Some games use IS3 and IS5 16-bit.
There are some troubles (can't start 16-bit setup.exe from another program, like autoruns etc) but the wrapper don't break anything.

Wow, that was a great test of Wrapper! If you remember details of appeared troubles, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks you all guys!

Reply 21 of 24, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AxXxB wrote:

If you remember details of appeared troubles, it would be very appreciated.

Actua Golf 2, Andretti Racing, Bio F.R.E.A.K.S - all have autoruns. If I start the installer from an autorun - I get this error message with and without your wrapper:

64-bit.jpg
Filename
64-bit.jpg
File size
15.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If I start the setup.exe itself - the wrapper do its work w/o any trouble.
I have attached the Actua Golf 2 autorun and setup.exe for testing. But it looks like the replacement mechanism works only if you start a setup.exe from the explorer.

Blaze and Blade: Eternal Quest - runs 16-bit starter.exe from the autorun. But there is the 32-bit setup.exe so this trouble can be avoided.
Buggy - IS starts but wants Win95. Something wrong with my ACT database, it works ok in WinXpSp3...
Front Line Fighters (Apache Longbow, F-16 Aggressor, Hind compilation) uses too old IS version. Or not uses IS at all. Attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    ApacheLongbowTest.7z
    File size
    88.99 KiB
    Downloads
    172 downloads
    File comment
    Apache Longbow autorun and installer
    File license
  • Filename
    ActuaGolf2Test.7z
    File size
    487.67 KiB
    Downloads
    160 downloads
    File comment
    Actua Golf 2 autorun and installer
    File license

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 22 of 24, by AxXxB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Actua Golf 2, Andretti Racing, Bio F.R.E.A.K.S - all have autoruns. If I start the installer from an autorun - I get this error message with and without your wrapper
I have attached the Actua Golf 2 autorun and setup.exe for testing. But it looks like the replacement mechanism works only if you start a setup.exe from the explorer.

Hmm. I tried your attachment and it's ok through autorun with IS Wrapper 2.2 (latest) on my Win 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate. I made mini-ISO with these files and it's ok too. I also have access to computer with Win 8.1 x64 but not now, will try on it later.

Blaze and Blade: Eternal Quest - runs 16-bit starter.exe from the autorun. But there is the 32-bit setup.exe so this trouble can be avoided.

This starter.exe is not part of InstallShield 🙁 But you probably already knew this.

Buggy - IS starts but wants Win95. Something wrong with my ACT database, it works ok in WinXpSp3...

I have this problem too. This error is in SETUP.INS script, so this check of Windows version is coded by game maintainer. I'll try to decompile SETUP.INS and find out what exactly checked. Maybe there is an ACT option for avoiding it. Also i don't know would ACT options applied to 16-bit exe also be applied to 32-bit substitution, so it is another thing to find out 😀

Front Line Fighters (Apache Longbow, F-16 Aggressor, Hind compilation) uses too old IS version. Or not uses IS at all. Attached.

Yep, this is not IS.

Thank you very much!

Reply 24 of 24, by JunglePredator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Axxxb:

I have a game that has a Installshield v3.00.107 installer that I'm trying to install on Windows 10 (x64) & I'm getting the "Windows cannot access device" error mentioned on the oldgames.ru forums.

You posted there that you are (were?) trying to fix this error; have you had any progress?